Cane Toad in the garden

Dawn2002

Id feel awful killing anything, even if it is a 'pest' It is still a living being. And for every one that you see...there will be 10 more. Eliminating one isn't going to do anything in regards to easing the pest problem. Id try move it way. Down the bottom of the garden or over the fence.

I'm not sure I could bring myself to kill one but I'm pretty sure my boyfriend could manage it! Particularly when they hae such a negative effect on the actual native wildlife (which is under attack from all directions as it is).

Reminds me of the little johnny joke:

Teacher - "And Sally what did you do on the weekend?"

Sally - " Well miss, I went to my friends house and we played Barbies all day"

Teacher - "That's nice dear. Now Timmy, what did you do on the weekend?"

Timmy - "Well miss, I played my Playstation and went for a big bike ride"

Teacher - "Excellent. Now Johnny, what did you do on the weekend?"

Little Johnny - "Miss, me and my brother spent most of Saturday sticking firecrackers up cane toads arses"

Teacher - "That's rectum Johnny. Rectum"

Little Johnny - "That's right Miss....farken wrecked 'em"

I found two bloody cane toads in my swimming pool. Relocated them up the road as couldn't face having them in the freezer. Absolutely hate them :(

Sadly moving them down the road just allows them to breed more of the rotten things.If you cant stand them in the freezer put them in a strong plastic bag and put them in the dust bin. Yes that sounds cruel but - They are found both in urban areas and out bush in grassland and woodland country. The ability of Cane Toads to breed and multiply is considerable with females producing 8,000 to 35,000 eggs at a time. The damage they are doing to Australian wild life is huge. http://www.parksandwildlife.nt.gov.au/wildlife/canetoads#.VHJCK8lr-_I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toad

Edited by Tina2

Sadly moving them down the road just allows them to breed more of the rotten things.If you cant stand them in the freezer put them in a strong plastic bag and put them in the dust bin. Yes that sounds cruel but - They are found both in urban areas and out bush in grassland and woodland country. The ability of Cane Toads to breed and multiply is considerable with females producing 8,000 to 35,000 eggs at a time. The damage they are doing to Australian wild life is huge. http://www.parksandwildlife.nt.gov.au/wildlife/canetoads#.VHJCK8lr-_I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toad

Doesn't matter what the animal is, it should be put down humanely. Not suffering undue pain.

Doesn't matter what the animal is, it should be put down humanely. Not suffering undue pain.

Well may be we need a drop off point where people can simply drop them into a large freezer, even negotiate with "WIRES"who rescue wild life. "Something" needs to be done in a hurry. What about people on comunitee service send them out to start catching the rotten things.

Every year here Council organises a toad cull; at night families go out (usually around the Botanic Gardens area) and gather them into buckets, where they are then passed on to RSPCA officers who check them to make sure they are cane toads, not native bullfrogs or something, then they euthanise them using carbon dioxide. It has made a significant difference to the local population

Every year here Council organises a toad cull; at night families go out (usually around the Botanic Gardens area) and gather them into buckets, where they are then passed on to RSPCA officers who check them to make sure they are cane toads, not native bullfrogs or something, then they euthanise them using carbon dioxide. It has made a significant difference to the local population

Just out of interest where are you located ? This is something that ALL councils should be doing especially in QLD and NT, we simply cant allow them to take hold in Kakado

Just out of interest where are you located ? This is something that ALL councils should be doing especially in QLD and NT, we simply cant allow them to take hold in Kakado

Far too late for that @Tina2. I killed 4 one night at a semi desert pool in the far west of the Territory and have seen lot around Lake Argyle in WA.

Cheers, Bobj.

Far too late for that @Tina2. I killed 4 one night at a semi desert pool in the far west of the Territory and have seen lot around Lake Argyle in WA.

Cheers, Bobj.

Never to late bobj, get people out there and start collecting the darned things, if nothing else it will reduce the numbers, and every dead toad is one less to bred and one less to kill native wild life. We have clean up Australia day why cant we have a clean up cane toad day

How to identify a Cane Toad - http://www.feralscan.org.au/docs/Is%20it%20a%20cane%20toad%20Identifying%20toads.pdf

Methods for the field euthanasia of cane toads - official ones from Department of the Environment

Stunning followed by decapitation

Gassing with carbon dioxide for >4 hours

Spraying with Hopstop®

RSPCA reflects these - http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-the-most-humane-way-to-kill-a-cane-toad_299.html

Methods that are NOT considered acceptable for field euthanasia of cane toads (by the Department of the Environment)

Rapid Freezing or Cooling Followed by Freezing - ah, doesn't appear this is acceptable as it seems there are issues about cruelty.

Benzocaine gel

Clove oil solution

Dettol®

AQUI-S®

Edited by Croft
Bad spelling!

They can shoot brumbies and camels from a helicopter and dont check to see if they are dead, yet according to the RSPCA report we almost have to have a burial service for Cane Toads.

Seems this stuff is probably the most officially acceptable way of getting rid of them.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/300g-hopstop-cane-toad-control-aerosol-spray_p3010127

Mackay. When I first moved here they were in plague proportions on the roads after every rain, following the cull starting this you don't see that many on the roads (and yes, we used to do our best to run them over). So while one female can lay many eggs indeed, a concerted effort to get rid of them once or twice a year works well in the suburbs though is impractical for the bush.

You can ask council if there's any objection to starting a cull program, the main thing is getting hold of the gas bottles. I'm sure on local TV they were talking about another one soon and the best way to rid them in the meantime.

I'm on the Gold Coast, used to live near Surfers and never saw much wildlife except the Lorikeets. Now the Hinterland side of the M1 so much more about, we had a beautiful big Green Tree Frog in the garden last night.

I would love a drop off point, when I called the council they really weren't interested. If I see another, I shall be catching it and getting the Hopstop.

I'm on the Gold Coast, used to live near Surfers and never saw much wildlife except the Lorikeets. Now the Hinterland side of the M1 so much more about, we had a beautiful big Green Tree Frog in the garden last night.

I would love a drop off point, when I called the council they really weren't interested. If I see another, I shall be catching it and getting the Hopstop.

Ah now your sounding like a queenslander :)