Car Hire insurance

miw54

Hello

Just wondered if anyone had any advice re: hiring a car, particularly in respect of the insurance for waiving the excess. It seems as if this costs more than the hire of the car e.g. typically around A$35 per day. Most firms seem to quote an excess of at least A$3000. When we hired from Hertz once before we were told that, in the event of any damage, the full excess amount would be taken from our credit card regardless of the cost of repairing any damage unless, of course, we paid the daily insurance. Is it possible to get a separate insurance at a cheaper rate ? Alternatively does anyone know of a good car rental company that has more reasonable terms. We would be looking at getting a car on or near Brisbane airport if possible.

Many thanks

I guess I can help. During my recent visit to Sydney, I hired a car from Budget but didn't take insurance from them for same reason you have mentioned. However I toll it from trip cover who charged me around $13 per day. They call it excess waiver insurance, google it, you might find some good deal. Ideally I was looking for a year but cost came way too high compared to UK.

Hope this helps.

If just on hols then you can get annual excess insurance for about £50 good if you hire cars a lot. Now we are in Aus our annual holiday insurance covers it up to $6000

Thank you for all replies. This is helpful to know.

Just make sure you dont cut too many corners. Storm damage is a biggy and can hail can write cars off, so make sure whatever policy you get will cover hail, flood, storm damage.

Cal x

Agree, definitely need to read and understand the small print and not just the $ with any insurance outside of the car hire company offerings, as they may be cheaper for a reason. You may be able to negotiate on insurance cost if for a longer hire too.

I would always buy car rental excess insurance independently, it's far cheaper. I think my last one was $40 for 7 days cover (also via Tripcover) compared to about $150 via the rental firm.

What this means is that if you suffer damage, you still have to pay the car rental company a few thousand dollars from your credit card but then you claim that figure back off your own rental excess insurance....it's not an automatic waiver.

It's also possible to get this cover included on your Australian travel insurance...you can normally choose the level of excess cover required then pay extra accordingly.

Some credit cards also cover your rental excess (American Express) but it's less common on Aussie cards.

Guess it depends on how often you'll be hiring cars.

Archived