A month of mixed emotions

Huggy75

So, December started well (I was still on holidays in the UK) and upon our return I was geared up for getting on and sorting everything for our permenant move back in March/April. I was fed up of the speculation at work with people asking if I'm moving back or not (just because I'd been on holidays!), so I informed my boss that I would be leaving around that time. I felt much more at ease with this decision and now have something to aim for. Then Christmas and New Year came and I just felt like I was in limbo - not able to start booking anything firm yet as we are still waiting for our Citizenship ceremony before we go. So then the whole head full of 'what if's' came into play and I now keep questioning my decisions. I have no doubt really that the UK is where I now want to be but my indecision seems to be around my 16 month old Son's future. I found myself telling my husband yesterday that it will be hard to take him away from Childcare where he goes twice a week and seems to absolutely love it, but then why would it be hard? He will know no different and I already have him lined up with a lovely lady who does Family Day Care back home with whom his cousins already go to. I'm sure it's normal to have lots of mixed emotions after making these decisions but I seem to be experiencing a sense of guilt too. Will these feelings go away once I start making firm plans, I wonder?

Your son will be just fine! Heis going to be most concerned that he has happy parents and people around him who love him. His future will be just as bright in either first world country. No need for any guilt, you're just doing what's right for you.

Don't worry Hun, he will be great! As long as his mummy is happy he will be! My lo first came to oz when she was 6 months old & is now 2.5. But everyday she talks about being at her nanas house & going back on the big aeroplane. & I know that when we go back in April she will be happy cos her mammy will be!

It is perfectly normal, I hope, I sometimes question our move back in April but I think it is because I have booked the flights. My daughter is nearly six and is going into Grade 1 at the end of the month and although she has some lovely friends at school, she has none at home as no-one plays out after school and she is bored, even of the pool. I know she will be happier in the UK around family, cousins, after school activities, friends that play after school, etc.

With regards to the citizenship ceremony ring the citizenship hotline and they will tell you your ceremony date, obviously it is provisional. I called asking if we were on Australia Day and was informed not but given the date the council have given them.

So, December started well (I was still on holidays in the UK) and upon our return I was geared up for getting on and sorting everything for our permenant move back in March/April. I was fed up of the speculation at work with people asking if I'm moving back or not (just because I'd been on holidays!), so I informed my boss that I would be leaving around that time. I felt much more at ease with this decision and now have something to aim for. Then Christmas and New Year came and I just felt like I was in limbo

I think the "limbo" thing is the problem. I felt like that before Christmas - it was taking too long to get our finances sorted and I just wanted to get SETTLED. I started to consider abandoning our plans to move, just so I could get rid of that "limbo" feeling and get on with a normal life, even if it wasn't the one I really wanted. So maybe that's what's working at the back of your mind.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the "limbo" thing is the problem. I felt like that before Christmas - it was taking too long to get our finances sorted and I just wanted to get SETTLED. I started to consider abandoning our plans to move, just so I could get rid of that "limbo" feeling and get on with a normal life, even if it wasn't the one I really wanted. So maybe that's what's working at the back of your mind.

You've hit the nail on the head, I just feel like I want to be settled in my life now, i.e. decent job, house, spend time with family, get finances sorted for the future etc., etc., instead of the uncertainty of where we will live next, whether we can afford to get back on the property ladder and spending my days off work isolated in an airconditioned apartment because it's too damn hot to go outside!