Advice on Perth suburbs please!

clairecobb

Not sure which category to post this in...

I am looking to move to the Perth suburbs with my husband and two year old son and just looking for advice really on nice areas to live. My husband is a painter and decorator. Looking for advice on..

Good places for employment

Good locations for schools

Nice family friendly locations

Many thanks

I think with something like your husbands occupation you may not necessarily find all the work within the surrounding suburbs of where you live. My hubby is a broadcasting engineer, his office base is in Malaga but his work takes him from Yanchep to Dunsborough. My place of work was static so we worked around that. For us, it was the best house we could afford in the suburb we liked rather than the biggest house. As Fifi says - can you give a bit more info re budget, coastal etc.,

I would suggest the suburbs in either the furthest North or furthest South of Perth where new suburbs are still being built - there will be plenty of work for your OH and house prices are cheaper than closer to the city centre. The transport links mostly run North/South so if you do want to go into the city it's about 40 mins by train.

The downside is these kind of suburbs is they lack character (similar to new housing estates in the UK) and facilities tend to follow behind the houses, they also attract a lot of migrants - which can be a plus depending on how you look at it.

Thank you Lady Rainicorn...really helpful...and exactly what we were thinking!

A bit more info...

Budget - $400 per week for renting, $450,000 for buying.

Would like to be near the coast if possible.

Transport links (main roads) would be good if OH is travelling around.

OH will travel up to an hour for work

Good schools

We like new builds and older character houses, so flexible here

Thanks!

A bit more info...

Good schools

Thanks!

You really need to up your budget for rent unless your looking further out like Butler etc

A bit more info...

Good schools

Thanks!

Hello clairecobb.

I have lived in Perth we are currently back in the UK contemplating a return to WA.

OK, the budget for renting might be a little low if you want a 4x2 but not impossible.

I'd consider Secret Harbour or Baldivis to the South they are both close to the coast more so Secret harbour with good links via train to the city. They would meet the price criteria that you have set out. To give you an example we have a house in a nice part of Baldivis that's walking distance from the Baldivis North Primary school that cost $407K to buy and it's rented out for $420 per week. The $407 might be slightly misleading as we spent circa $15k upgrading & decorating to get it to a decent standard, it still needs another $15k spent on it to make it perfect but it's perfectly acceptable as a rental. I reckon $450K would buy a move in condition 4x2 in either suburb, with $420 - $460 per week covering rent.

The schooling is probably middle of the road but more than adequate for most, there also fee paying options in the area.

I have a few friends that live in the Northern equivalent suburb of Clarkson, I think it may be a bit more expensive but I'm sure a posh Norf of the river resident will come along and clarify:biggrin:

When we looked at Butler the only High School option was Clarkson and it had an awful reputation - there was a new school opening and we left a couple of years ago and places change. Secret Harbour High School got a lot of bad press too - security guards on the buses, again that was a couple of years back.

Unfortunately the correlation tends to be cheaper the rent in an area, poorer the school. 'good school' and low rent don't go together though there are some gems about, it is finding them that is the problem. If your son is only 2 then he won't be stating school for a couple of years so you have plenty of time to suss out the schools.

There are heaps of suburbs North, probably starting at Clarkson and heading North as far as Yanchep that would fit your bill. Every time I head up that way I am surprised by how many new houses have been built along with a lot of infrastructure, parks, pubs, shops, to go along with the new suburbs.

I think kids schooling and how they turn out is more to do with the individual rather than the school they go to. Our eldest went to Ocean Reef, never knew him do hardly any homework, usual response was "did it at school", did OK at school, enjoyed going and had some good friends who he's still friendly with, didn't pull any trees up academically but never wanted to go to uni so didn't exactly try hard. He always wanted an apprenticeship and was offered two, one plumbing and one electrician, he chose electrician and has never looked back. Did well in his apprenticeship without much help from us and now has a decent job earning good money.

Youngest we paid to go to a "private" school as he has autism and they had a stream for kids with learning difficulties. Private schools here aren't anything like the cost they are in the UK, more expensive than state schools but not massively so. Again he enjoyed going, which is half the battle and is in work. He'll never be a genius but he got through school and has a job. It's an option and there are a few of them around. Helps if you are a bit religious, we aren't at all but pretended to be for the school interview.

I know the Northern suburbs a lot better than the Southern ones but I'm sure there are equivalent Southern ones, I've been to Secret Harbour and liked it. There would be work in those suburbs for your hubby for some time to come, along with the ability to afford somewhere near the coast.

Archived