Argh! School Dilemna! Help!!

Guest Kate10

Hi everyone,

We've been living happily in Perth for three years. We have two small kids, the oldest will start pre-primary in Feb. The problem is that we have two local public schools. School A was our school of choice, but we are slightly out of the local intake area and it is local intake only. School A has fantastic results in Naplan, has a lot of great in-school programs, has lots of parental support, and is located in very wealthy area (median house price $1.2m!). We met the v-principal at the beginning of the year and were told we would almost certainly get a place. We didn't get one initially and there has been a lot of messing since (mis-communication etc) but have just been told that we have a place for our little girl. School is about 1km from our house.

School B in the meantime has already offered us a place - we are in the intake zone for this school so its automatic. This school is just around the corner from our new house. It has ok Naplan results and area is very nice but still up and coming - lots of lovely newer houses but some areas with a few dodgy flats/units. School has some good programs and principal (we met her) is fab, very enthusiastic and says all the right things (but school has had a lot of principals over past 5 years). School probably has more mixed ethnic background than other school. Parental support is mixed - on the one hand a really active P&C committee who seem to do great things, on the other hand I saw on one of the school newsletters that they had to cancel swimming lessons for a couple of the classes because not enough parents would contribute. Despite the negatives we were committed to this school and happy with our choice, although we both thought that the kids might need us to be more committed to them at home if they were not going to get enough at school (both kids are bright). We have also brought our little girl to the school to introduce her to the environment etc.

So now we have to decide do we take the place in School A!! I'm so torn. We were emotionally committed to School B, to sending our kids to the school around the corner, to helping the school community work to improve the school and move it forward, etc etc. The other school has done a lot of messing, and there is no guarantee that we will get our little boy a place when his time comes as we are out of area - they say they prioritize for siblings and its unlikely there will be a problem but of course no guarantees. Having said that School A is obviously excellent academically which can only be a good thing for two bright kids.

Truth is I just don't have enough info to make this decision! This is the problem with being an ex-pat - I don't have the contacts to find out the inside scoop on these schools and what it is really like to go there.

Anyone have a view?? Sorry for the rant!

Thanks,

Kate.

Schooling is a dilemma that all of us parents face. At PP level I wouldn't stress too much. If your child is indeed bright then they will do well at both schools and for me it is more about the actual teacher than the school itself. My youngest is very bright but has had a terrible year this year due to a poor teacher. As both schools are close to one another I would go with your gut feeling. A kilometre isn't a long way, our local primary is that far from my house. Hopefully you have thought ahead about high schools and are in catchment for a good one.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. It does sound a little crazy to freak out I know but with all the disruption my little girl has already had I definitely do not want to have to move primary schools if things don't work out for some reason. I'm leaning towards the school that is better academically as the safer choice...

Thanks Northernbird ...yes good secondary school catchment thankfully!

I am going to disagree with the above posters based on bring up two children who are now adults. I would give anything for them to have attended excellent schools.

If I could turn back time, I would have sent them to the best private schools possible (eton?) I have, in the professions, seen it make such a HUGE difference.

• 3 months later...

I'd say that kids who will do well, do so anywhere, however, they will do better again in a better environment. That is just common sense and the fact you are even asking the questions means you partially believe that too. You have an opportunity to set them on the best track, why would your desire to help build a school community be more important than choosing the best school. School B can build a community with its other kids who weren't preoccupied by this dilemma.

Good luck.

School A would win for me. What else do we move half way round the world for than to give our kids the best possible future? If School B has had many changes of staff already, it could change again just as quickly and then you'd have lost your chance at School A, and might not get another one.

Archived