Costs in Sydney

Sharon D

Hey all . I'm just planning to move out to Sydney in December . Be great if you could give me a rough idea of budget that's realistic for 2 bed apt Sydney . Nothing fancy but good area reqd pref close to Bondi . Also roughly budget for food etc . Quite hard to figure out when your not there ! Can't wait soo hyped .. Thanks in advance x

Hey all . I'm just planning to move out to Sydney in December . Be great if you could give me a rough idea of budget that's realistic for 2 bed apt Sydney . Nothing fancy but good area reqd pref close to Bondi . Also roughly budget for food etc . Quite hard to figure out when your not there ! Can't wait soo hyped .. Thanks in advance x

Sydney is by far the most expensive city in Australia. If you look at London compared to the rest of the UK, it's a fair comparison. A small 2 bedroom apartment in an older-style block without parking in the Eastern Suburbs will cost you around $600 a week to rent, or upwards of $600,000 to buy.

Do you need a two bedroom place? Maybe a one bedroom unit would suffice?

If you are on your own, then you could look for a shared house.

Have a look on Gumtree if that is the case.

There is nothing wrong with moving west of the CBD to get a cheaper place to live, apart from longer commuting times, depending on where you plan to work?

Yes, Sydney IS expensive, but then it always was, and it is Australia's "Big Apple!" (& you can take a bite too!)

Thank you both good to reconsider my original thoughts . Perhaps a one bed would be ok and will look out of the city aswell. Cheers

Don't give up on your dream! I know this Irish guy whom I met on his first night in Sydney - we shared the same bedroom at the YHA at Central - he was on a WHV and the next time I saw him, a couple of years later, he had got his 457 visa. I think he's been here five years now. He lives in share houses, usually a room in a terrace house here in Surry Hills, which I think costs him $250-300 per week.

If you dream of living at Bondi Beach, then do it! (Or Coogee, Manly, Cronulla, Narrabeen perhaps, I always feel nostalgic for Narrabeen because I lived there in the 80's with my parents and brothers. As far as the Eastern Subs beaches go, then I prefer Clovelly and Bronte to Bondi and Coogee, but that is just me.

It's slightly out of context but I think Oscar Wilde said that 'a cynic is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.' I hear similar things from people trying to discourage others from coming to Sydney.

Just my opinion! (Now let me get out and spend more money than I should in 'Sin City!')

Don't give up on your dream! I know this Irish guy whom I met on his first night in Sydney - we shared the same bedroom at the YHA at Central - he was on a WHV and the next time I saw him, a couple of years later, he had got his 457 visa. I think he's been here five years now. He lives in share houses, usually a room in a terrace house here in Surry Hills, which I think costs him $250-300 per week.

If you dream of living at Bondi Beach, then do it! (Or Coogee, Manly, Cronulla, Narrabeen perhaps, I always feel nostalgic for Narrabeen because I lived there in the 80's with my parents and brothers. As far as the Eastern Subs beaches go, then I prefer Clovelly and Bronte to Bondi and Coogee, but that is just me.

>>>

@MARYROSE02 In terms of costs, are Bronte and Coogee any better value? - (I know nothing is 'cheap' in Sydney!)

We are still looking at potential places to live. It's hard to get a decent picture, but we need to try before we arrive next year.

There are too many factors to list here quickly - so I thought i'd ask what it costs to rent a 3 or 4 bedroom house in the following rough area types:

Northern beaches (Colleroy, Narrabeen, Dee Why etc)

Inland of Northern beaches (French's forest type area)

Bronte

Coogee

The Shire (nearer Cronulla / Caringbah)

The Shire (more inland - Bangor etc0

As this is a costs thread - just rough estimate tips on rentals (from anyone who already knows this type of info) would be helpful.

Cheers!

Matthew

Edited by Captain Roberto

I might have a look on www.domain.com.au later, but I doubt if Bronte, Coogee, Clovelly are any different to Bondi for prices? Maroubra might be a bit cheaper as it's further away from the CBD. Perhaps places a little further out from the beach, like Mascot, Botany, Matraville, Kingsford, may be more reasonable.

I read in the Sydney Morning Herald today that Narrabeen has shot up in price this year, at least for purchasing homes, second after Artarmon, I think, though I don't know if that affects rental prices.

I was in Lane Cove this arvo and early evening, not been there for a while, probably not particularly cheap to live, but I was taken by the 'vibe', sort of village/small town atmosphere, with lots of young families, kids running about on the little play area on one of the malls. Seemed to be plenty of restaurants, cafes, and the pub is nice too, The 'Longy' (Longueville) where I had an OJ, not cheap either at $4.20 for a little bottle. It is distinctly free of yobs and hoons!

I went over four different Sydney bridges - Harbour, Gladesville, Iron Cove and Anzac, all round pleasant little trip out. And now, at nearly 9pm, need somewhere to eat, maybe Shakespeare Hotel with its $12.50 menu.