ACCA not recognised as Bachelors degree

budeman

Hello,

Am hoping someone could offer some advice.

My wife and I applied for a 189 visa using my ACCA qualification (full member) to apply as an accountant. My assessment form from the ICAA states that the ACCA qualification is equivalent to a Bachelors degree and when I inquired with a migration agent previously they also stated this was correct. So on my visa application I was advised to put down my level of education as that of Bachelors (Other)

We are not going through an agent but all the information we are required to provide has been sent off, we are just waiting the results of the medical and police checks to come through. However I received an email asking for my Bachelors certificate. I replied advising that my ACCA is a Bachelors equivalent but again they responded saying that skills assessment is not evidence of education taken.

I am not sure what do to as it does clearly state on the ICAA assessment that my skills are Bachelors equivalent - I could re-send the documents and highlight areas but reading other posts I feel this is not beneficial.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,

Mark.

Have you sen them a copy of the certificate of you passing the qualification? They say they want to see the evidence

Yes to date I have sent my ACCA membership certificate, a letter of good standing, my exam transcript and my assessment for from the ICAA. Not sure what else I can give them?

Yes to date I have sent my ACCA membership certificate, a letter of good standing, my exam transcript and my assessment for from the ICAA. Not sure what else I can give them?

I don't have any advice to offer but I'd be interested to hear what the outcome is, I am applying for a 189 under 'Management Accountant', I am CIMA qualified and getting my skills assessed through CPA. I don't have a degree either but believe my qualification is regarded as equivalent to a degree.

Good Luck, surely they have made a mistake...

You could try sending them what they are asking! they are asking for your Bachelors Degee certificate yet you are arguing with them that they don't need it. Lesson 1 ...don't argue with government officials. All that happens is that they reject your application outright due to you not providing the documents asked for (which is precisely what you are doing). They are being nice in giving you an extra chance to give them the correct documents and all you have done is effectively say "you don't need that, I have sent you what you need" . They know what they are doing....you don't. So follow their instructions or don't expect to get a visa

You could try sending them what they are asking! they are asking for your Bachelors Degee certificate yet you are arguing with them that they don't need it. Lesson 1 ...don't argue with government officials. All that happens is that they reject your application outright due to you not providing the documents asked for (which is precisely what you are doing). They are being nice in giving you an extra chance to give them the correct documents and all you have done is effectively say "you don't need that, I have sent you what you need" . They know what they are doing....you don't. So follow their instructions or don't expect to get a visa

I don't think you understand - I do not have a Bachelors Certificate. I am a full member of the ACCA which was assessed and decreed equivalent to a Bachelors. Because of this on my EOI my level of education was deemed to be Bachelors (Other) and so awarded 15 points rather than 10 points for a tertiary skill. Obviously as I put Bachelors (indicating all the while that my qualification was an ACCA membership) on my EOI, I replicated this on my Visa application.

Because of this when they asked for my Bachelors I thought that providing all my documents relating to my ACCA qualification would be sufficient.

I was just wondering if anyone else here had been in a similar situation who could offer advice....

I don't know what I selected when I completed my application recently but I only received 10 points for my CIMA qualification based on the selection I made.

CIMA is also equivalent to a bachelor's degree...

I will try to have a look at my application later as I'd imagine were in a similar position qualification wise.. but don't understand why yours would be worth 15 and mine 10? (I was surprised when I was only awarded 10, as I too thought I would get 15).

I hope for your sake you haven't over claimed by selecting the wrong option somewhere.

met the requirements for:

(a) the award of a doctorate by an

Australian educational institution; or

(b) the award of a doctorate, by another

educational institution, that the Minister is

satisfied is of a recognised standard – 20 points

met the requirements for:

(a) the award of at least a bachelor

degree by an Australian educational

institution; or

(b) the award of at least a bachelor

degree by another educational institution,

that the Minister is satisfied is of a

recognised standard - 15 points

met the requirements for the award of a

diploma by an Australian educational

institution – 10 points

met the requirements for the award of a

trade qualification by an Australian

educational institution – 10 points

attained a qualification or award recognised

by the relevant assessing authority for the

applicant’s nominated skilled occupation as

being suitable for the occupation – 10 points

I think you are mixing up two things. A trade qualification may be equivalent to a degree when it comes to assessing skills, but it is not actually a degree. The visa application giving points is looking for actual degrees.

This is an interesting thread: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/156621-overclaiming-eoi-instant-application-refusal.html

That's where I think the OP may have made an error and why the CO isn't satisfied. Accounting qualifications are seen as equivalent to degrees... but they aren't degrees.

Ok I can see where you are coming from there it makes sense as to why they keep asking. The only reason I put it down as Bachelors (Other) was because I would not have had enough points on the EOI if I had put it down as a trade qualification. Putting it down as Bachelors (Other) gave me the 15 points I needed.

Based on the info I put down for the EOI I got my invite so I thought I needed to put the same info down so as to be consistent.

Any advice on what to do?

Thanks.

ICAA.jpg

ICAA.jpg

Ignore Scattley, you are well within your grounds to go back and say that you don't have a bachelor's degree and the points claimed are as equivalent of a bachelor degree.

I am ACCA, and have recently been granted the 189. My agent sent through my examination transcript, and membership certificate which substitutes the Bachelors.

Stand your ground and be clear with your case officer. Sometimes they can be blinkered...

Good luck with the application.

Ignore Scattley, you are well within your grounds to go back and say that you don't have a bachelor's degree and the points claimed are as equivalent of a bachelor degree.

I am ACCA, and have recently been granted the 189. My agent sent through my examination transcript, and membership certificate which substitutes the Bachelors.

Stand your ground and be clear with your case officer. Sometimes they can be blinkered...

Good luck with the application.

Phew, thanks for the reply - good to hear advice from someone who has been in the exact same position.

Out of interest, did you put down Bachelors as your level of education or something else? If so did you have any issues with them?

Thanks,

I am also an ACCA member with no any onther degree , I have not yet applied for visa but will do it when i will get 7 bands in ielt , But i am scared that i might face the same situation as you are facing , So finally what result you got ??? And how many points you claimed ?? IMO if you had used an agent you might not have faced this situation as using an experianced agent give good and desired result.

Syed :)

Yes. I did use my ACCA qualification as the equivilent of abachelors in my application, and this have me the points I needed. They assessed it as equivilent to an Australian bachelors degree, and I was granted my visa without any hurdles.

As I said, the only information I gave to my agent to supply as evidence was my certificate of membership and exam trascript.

These threads would be so much more useful if those that have no experience in the matter at hand didn't chime in to confuse and scaremonger!!!

Keeping working at your application, but make sure you don't take my job when you get there!

Yes. I did use my ACCA qualification as the equivilent of abachelors in my application, and this have me the points I needed. They assessed it as equivilent to an Australian bachelors degree, and I was granted my visa without any hurdles.

As I said, the only information I gave to my agent to supply as evidence was my certificate of membership and exam trascript.

These threads would be so much more useful if those that have no experience in the matter at hand didn't chime in to confuse and scaremonger!!!

Keeping working at your application, but make sure you don't take my job when you get there!

Hi , This is not the point you are talking about , all people know ACCA is recognized as australian bachelor , the point is why budeman got 10 points on his ACCA membership and why they are asking him for bachelor hons certificate as ACCA himself equal to a bachelor..............

Attachment

This clearly states that the ACCA membership counts as equivalent of Bachelors for the purpose of awarding points for the General Skills Migration points test. Unless this is just inserting text that you have typed yourself, it looks clear to me that you should be claiming 15 points - as you did. It is not too late to seek the assistance of a registered migration agent who should have handled similarish things before.

How ridiculous is it that a professional qualification is treated as inferior to a degree!? I am only ACCA part qualified but was able to get a visa based on my degree whereas a friend of mine is ACA qualified yet had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get his.

Sorry that doesn't offer any constructive but had to be said.

How ridiculous is it that a professional qualification is treated as inferior to a degree!? I am only ACCA part qualified but was able to get a visa based on my degree whereas a friend of mine is ACA qualified yet had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get his.

Sorry that doesn't offer any constructive but had to be said.

It is not a matter of an applicant satisfying all the criteria for a visa, it is a matter of an applicant satisfying the minister's delegate (case officer) that all the criteria are satisfied. Provided a case officer makes an honest attempt to exercise jurisdiction, s/he faces no consequences for being wrong. There have been numerous applicants who satisfied the criteria and were refused visas, because the did not satisfy the delegate (case officer).

It is not a matter of an applicant satisfying all the criteria for a visa, it is a matter of an applicant satisfying the minister's delegate (case officer) that all the criteria are satisfied. Provided a case officer makes an honest attempt to exercise jurisdiction, s/he faces no consequences for being wrong. There have been numerous applicants who satisfied the criteria and were refused visas, because the did not satisfy the delegate (case officer).

It's a bit disappointing (and frustrating) that there isn't more consistency based around satisfying criteria for a Visa especially considering the amount of money that is paid.

Regarding the CO's, the emails that I have had back have been from different people, so I didn't think that my case was just being handled by just the one person?

It's a bit disappointing (and frustrating) that there isn't more consistency based around satisfying criteria for a Visa especially considering the amount of money that is paid.

You can say that again.

Regarding the CO's, the emails that I have had back have been from different people, so I didn't think that my case was just being handled by just the one person?

They used to be, but now GSM applications are handled by 'teams', as far as I can tell it is a case of first up- best dressed. At the end of the day a (section 65) authorised delegate has to make the decision.

I had a look to see if any cases similar to yours had gone to review, but I did not find one.

Archived