Sydney city trip

fourcandles

Hi all,

we live in Brisbane and are contemplating a short city break soon to Sydney.....because we havn't been yet. There will be 2 adults and 2 boys aged 7 and 11. Can anyone recommend or advise on any reasonably priced hotels or apartments not too far from the CBD? Also any where we should visit in our 3/4day stay. We have looked on websites etc, however, lots of them don't have twin singles for the lads. They could top and tail a double however, from experience I get very wary refereeing the bed wars when its light out! lol. Thanks in advance,

Gary

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Gary

We have near enough lived in hotels down there over the last 18 months. Unfortunately Sydney isn't cheap for accommodation. Do you have a budget in mind?

Also any where we should visit in our 3/4day stay.

No great suggestions for hotels, I'm afraid. Look on Wotif.com, sometimes their mystery stay is good value.

As for what to see - I live in Sydney and love it but actually, there aren't a lot of sights particularly worth seeing apart from the harbour and beaches. The big drawcard is the harbour, which looks absolutely spectacular. Don't worry about a harbour cruise, just get a Family Mymulti Daypass and spend a day hopping on and off the various ferries. If you can arrange for one of your days to be a Sunday, you can do that even more cheaply:

http://www.sydneytrains.info/tickets/which/funday

I'm sure you're planning to see Bondi. If you're energetic types, do the coastal walk from there south to Coogee through the other Eastern Suburbs beaches - some lovely scenery, and the fish and chips at Bronte are among the best in Sydney. Or keep going to Coogee and you'll find a great selection of cafes and restaurants. You can get a bus from the city to Bondi at the start of the walk, and a bus back from Coogee at the end.

Things not to waste your money on:

Luna Park is a fairly average old-style fun park on the edge of the harbour. You'll see trips to the Blue Mountains advertised, but on a short visit I wouldn't bother - they are pretty but not spectacular and it's a very long day. Taronga Zoo is lovely but tickets for your family would be $125. You'll see lots of ads for Madame Tussauds, the Aquarium, Centrepoint tower - but if you've ever been to Madame Tussauds in London you'll be disappointed, the Aquarium is quite small and the view from Centrepoint isn't all that spectacular considering the cost.

Don't confuse the Wild Life Sydney Zoo with a proper zoo - it's a small place at Darling Harbour with a few Australian animals to impress the Japanese tourists.

Last time I went to Sydney I got a great mystery deal on wotif. Well worth checking out, you can often work out what hotel it is anyway by its features.

I paid $99 a night for a pretty good hotel

Taronga Zoo rocks...

Manly ferry trips are always worth it. As is visiting manly and bondi just to say you've been there.

I disagree about the blue mountains, I think a train ride and bus to the three sisters up is really worth it and it's stunning up there and offers something very different.

Chilling around Newtowns pretty good as well if you go for that sort of thing.

And as Daling Harbours been mentioned it;s great to hang around as well.

ooo the Imax as well. Biggest one in the world or southern hemisphere. Either way impressively huge.

Im a fan of the museum as well. it's got some interesting pieces in there if you ask me. And got a great aztec exhibit on at the moment too.

There is a wildlife park near Blacktown which I see from the train and can't think of the name, and The Museum of Fire at Penrith which I also see from train but have not been to either. Featherdale? Wildlife Park?

Museum of Police and Justice I can recommend and Museum of Sydney.

The Botanic gardens is worth a visit and walk through. Right in the City but you don't feel like it, beautiful peaceful walk with amazing harbour views. There is a really nice outdoor 50m pool across from Garden Island, in the gardens that is worth a visit, you could kill a couple of hours in there with the kids if the weathers good enough.

If you go to Bondi there is the Icebergs club (if you're looking out to sea it's on the right with the big outdoor pool). I found on a work trip if you don't live in NSW you can sign in free as a visitor, just show your driving licence. When we were there on holiday it was packed at Bondi as the sculpture by the sea exhibition was on. I had told my wife about the icebergs club and she thought we would never get in as everywhere was packed. We signed in without an issue, got a seat on the balcony, which has views right along Bondi, got a bottle of wine for the wife for about $15 and a drink for the youngster and went for a swim in the pool for an hour.:cool:

Came out and they were enjoying the view and my wife the wine so much we decided to stop for dinner. My son was chatting away to some locals so he was happy. Being a "private" club they do very well priced beer, wine and food, we had a really nice meal and caught a late bus back to the hotel (we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Darling Harbour, really China town). It was one of the nicest days we had out.

Don't make the mistake of getting the expensive restaurant above the club mixed up with the club though. The doors are very close together. It would be an expensive mistake.:laugh:

Archived