Does my British born son need a visa to work in the UK?

Bob1

My son was born in England and we moved to Australia when he was age 2 using his British passport which we let expire. He is now 19 and has returned to the UK for two months as a cousin has offered him paid work experience and he entered using his Aussie passport. He was warned at immigration at the airport that he wasn't to work and he said he was visiting relatives. It has just occurred to us that he could be in trouble! He'll pay tax and he needs a National Insurance Number. Would it be wrong of him to work as a lapsed British citizen and having entered the country as an Australian?

Advice needed.

British citizenship - born on or after 1 January 1983

If you were born on or after 1 January 1983, you will be a British citizen if your mother or father was either:

- a British citizen when you were born

- ‘settled’ in the UK when you were born

In most cases you will be a British citizen if your mother or father was born or naturalised in the UK.

If you were born before July 2006, your father’s British nationality will pass to you only if he was married to your mother at any time.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/british-passport-eligibility

As he entered on an Australian passport he is there as a tourist, I would suggest he contacts UK Visas and Immigration. He is a British citizen - he would have never had a British passport otherwise do this should not be an issue. If his expired passport is available that would help him but is not essential.

A little truth bending is advised - this opportunity has arisen since entering the UK. It is possible he may need to leave and reenter on a British passport but he'd only need a day trip to France.

Shouldn't really be an necessary.

An expired British Passport and his birth certificate still proves he is a British Citizen.

A British citizen is entitled to live and work in the UK so he shouldn't be in to much trouble just needs to show those supporting docs.

But for practicality he probably should renew his British passport.

Archived