Applying for UK jobs from oz

Helz980

Those of you who are going or already back in the UK. Did you apply for jobs before you went back? How did that work ie you obviously told them you were in oz etc. it seems a ridiculous question but when we came to oz we applied for jobs when we got there as luckily we had spare cash to fund this, the way back though this isn't possible!

Plan is I go back first then hubby follows....if he comes at all....

Hi Helz, I started applying 4 months before. Hooked up with some recruiters, met one the day after we landed who found me a job after 5 weeks. In all honesty, if you are not a specialized person or work in a niche market, or get a transfer? they mostly want to see you or that you be in the UK. But, if you set up appointments and hit the ground running it can take as little as 3-4 weeks. There are also temp agencies to tie you over with general work. My OH worked shifts on a shop floor for 8 weeks then moved into a manager role. Depending on your area, the market generally seems good, even recruiters say it is better niw than 1 year ago. Good luck!

Hi Helz, I started applying 4 months before. Hooked up with some recruiters, met one the day after we landed who found me a job after 5 weeks. In all honesty, if you are not a specialized person or work in a niche market, or get a transfer? they mostly want to see you or that you be in the UK. But, if you set up appointments and hit the ground running it can take as little as 3-4 weeks. There are also temp agencies to tie you over with general work. My OH worked shifts on a shop floor for 8 weeks then moved into a manager role. Depending on your area, the market generally seems good, even recruiters say it is better niw than 1 year ago. Good luck!

Thanks!! First thing I need to do is update my cv! I'm a bit worried though cos I've not worked since I had my daughter! But I will not be phased by the challenge. I need to get my project manager head on & get the ball rolling!!

I got offered a job in the UK a few months ago. It was at a university and the interview was by skype. I turned it down in the end as it was all so rushed and I decided I wasn't ready to return to work (DD would have been 5 months old by the start date). But I was thrilled to have been offered it and it gave an enormous confidence boost!

You can do anything if you put your mind to it, and you never know until you give it a go. One important point I made on the initial application was that we were willing to self-fund our move back as I think a lot of employers will be put off if they think they have to help fund your return or wait a long time for you. You need to give the impression that your move back is no more of an obstacle than a move within the UK (which is largely true!).

Good luck!

I got offered a job in the UK a few months ago. It was at a university and the interview was by skype. I turned it down in the end as it was all so rushed and I decided I wasn't ready to return to work (DD would have been 5 months old by the start date). But I was thrilled to have been offered it and it gave an enormous confidence boost!

You can do anything if you put your mind to it, and you never know until you give it a go. One important point I made on the initial application was that we were willing to self-fund our move back as I think a lot of employers will be put off if they think they have to help fund your return or wait a long time for you. You need to give the impression that your move back is no more of an obstacle than a move within the UK (which is largely true!).

Good luck!

thank you!! Luckily hubby will be staying here to work longer plus we still own our house & have a good family who can help so asking employers to fund a move back I'd never even thought of it!! Lol. I know I can do this I've been through worse!

Thanks!! First thing I need to do is update my cv! I'm a bit worried though cos I've not worked since I had my daughter! But I will not be phased by the challenge. I need to get my project manager head on & get the ball rolling!!

Reach out to a CV writer in the UK, there are a few on line, for around 40 quid they'll write you up a brand new CV, covering letter and Linkedin profile if you want one of thise too! You can then tweak and change parts for every job you apply for.

DH has applied for a few jobs in the UK - all via various online job websites in his field. He has also spoken with a couple of recruiters and it was through one of these he got a Skype interview with a UK company. Unfortunately, before the interview date they hired a guy in the UK who could start in two weeks so DH missed out.

He is getting around the Aus address on his CV by saying "I am a British citizen and in the process of moving back to the UK" in his cover letter (or in the comments section of online applications) so they know he is entitled to work in the UK, can start soon(ish) and they will not have to pay for his return!

Now that we have booked our flights he is able to give a definite arrival date which will help.

The recruitment agents seem very keen but I think he'll have to be in the UK to land a good job in his field as both the recruiters and the employers prefer to meet people in person - especially as his job is client facing and dealing with stakeholders a major component - it might be different for other job types.

He hasn't been able to apply for any contract roles as the timeline is too short but there does seem to be a fair few contracts out there.

Definitely update your LinkedIn profile and also make sure your Facebook page is either very inoffensive or has high privacy settings. My friend is a recruiter in Dubai and one of the first things she does is check out the applicant's FB page!

I expect every profession will be different, and probably location with in the UK. I came back to London in June and was pretty apprehensive but was offered three jobs within the first two weeks of being back. I decided to turn them all down have summer off to visit friends scattered around England and Europe and took one in September, when the was equally no shortage of work.

At the very least though I would make people in your work network from before you left aware.

Yes I will be @auntagatha!! I might try old networks but seeing as I worked for the government might be no good!! Thanks for all your advice though! Plus I'm not sure what I want to do lol, just got to get out there & have a look!! Hubby on the other hand has put his head in the sand again tut. I need to get my flights booked soon at this rate ill be coming back with just a bag & leaving the material stuff in a skip & starting from scratch! I honestly wish I'd never come back to oz.

I guess it depends on what area of work you do but I'm currently in the UK on holidays and before I left saw an advert at my old workplace so decided to apply mostly for the interview experience and to put it out there about my intended return. Anyway, I've been offered my old job and able to choose my hours and their holding the job for me until we can get back! So as soon as we get back to Oz it will be all hands on deck to get the ball rolling :-)

I am planning on returning to the UK mid way through 2015. Obviously getting a job is going to be a priority! I have signed up with a few recruitment sites (Jobsite and Reed)

I am getting daily job alerts sent to my email based on my preferences - which is great because it gives me a good idea of what jobs are available (and an idea of salary!) and a couple of recruiters have also been in touch with jobs they think I would be suitable for. (I have since updated my information so that they know I am not available until mid 2015!)

It gives my confidence a boost knowing there are jobs out there so hopefully I can hit the ground running when I arrive!

I have a query though. Obviously all of my recent references are based in Australia. Is it worth getting written references from my Aussie employers, or would just providing their phone and email on my resume suffice? (noting for them not to call Perth at 3am!)

Archived