What to bring?

MovingtoTasmania

So far, this is what I'm bringing (shipping)

My bed with pillows, duvet and enough bedding to last a few years.

My bedroom furniture but not wardrobes as they are built in

A small 3 drawer cabinet

3-4 boxes of toys per child

Wii, wii fit and that drumset/guitar thing for wii

Xbox

Guitar

Single duvets with plentiful covers

Pillows with plentiful pillowcases

Rugs - washed

Ornaments and knick knacks, maybe 3 boxes

About a zillion boxes of books

Towels

Tea towels

Dishcloths

A few boxes of DVD's

More than a few boxes of CD's

A couple of boxes of photos but they are all loose, will they be okay or should I get albums for them?

Dinner set

Cutlery

An English DVD Player

DAB radio

Karaoke machine

Kitchen equipment such as my blender, slow cooker, dough mixer etc.

Microwave - Is this worth it??

Shoes

Clothing overspill

Artwork

That's all really.

Is there anything you would recommend that I buy and bring over as I'm only shipping about 3/4 of container and paying for sole use. Should I cram cleaning products and toiletries in to all the drawers?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are paying for the container then fill it with anything and everything. If you don't want to pay for a container then radically Declutter and start afresh. The older I get the more liberating I find the declutter option. When we moved to UK it was basically what fitted into the backpack! I am now in the throes of decluttering our Aussie house of all the stuff I haven't used in 3 years. My husband would say take books and tools and I would be loathe to part with my yarn stash (ever impractical!)

I have a list for this! The things we are taking, are:

Computer stuff

Bed linen

Duvets (not pillows)

Towels

Cutlery / other decent knives etc

Good pots / pans

Tools

Personal / sentimental bits, ornaments etc

Pictures (OH doesn't want to but I do)

Obviously clothes, jewellery etc, mainly in suitcases/as hand luggage

Not sure about books or DVDs - might keep a few but not all

I've put all my CDs on a hard drive so won't need them

Paperwork and documents that need to be kept

I'm tasked with getting quotes to ship bed (super king) and sofa but I suspect we'll end up getting new ones. None of our other furniture is worth shipping.

We will probably air freight the things we end up taking.

EDIT: Panic, not sure how we are going to replace the stuff we're not taking. My OH has two Chesterfield sofas, which he holds in very high esteem, that have been in storage since he's been in the UK. They'd better not let me down!

No table or chairs there. No sofa. No bookcases, do you keep them all in boxes? What about washing machine/tumble dryer? Pots and pans. Presumably clothes too as you won't get all of them in the cases surely?

I would definitely take the microwave if it were me.

Sorry yes, I am taking a big table with 8 chairs. I got rid of my massive bookcases when I redecorated to sell and packed most of the books up. I've only got about 200 in the house and they crammed on to 2 smaller bookcases which I will be taking. I will buy new bookcases when I know where we are living and what space we have. No sofas as they are not coming due to their passports expiring. Sold the tumble dryer and leaving the washing machine behind, as I will get a new one. I will probably buy new karahis before I leave as mine are well used and well worn and quite scandalous looking or I might just get some from the Indian supermarket over there. Clothes I am going to kit everyone out with a load of new togs from Primani and get them new shoes etc, but 30 kgs is a lot of weight but shoes I will add to the list as they will need shipping, so thank you for that :smile:

If you are paying for the container then fill it with anything and everything. If you don't want to pay for a container then radically Declutter and start afresh. The older I get the more liberating I find the declutter option. When we moved to UK it was basically what fitted into the backpack! I am now in the throes of decluttering our Aussie house of all the stuff I haven't used in 3 years. My husband would say take books and tools and I would be loathe to part with my yarn stash (ever impractical!)

Strange you should say that as I have two boxes of embroidery bits and bobs I am taking as well as knitting needles and crochet hooks! I am decluttering as I'm not lugging loads of old junk with me but I thought I could fill the container with stuff like Wrights Coal Tar Soap (love the smell) and Polytar shampoo (again love the smell lol). Can you think of anything else?

I have a list for this! The things we are taking, are:

Computer stuff

Bed linen

Duvets (not pillows)

Towels

Cutlery

Good pots / pans

Tools

Personal / sentimental ornaments etc

Pictures (OH doesn't want to but I do)

Obviously clothes, jewellery etc

Not sure about books or dvds

I've put all my cds on hard drive so won't need them either

I'm tasked with getting quotes to ship bed (super king) and sofa but I suspect we'll end up getting new ones. None of our other furniture is worth shipping.

We will probably air freight the things we end up keeping

We will take our laptops in hand luggage as well as Kindle etc. Jewellery will go as hand luggage too. I forgot, all the artwork is going too as they are all original one-offs.

You'll need towels, sheets, pans etc when you arrive and will probably buy, so ditch your old stuff unless antiques! :laugh:

I'm going to buy the kids new beds so they can get by until their duvets and bedding arrives and towels etc, I will ship new ones over and just take one each in luggage but don't forget, we are staying with relatives and hopefully, they will have towels and stuff I can borrow until the container arrives.

Yes, some of the things I have are antiques but not in the valuable way, more in the old, tatty, holes in teatowels that I've had 20 years way :biglaugh:

I'm with Quoll, if you've got the container then fill it.

having now been in Perth a few years, mu suggestions would be, clothes, lots and lots of clothes for every season, shoes, especially if any of the family are a half size:confused:. Clothes shops are either dire or v expensive here.

bedding...get as much as you can, when I was back in April, I vacuumed packed lots, quality here is questionable!!

go to Boots and fill your boots!! With anything and everything, apart from perfume, which seems pretty cheap here, but toiletries, skin creams etc aren't.

Tbh.. I wouldn't bother with furniture, it doesn't suit Oz houses, but for some strange reason, I actually thin UK has a better selection of outdoor furniture than Perth and much cheaper. Do you have a dobbies near you?, or even one of the cheaper type shops. Seeing as its about outdoor living here, that's the only furniture I would bring.

Microwaves are cheap here and beds take up too much space. The rest sounds good. Tassie is cold so bring your winter gear, don't chuck it out.

Stacey is right, I need a name change! I'm going to Perth now, not Tasmania as originally planned. The bed is a metal frame so can be dismantled and it's only 4 years old, and the mattress is a really good one so I'm keeping it. I didn't think the microwave was worth it, even though it's quite new as it was very cheap but hubby said let's take it!!

You'll hate me.. I'll be whinging about the weather constantly in summer lol half of pio will have me on block :laugh:

I very much doubt it

I'm with Quoll, if you've got the container then fill it.

having now been in Perth a few years, mu suggestions would be, clothes, lots and lots of clothes for every season, shoes, especially if any of the family are a half size:confused:. Clothes shops are either dire or v expensive here.

bedding...get as much as you can, when I was back in April, I vacuumed packed lots, quality here is questionable!!

go to Boots and fill your boots!! With anything and everything, apart from perfume, which seems pretty cheap here, but toiletries, skin creams etc aren't.

Tbh.. I wouldn't bother with furniture, it doesn't suit Oz houses, but for some strange reason, I actually thin UK has a better selection of outdoor furniture than Perth and much cheaper. Do you have a dobbies near you?, or even one of the cheaper type shops. Seeing as its about outdoor living here, that's the only furniture I would bring.

There's B&M which is cheaper than chips. I will certainly take your advice about clothing and shoes and buy clothes in bigger sizes for the girls but eventually they will have to have Aussie clothes. I could go to B&M and get outdoor furniture but it would be brand new in the box. I guess I could explain on the customs forms that I bought it and kept it for the move. Maybe get away with that and not have to pay tax. The problem is, we don't know what type of property we will end up in and we might not have outdoor space. We might go yuppie and uber sophisticated and live in a city centre penthouse apartment :wink:

Archived