Permanent Residency

ROO101

Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked many times but things may have changed.

My De Facto partner and I have been living in Australia for nearly 4 years and our 457 is going to run out in January. His company are sponsoring us for our PR which is being processed at the moment. I am having to apply off shore as I'm in the UK with my Dad who is very poorly. My question is if my residency is approved through his company once I have it can it be withdrawn if we separate? Also what are the rules of being in the UK whilst I have residency for Australia. I have to be with my family right now but can it be withdrawn if I spend a certain amount of time off shore??

Many thanks in advance. I love this forum, so helpful!

Once you have PR it is yours independently of your OH. So no if you separate down the line you won't lose it. You will however have to enter Australia to activate your visa once granted by a certain date. The date will be on the grant letter and is usually 12 months from your medical or police check whichever is earliest. If you do not enter Australia by then you will lose the visa, you don't have to stay permanently at that stage though.

Thank you for your help. My partner and I are still very much together although it's been a rough ride. I have been back a year this month as we were told last October that my Dad had less than a year to live. I couldn't leave him as I was fearing the worst. Our migration agent doesn't seem to think it will bea problem getting the PR but I'm getting really concerned. Everything has been submitted and I am waiting to hear about the medical

Hi can't see to much of an issue at the moment with you being granted pr.

Once granted you have pr in your own right regardless of your relationship.

Pr visas have a 5 year travel component. This means that you would have 5 years to be out of oz. After which you would need to attempt a RRV. That may be difficult.

Archived