Everyone I want to talk to is asleep

fourcorners

We've just had 4 days to decide our future pathway. It was a choice between a job offer in Ontario, with relocation assistance, and moving back to the UK and being self-employed. We swung between the two quite a lot and yesterday decided to be brave and work for ourselves in the UK. The deadline for the Canadian job was yesterday 5pm their time.

Sometimes you never know if you made the right choice but I've just learned via Facebook that my Grandad has died. We were asleep when my Dad tried to Skype, and of course they are all asleep now. For us it's confirmed we've made the right choice already. We can't be absent again for these events, it's too hard on us and on our families.

Yesterday we picked a date, the end of March, for our return. I want to be home for our daughters first birthday in April. It gives us time to give our tenants notice in Cornwall and to sort out everything but not rushing. We are ready for this now. Ultimately we made the choice for family and the UK lifestyle, and work is a secondary consideration.

Thanks everyone, it certainly is a weight off our shoulders.

The uncertainty in the gold price played a small part in convincing us against Canada (where they were operating at a loss a few weeks ago - even worse now).

Fortunately my boss has offered me some work from home which will tide us over, I'll be working more on our international projects rather than Australian ones. And you never know tin prices may rise enough to give confidence to companies looking at Cornwall again, although I'll only believe it when I see it!

Feeling quite emotional for you, maybe the loss of your Granddad but I think more with empathy at how you must feel now the decision is made and being home for your daughters first birthday, just fantastic xxxx

Sorry I missed this at the time and so sorry to hear your sad news! I'm with Melza - people first! You've made the right decision based on the information available to you today so I hope it all works out for you! Sadly the market is all out of crystal balls!

Archived