good bad areas?

Deeney4

Hi can anyone tell what areas are good for families and that are safe? We hopefully coming out in the new year and the things I have read about all the areas have scared me!!! I have two children 7 and two and I would like to know the nice areas honestly as I have been told lots of different things x :unsure:

Well were thinking these areas nightcliff, Cullen bay, Fannie bay, bay view Stuart park these are all the areas we have been looking into as we like the schools etc.... We would like somewhere good for families. Its all so confusing and worrying. I have read its the worst place in oz then other families have wrote it's the best. Were lost and need a bit of guidance x

Hi,

Hopefully someone will be along soon to give you some info on NT. The problem, as I see it is that everyone is giving their own interpretation of it. What's good for one is not necessarily good for another. You may go there and love it, you may go there and hate it. Have you thought of perhaps going over for a visit or reccie (if you haven't already)? Might help to have a tour round to see for yourself, as you are the ones who have to live there.. Best of luck.. :smile:

Well were thinking these areas nightcliff, Cullen bay, Fannie bay, bay view Stuart park these are all the areas we have been looking into as we like the schools etc.... We would like somewhere good for families. Its all so confusing and worrying. I have read its the worst place in oz then other families have wrote it's the best. Were lost and need a bit of guidance x

I have an investment property in Palmerston, which is a short drive from Darwin. It's very popular with young families apparently, because there's a good school and a big shopping centre, but it's commutable to Darwin proper. I think it became popular originally because of the perception that Darwin itself was a bit rough - but I do think Darwin has improved a lot in recent years.

However, the whole area is not that big. You're going to have to book a holiday apartment of some kind to start with, take some time to look around once you're there.

Any of the suburbs you mention would be fine. Cullen Bay and Fanny Bay wouldn't be cheap though. Lovely areas, big boat harbour, good restaurants, nice for an evening walk at Cullen Bay.

Also lovely round the other side of Darwin near the water park and Darwin waterfront Lagoon. Nice new estates out along Tiger Brennan Drive too. Loads of nice places to choose from and it depends on what sort of money you want to pay.

If I had the money I would stay close to Darwin and not be tempted to move out to Palmerston just because it would be a bit cheaper. I don't like Palmerston one bit. Other people might though and I'm sure I've got a bad impression of it as we only used to go in the shopping centre there for lunch. I've stayed in Darwin on work trips loads of times and like it a lot. Hot and sticky though and you can't use the Ocean a lot. Great if you have a boat, brilliant fishing.

Edited by Paul1Perth