Do children born in Australia to English parents need a visa to move back to UK

sunshine2012

Hi there

we have lived in Australia for 10 yrs and so excited this is the yr we will finally go home :)

we love Australia and have had the best time we are now citizens of Australia and have a 2 yr old daughter

my question is when we return my daughter has her Australian passport (she is entitled to English passport as both me and husband are English) do I need a visa for her to live in uk (she will have just turned 2)

i plan to get her English passport when we get back

any thoughts?

I believe you can do it without passport, just birth certificate at the border is sufficient.. no visa required.

but as others have said and what I have done is get kids their passports.

simple and took me only 2 weeks from moment I put it in the post till I got back through my letter box

Thanks I was hoping rob wait til she was 5 to get English passport only as u have to get new ones then but will look into now we leave in 8 wks so hope I can get it in time :)

You need a new child passport every 5 years, so you can apply for one now and then you do not need to get another passport for 5 years.

You need a new child passport every 5 years, so you can apply for one now and then you do not need to get another passport for 5 years.

Really I read you have to renew both British and oz passports when children turn 5 yrs old no matter when their passports previous were issued ?

Really I read you have to renew both British and oz passports when children turn 5 yrs old no matter when their passports previous were issued ?

No. That's nonsense.

Children's passports are valid for 5 years from the time they are issued. This applies to both the UK and Australian child passports.

"Children's passports are normally valid for five years." - https://www.passports.gov.au/web/newppt/applyingu18.aspx

"Children's passports are normally valid for five years." - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/309596/Guidance_notes_4_14.pdf

Archived