Being indian ( asian ) in australia

richardcoull

Maybe do your research into the 'cast system' prior to making comment. I would NEVER post a comment like that without knowing that the system exists and having experienced it on the 3 times travelling through India. I genuinely do not care if people are red, white green or blue, I simply ask people treat me in the same manner that I treat them....with respect.

S

I did my research on Caste System, Racism, Colonialism, Inquisitions,Pogroms, Slave Trade etc. You can't put a ban on what people think or do, both Here and in India.Every country has bad chapter in its history, and expecting Indians alone to be saints is not fair.

Does Indian law encourage caste system? The Answer is no. Are some Indians Casteist? Might be.

Is Racism sanctioned by the law here? The answer is No. Are some people Racist? Might be.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are ex Tamil Tiger terrorists masquerading as asylum seekers yes.
There was a civil war going on in Srilanka where both sides didn't cover them in glory. The mess that was created in Srilanka won't get solved soon as the Indian State of Tamil Nadu will force the hands of Indian government to put pressure on Srilankan Government to solve the problem of ethnic discrimination against Tamils. There are potential war crimes cases against Srilankan Armed forces personal, which might come to bite them later. Its somewhat similar to what the Kurds are facing in the wider middle east.

Will you welcome ex-Srilankan Army personal with potential war crime cases against them? Other misconception is that Tamils were in Srilanka from the time of British rule. If you google Chola empire, tamils were in Srilanka from 10AD onwards, so it belongs to them as much as the Sinhalese. The Indian State of Tamil Nadu is one of the most developed in India with social indicators way ahead of other states and matching places like Cuba.

The Chola empire even influenced Balinese hinduism that you see today.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/travel--the-lost-empire-explored-the-cholas-once-had-great-power-but-the-world-has-forgotten-them-writes-david-keys-2321900.html

Edited by ArthurPendragon

I agree with Blossom and this thread is losing its way, if you want to have other discussions open a new thread. The op mus wonder what the heck is going on, he just asked an innocent question, that has been answered adequately and bingo its too and fro.

Keep to the subject

Guest Guest 47403

Yet to see a 'fit in or f**k off' sticker in my 4 months in Perth, a little bit of exaggerating going on I reckon! Yet to be called a pom, haven't heard any racism I would be concerned about.

Had someone joke about the UK weather as it was grey and raining here and someone said 'you'll be used to this' they had a point! [emoji41]

Swearing is a different matter Aussies swear like f**k including the women and that's in an office environment!

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 190]indiatodaycomau.gif[/TD]

[TD=align: center][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: maintbs][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 269]indiatoday.jpg[/TD]

[TD=width: 241]indiatoday2.jpg[/TD]

[TD=width: 250]indiatoday3.jpg[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 154][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: navs][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]home.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]about_us.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]advertise.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]associations.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]bollywood.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]business.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]discos.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]education.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]headlines.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]horoscopes.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]jobs.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]links.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]matrimonials.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]music_stores.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]news_links.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]radio_station.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]religious_place.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]restaurants.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]search.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]shopping.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]sydney_guide.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]travel.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]tv.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]visa.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]whos_who.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]nav_footer.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: navtitles]shopping_title.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #698bd5, align: center]shopping.jpg

click.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: navtitles][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: navtitles, align: center]bangalorehotels.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: navtitles][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: navtitles, align: center]indiaflights.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: navtitles, align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: navtitles]free_newsletter.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: newsbox][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: smtext]Enter Email Id[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: smtext] Subscribe

Unsubscribe[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=width: 470][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: tbtext, width: 75%]Home | Coming to Australia[/TD]

[TD=width: 25%, align: right]email_friend.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: titles, width: 100%, colspan: 2]COMING TO AUSTRALIA[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: contentblocks, colspan: 2][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: tbtextjustify]Soon you will be part of Australian Indian Community

By - Paul Singh

Are you coming to Australia ?

GREAT DECISION! I can assure you that you have taken a decision, which you will appreciate only once you are settled here in this GREAT country. I have been around the world and have seen many GREAT places but end of the day I can say with pride that SYDNEY, Australia is the place I call HOME. If one have option to choose a country to live, then there are not many choices. The major attractions are USA, EUROPE or AUSTRALIA sorry if I have not included one your countries, but we have to agree that ASIA, AFRICA and SOUTH AMERICA are not the best places to migrate at present but may be in future.

countrytolive.gif

Independent Study shows Australia selected 3 times

Some stats on Indians migrating to Australia since 1982

Year No

1982-83 1673

1992-93 3553

2001-02 5091

2002-03 5783

China was on top of the migration list with India coming second.

In 2002 there were 110,600 Indians those who were born in India and 61,400 Sri Lankans born in Sri Lanka.

In 2001 there were 95600 people those who can speak Hindi and 13.5% out of those were born in Australia.

Migrating to another country is not a simple decision, and there are instances where people went back to their country of origin because of the following major reasons.

- Home sick

- Family reasons

- Don't like the wildlife of Australia

- Racism

- Finding Work

And may be few more reasons, which I might not be aware of. The most obvious reason for Indians to leave is that, if you have lived in a high-class life style in India where you have servants to cook, clean and listen to your load voice then all that is not available in OZ. It will be very hard to come to terms with this new life style of western world where you do all the work around your house. So the easy way out is to go back and live in that life style which might be important to many of us. The main reason for most of us to move to these countries is that either, we don't like the corrupt system or lack of opportunities to grow in a peaceful environment. Our country has everything, but no control over population, poverty and above all corrupt politicians who are eating our motherland like white ants.

If you are planing to settle in this beautiful country, my sincere advise to you is that do not get the feeling of being discriminated by others as it's the easy way out for any failure. So do not feel that you failed because of the colour of your skin or because you don't know people in high positions, these things don't work here. So if you fail then next time try harder, and keep trying till you get the right job. It took me 9 months to find my first job, but I was determined to find the right job. Most of the time when I meet Indian people the major complain they have is about the whole system in OZ, but it's not true, you can see Indians in Australia on top jobs, if they can get those positions and fame why not you or anyone else. So please try to think positive and if you still feel that this system is corrupt and not up to your standard, then be honest to yourself and go back where you feel the system is better, don't become a crying Indian.

Other honest advise to all my fellow Indians is that it is important to mix with people of your own culture so that young kids learn all the good things about our rich culture. But also remember to mix with the western society as well. There are many good things about their culture too. In past 15 years I have seen on 2 occasions when some crazy politician fires up the issue about immigration and Asians taking up this country, the main reason for all this is that other cultures are not mixing with local Australians, people not appreciating the good things about this country etc. In all fairness it's shameful that we live here, work here and some of us make big money here and at the end of the day still complain about the system, is not justified. So be fair and appreciate the good things and mix up with western culture too as this is going to be your HOME now.

The major cities are the capitol of each state, Sydney in NSW, Melbourne in VIC, Brisbane in QLD, Adelaide in SA, Hobart in TAS, Darwin in NT, Canberra in ACT. Other cities are not as cosmopolitan as these capitol centers. I have lived in most of the major cities and I found good number of Indians settled in every state. Each city has associations and religious places, check our Business Directory for detail listings. To find out how many Indian Restaurants are in each major city, check our Restaurant page. Out of all these major cities, here is the order in terms of Indian population.

Sydney

Melbourne

Brisbane

Adelaide

Perth

Canberra

Darwin

Hobart

Major Indian events take place in most of the cities but their major attraction is in Sydney and Melbourne. Indian Shows (Film actors, singer's etc.) mostly take place in Sydney and Melbourne and at times in Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane. Indian movies are available in all the cities and cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide have movies in cinema halls too. Movie videos are available from any grocery stores. The complete list of these stores can be seen at www.IndiaToday.com.au site.

Most of the major cities have schools for regional languages e.g. Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil etc. these schools are run by non-profitable organisations on weekends. Contact your local association for more details. List of Associations is available at www.IndiaToday.com.au. Sporting activities take place in all the cities where cricket, football, hockey, golf etc. teams are formed for local competition. I recommend you to get your kids (if you have some) involved in playing some sport, as it will help them to become active and get involved with other kids in cultural and social activities. Lisa Sthalekar is first Indian to play for Australian Women's Cricket. I have seen basically Indian people are very shy and it's not very good for any kid to be brought up as a shy kid. As most of you know in this competitive world one has to make sure their kids are getting the best education and also getting a chance to express their views. I think at times when I see 16-18 years old kids gets up at 5.30 in the morning to work part time at McDonalds, where they get chance to work under the best management in the world and also gain all that confidence which lacks in most of our kids.

I welcome you to GREAT COUNTRY where you will meet good fellow Indians and hope to see you around. In case you would like to add any more info to this article please feel free to email me.

Good Luck

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I like this bloke! He tells it like it is!
I found this by the famous Indian author Khushwant Singh-
Without a single exception, every country in the world has its small quota of thugs who target foreigners living among them or visiting their country. Australia has them; so does India. Indians have been targeted in America by the dot (bindi) busters, in England by skinheads, in Germany, France, Russia — name the country and it has its roughnecks. Indian goons are known to be violent against fellow Indians, for instance, the Shiv Sainiks against Tamils, Biharis and Uttar Pradeshis. Cases of molesting whites, particularly white women, are reported in the media every other day. It is only when the government does not take action against these hoodlums or the society tolerates them that a country is to be censured as racist. So, although I share the anguish of my countrymen for the killing and stabbing of some Indian students in Melbourne, I refrain from branding all Australians or their government as racist. I was pained to read that a good man like Amitabh Bachchan has turned down an honorary doctorate from a Brisbane university. If he had accepted it with grace, it would have had beneficial results.

Thousands of Indians live in Australia and are prospering. Thousands go to Australian universities for higher education. Many marry Australian girls and never come back. There is a village called Woolgoolga near Brisbane that is largely inhabited by Sikh farmers who make a handsome living growing bananas and avocados. The famous Gurbani singer, Dya Singh, is among the many Indians who have made Australia their home. They are proud to call themselves Dinkum Ozzies — Good Australians.

I have visited Australia a few times and travelled across the country, stayed in most of its big cities, including Melbourne. Wherever I went, I was warmly received and welcomed in the homes of white Australians. They are touchy about some subjects — any allusion to their ancestors being convicts from England can spark indignation. Even reference to their cockney English makes them see red. They are also fiercely egalitarian and won’t stand any snobbery. When you hire a taxi, be sure to sit in the front seat along with the cab driver and not in the rear seat as one who hired him.

We have a lot to learn from Australians and we expect a lot from them, including foodgrains and nuclear raw material. Let not a few incidents of goondaism sour this relationship.

The link to this is here->http://www.telegraphindia.com/1090613/jsp/opinion/story_11097623.jsp Edited by ArthurPendragon

Yet to see a 'fit in or f**k off' sticker in my 4 months in Perth, a little bit of exaggerating going on I reckon! Yet to be called a pom, haven't heard any racism I would be concerned about.

Had someone joke about the UK weather as it was grey and raining here and someone said 'you'll be used to this' they had a point! [emoji41]

Swearing is a different matter Aussies swear like f**k including the women and that's in an office environment!

Not come across any increased swearing and I work in the same sort of environment I did in the UK, IT and comms. Might be just where you work Baz? If it's mining, Council raod works or something then possibly a lot more swearing. When I worked for the NCB when I left school there wasn't a sentence uttered without a swear word in it.

We do a lot of work on Army bases and I've noticed the women on those seem to swear more than the blokes. It's a strange phenomenon, It's almost like they feel they have to do it to fit in? There are an awful lot more young ladies going into the forces than a few years ago, some of them very nice and fit. They all seem to dish out the language though.

Guest Guest 47403
Not come across any increased swearing and I work in the same sort of environment I did in the UK, IT and comms. Might be just where you work Baz? If it's mining, Council raod works or something then possibly a lot more swearing. When I worked for the NCB when I left school there wasn't a sentence uttered without a swear word in it.

We do a lot of work on Army bases and I've noticed the women on those seem to swear more than the blokes. It's a strange phenomenon, It's almost like they feel they have to do it to fit in? There are an awful lot more young ladies going into the forces than a few years ago, some of them very nice and fit. They all seem to dish out the language though.

Think you may have been away for a while then Paul as some of the stuff I've heard over here just would not be accepted in the UK even heard a few swear words from djs on the radio.

Think you may have been away for a while then Paul as some of the stuff I've heard over here just would not be accepted in the UK even heard a few swear words from djs on the radio.

Not been away at all Baz. Still work in the IT industry in Perth and the only time I hear increased swearing is when I'm away on Army sites. It's just like being back at the NCB. I used to work at Navy and Army Bases in the UK though and they swear just as much.

I've always tried to not swear when it's not needed, even when I worked with people who swore all the time. I just think it's a bad habit to get into and we've brought up our boys with the same values. Our eldest is 25 and has his mates round pretty regularly for pre-drinks:laugh:. They are a pretty good bunch of guys and girls and we've been pretty pleased that we don't hear much bad language from them, even when they sit outside and have a few.

I know what you mean about the radio mind you, sometimes I think I'm hearing things when I hear some of the stuff the presenters talk about. Can't really call them DJ's as they don't seem to know much about music, they talk about big brother and the other sh** shows as they're sponsored by them. If they were asked to talk about the music they were playing they wouldn't have a clue. The only interesting person who knows his stuff is Alice Cooper.

If Australia was a racist country then people, including us 'WASPS' would not come here in increasing numbers. I would not do it any more than I would get in a car driven by a drunk. I look around the cafe I'm in now and the staff are Lebanese, Asian, Polish, Italian and 'AUssie.' the building over the road is occupied by staff from the Chinese embassy. The barber next door is from Iraq. Round the corner past all the Lebanese restaurants, is a mosque which to my knowledge has never been attacked by angry Aussies. Further up the street are a multitude of 'ethnic' restaurants. The convenience stores are all staffed by Jordanians. Naturally in a city of over 4million there will be tensions at times between various races and often nothing to do with 'Aussies' one of those inconvenient truths the left hates. I read in the paper of a fight between two rivalgangs prearranged via social media.I am prepared to bet they are 'ethnic' too. But the left will blame it on 'us'!

If Australia was a racist country then people, including us 'WASPS' would not come here in increasing numbers. I would not do it any more than I would get in a car driven by a drunk. I look around the cafe I'm in now and the staff are Lebanese, Asian, Polish, Italian and 'AUssie.' the building over the road is occupied by staff from the Chinese embassy. The barber next door is from Iraq. Round the corner past all the Lebanese restaurants, is a mosque which to my knowledge has never been attacked by angry Aussies. Further up the street are a multitude of 'ethnic' restaurants. The convenience stores are all staffed by Jordanians. Naturally in a city of over 4million there will be tensions at times between various races and often nothing to do with 'Aussies' one of those inconvenient truths the left hates. I read in the paper of a fight between two rivalgangs prearranged via social media.I am prepared to bet they are 'ethnic' too. But the left will blame it on 'us'!

Jesus!, talk about a sense of victimhood!

I'll accept I was probably over-sensitised to it in the end so noticed them but it probably depends where in Perth you are, we were SOR in one of the less well-off suburbs, probably more Aussies than a typical Perth suburb. Most likely place to see them was on Rockingham Road on the back of a Ute and I drove down there every day.

It could just as rightly be argues that ethnics congregate in certain areas in numbers to feel comfortable and secure. It would make little difference the degree of racist activity in that case. WASP's would be unlikely impacted and may even be the cheer leaders, in terms of constant warnings in the media about the state of Britain due to immigration, or White South Africans banging on about crime linked to developing world immigration and the like.

No Chinese embassy in Sydney but I take it you refer to the Chinese Consulate. The right loves to hate unless they can make some mischief or money out of it or it suites some purpose.

Guest Guest 47403
I'll accept I was probably over-sensitised to it in the end so noticed them but it probably depends where in Perth you are, we were SOR in one of the less well-off suburbs, probably more Aussies than a typical Perth suburb. Most likely place to see them was on Rockingham Road on the back of a Ute and I drove down there every day.

Well I drive the Rockingham road everyday to/from work and not managed to see one, will keep an eye out [emoji6]

It could just as rightly be argues that ethnics congregate in certain areas in numbers to feel comfortable and secure. It would make little difference the degree of racist activity in that case. WASP's would be unlikely impacted and may even be the cheer leaders, in terms of constant warnings in the media about the state of Britain due to immigration, or White South Africans banging on about crime linked to developing world immigration and the like.

No Chinese embassy in Sydney but I take it you refer to the Chinese Consulate. The right loves to hate unless they can make some mischief or money out of it or it suites some purpose.

Yes, you are right - 'consulate' not 'embassy' and I was thinking about that as I typed it. Back in 1989, this building used to be the main consular building so was the scene of demonstrations post Tiennaman Square, but they have now moved main building to Camperdown I think.

I guess 'ethnics' do create their (middle-class?) 'ghettoes' to feel comfortable, safe even. 'We' do it on the Costas, I believe, and often with the same results i.e.alienating the natives because, in this case, we refuse to learn Spanish, and spend most of our time with other expats.

I would love to live in Leichhardt, and living as I do in Surry Hills, I'm surrounded by a multitude of nationalities, although the Surry Hills experience is the way I think is the true 'multi-racial' way to live, i.e. no one dominant race or culture.

I've got Pommie and Irish friends, but I don't actually like to go out of my way to meet up with masses of them, unless it's watching Spurs, and even then, we have an even mix of 'native' born Aussies there.

Of course, when I first came here, I did tend to congregate in pubs where other Pommies met, but I don't really like to be amongst them too much now. That's why I don't like to go to Pommie 'meet ups'..

Some places some may have done. A different world then. You sound almost sorry that you never received a thick ear on disembarking the gang plank onto Victoria Quay on that November day.

But I had it hammered into me by the uncouth blokes I worked with in England who had been out to Australia. 'THEY hate the Poms! (especially naive, immature virgins like yourself!) The 1970's in England was another world of course, with unrestricted smoking in the workplace and any kind of bullying/hazing dismissed as 'just having a laugh.' Probably much the same in Australia, judging by the things that sometimes come to light in factories and the armed services, but personally, and almost cliche-like, the Aussies I encountered seemed only to establish that I liked drinking beer and watching cricket and I never encountered anything like the bullying I experienced in England. But of course, that is a personal and subjective experience.