Time to move back

I must admit @Wanderer Returns that I find Brisbane really humid. Not all year of course but Brisbane does humidity REALLY well!

@Stephen Page-Murray maybe people have enjoyed the heat of Spain or Greece and imagine it's similar? I knew Brisbane was sub-tropical before I arrived so was expecting heat and humidity but the reality of a Brissy summer was still a bit full-on. I love the weather here nine months of the year but I find the summers harder to handle as time goes on. I don't think it's them getting hotter, just me getting older and less able to tough it out!

You're tougher than me. Heat OK, humidity not OK.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AC is nice but one still has to go to work, go shopping, go and do the horse etc. For poms that don't like the heat why on Earth do they move to Australia??

AC is a necessity especially for older folks. Poms other migrants and born and bred Aussies all suffer and all hate it when we get those 40 plus heatwaves. This is commonly omitted from the glossy sales mags and from those Australia house expos. If you have an job where you have climate control it's all good but many don't. We run reverse cycle AC for heating and cooling here in Adelaide for 9 months of the year and it costs a lot. This is something that working class migrants should consider as a reality.

AC is a necessity especially for older folks. Poms other migrants and born and bred Aussies all suffer and all hate it when we get those 40 plus heatwaves. This is commonly omitted from the glossy sales mags and from those Australia house expos. If you have an job where you have climate control it's all good but many don't. We run reverse cycle AC for heating and cooling here in Adelaide for 9 months of the year and it costs a lot. This is something that working class migrants should consider as a reality.

Lack of research from prospective migrants. When the idiotic 'Living the dream' has taken hold of your senses nothing else gets through.

Lack of research from prospective migrants. When the idiotic 'Living the dream' has taken hold of your senses nothing else gets through.

I guess for some it takes just one aspect of change to make them feel that they are 'living the dream' which should be stated more like 'Living my dream' or 'living our dream' because what is 'Living THE dream' ?

After my recent trip back to England i did speak to many folks who are more wise to the pros and cons of Australia and many seemed enlightened and knowledgeable when it comes to a life down under.

Nine months a year? Seriously?

Our A/C was broken during summer in Perth, 38 degrees...that was too hot. But besides one summermonth a year (40+ degrees) or two wintermonths (5 degrees at night) we didn't need any airco.

I must admit @Wanderer Returns that I find Brisbane really humid. Not all year of course but Brisbane does humidity REALLY well!

@Stephen Page-Murray maybe people have enjoyed the heat of Spain or Greece and imagine it's similar? I knew Brisbane was sub-tropical before I arrived so was expecting heat and humidity but the reality of a Brissy summer was still a bit full-on. I love the weather here nine months of the year but I find the summers harder to handle as time goes on. I don't think it's them getting hotter, just me getting older and less able to tough it out!

I understand what you are saying about the Brisbane summer (and I plan to have aircon for those days/nights) however the opposite issue applies in the UK in that it is so often chilly and damp (the next 4 months being the worst of course) and the cold just seems to get into your bones. Otherwise it is clear and cold which often makes pavements, paths and drives icy and they can, in a cold snap, remain that way for long periods especially when snow has fallen and then ices over. Older people can become quite marooned by this with the danger of life-threatening falls heightened on slippery surfaces. It is also not unknown for spells of very hot weather which are generally high in humidity too. No homes have aircon and houses are built to retain heat more in the UK so that has been an issue for older folk too. Seems there are pitfalls for the elderly in both UK and Brisbane particularly if you are poor.

This has to be one of the greatest urban myths in Australia, which I strongly believe is perpetrated by those living 'south of the border' in a bid to stop their extended families packing their bags and heading for the sun! Most of the people who come up with this old chestnut have never even lived in Queensland. It's up there with 'Melbourne has 4 seasons in one day' when it's more like a 'couple of seasons in one week if you're lucky', but that's far less evocative, isn't it?

I'm originally from Derby so hardly accustomed to hot weather. I lived in Brisbane for 7 years and could probably count the number of days that were unpleasant on the fingers of one hand. If you are fortunate enough to live on the coast then it's usually a couple of degrees cooler there, even on the hottest days. For the last 3 years I've lived in Cairns and I would concede that it's too hot for too long up here but then I've never lived in a place with air-con because I'm too mean to spend the money, so I can't really complain. It'd be like living in Britain in the middle of winter without any heating and complaining you're too cold :-)

Apologies to the OP as this has nothing to do with your original post, but then we are POMs so talking about the weather is what we like to do!

Mart.

Being a Pom who likes to talk about the weather.. I love the heat of North Qld, the humidity in summer can be a bit oppressive, but not too bad, for me. It's better than the aches and pains I get in a cold winter. OH isn't looking forward to the humidity and would prefer to live a bit further south in Brisbane.. I usually get a company car in my jobs and have told her that if she wants to cool down she'll have to either jump in the pool or get in the car and run the AC, as I will be tight with the electricity too.. Hoping she'll adapt pretty quick lol.. :wink:

Incredible weather in Brisbane yesterday. It was officially 32 degrees, nothing unusual about that you might say, I live in the suburb of Oxley, only 10 Kms from the City and it was 39 ! Ipswich yesterday was 41. Kids not allowed out at lunchtime in some schools due to extreme weather, haven't heard of that happening for years, especially in October.

Bollocks, of course you don't have to move around the country to find an area that suits. It's all Australia, what's the point of banging your head against the same old brick wall for years when you could move on to somewhere you actually belong. 40C in Canberra is bloody debilitating as it is elsewhere!

I'd have to disagree. We were in 30 degrees in Canberra on the weekend and it reminded me of the days when I used to go walking down Rundle Mall in Adelaide in 40 degree heat. I felt hot but not uncomfortable. Whereas put me in 30 degrees in Sydney and I'm a limp rag. For me, humidity makes a HUGE difference to how debilitating heat is.

I agree with you that it's not necessary to travel to experience every area, though. Once you've worked out whether dry heat or humid heat suits you best, you can work out what areas will suit you based on that.

Gotta love this thread :-)

You have all made me smile when I was having a crap day yesterday. Put 2-3 Brits together and what will we talk about - the weather!!!

All from a throw away line as well.

Well seeing as we have digressed, here is my take. We moved here at Easter so had a good 9 months to acclimatise. We bought a house with a pool as we knew summers were going to be tough. I think it took me about 3 years for my blood to thin so winters felt cold and summers didnt feel so hot, except on those 35+ days with 100% humidity. If anyone thinks it is only the Brits that struggle in the summer, go to Chermside or Indro shopping centres on a really hot day and see the crowds escaping the heat and sucking up the free aircon!

I wont miss the summers when we move - the 6 weeks of horrible humidity, but I will miss the glorious winter days when it is 20 degrees by 10am and doesnt get cold til the sun goes down. I will miss the beautiful spring and Autumn, and the sound of heavy rain on a tin roof. I will miss the fantastic storms that light up the sky.

But I will get beautiful crisp autumn days with crunchy leaves under foot, the feeling of being cold and being able to warm up by a roaring fire, a cold Christmas, a summer day not slathered in insect repellent and suncream, not too humid to go for a long walk with the dogs. Not necessarily looking forward to lots of grey sky's and drizzle but you take the good with the bad.

As I said before, we didnt move here for the weather and we are not leaving because of it.

I am loving this discussion because it is taking my mind of the other "stuff" we have to sort. When that is done I will be back to update, but as I said, loving the weather discussion:-)

Gotta love this thread :-)

You have all made me smile when I was having a crap day yesterday. Put 2-3 Brits together and what will we talk about - the weather!!!

All from a throw away line as well.

Well seeing as we have digressed, here is my take. We moved here at Easter so had a good 9 months to acclimatise. We bought a house with a pool as we knew summers were going to be tough. I think it took me about 3 years for my blood to thin so winters felt cold and summers didnt feel so hot, except on those 35+ days with 100% humidity. If anyone thinks it is only the Brits that struggle in the summer, go to Chermside or Indro shopping centres on a really hot day and see the crowds escaping the heat and sucking up the free aircon!

I wont miss the summers when we move - the 6 weeks of horrible humidity, but I will miss the glorious winter days when it is 20 degrees by 10am and doesnt get cold til the sun goes down. I will miss the beautiful spring and Autumn, and the sound of heavy rain on a tin roof. I will miss the fantastic storms that light up the sky.

But I will get beautiful crisp autumn days with crunchy leaves under foot, the feeling of being cold and being able to warm up by a roaring fire, a cold Christmas, a summer day not slathered in insect repellent and suncream, not too humid to go for a long walk with the dogs. Not necessarily looking forward to lots of grey sky's and drizzle but you take the good with the bad.

As I said before, we didnt move here for the weather and we are not leaving because of it.

I am loving this discussion because it is taking my mind of the other "stuff" we have to sort. When that is done I will be back to update, but as I said, loving the weather discussion:-)

I DO get beautiful crisp autumn days with crunchy leaves under foot, the feeling of being cold and being able to warm up by a roaring fire while toasting marshmallows on a stick, not too humid to go for a long walk with the dog, roast chestnuts, sunny winter days without drizzle, etc. Sounds like you just chose the wrong place to live in Australia as so very many poms do!

Stephen

Do you actually read anything that anyone posts?

"I wont miss the summers when we move - the 6 weeks of horrible humidity, but I will miss the glorious winter days when it is 20 degrees by 10am and doesnt get cold til the sun goes down. I will miss the beautiful spring and Autumn, and the sound of heavy rain on a tin roof. I will miss the fantastic storms that light up the sky"

There are things I will miss from here that I cant get and there are things that I am looking forward to when we are in the UK. If I lived in Canberra I would probably post the same thing regarding the weather. I didnt pick the wrong place to live, I picked the appropriate place for work, lifestyle etc etc. Just because I live somewhere in Australia doesnt mean I have to love EVERY aspect of it. The same as the UK - As stated above I wont love EVERY aspect of it.Also please dont call me a POM - you have no idea of my cultural background

Stephen

Do you actually read anything that anyone posts?

"I wont miss the summers when we move - the 6 weeks of horrible humidity, but I will miss the glorious winter days when it is 20 degrees by 10am and doesnt get cold til the sun goes down. I will miss the beautiful spring and Autumn, and the sound of heavy rain on a tin roof. I will miss the fantastic storms that light up the sky"

There are things I will miss from here that I cant get and there are things that I am looking forward to when we are in the UK. If I lived in Canberra I would probably post the same thing regarding the weather. I didnt pick the wrong place to live, I picked the appropriate place for work, lifestyle etc etc. Just because I live somewhere in Australia doesnt mean I have to love EVERY aspect of it. The same as the UK - As stated above I wont love EVERY aspect of it.Also please dont call me a POM - you have no idea of my cultural background

I was saying poms in general just don't do quality research before moving. I obviously don't know your cultural background nor do I want to

Ridiculous as in ridiculously hot.

For you obviously, others cope just fine. It appears we have another pom here who failed to do some quality research.

as so very many poms do!

I was saying poms in general just don't do quality research before moving

I am cringing just reading an ENGLISH person use the word pom and use it in a way that implies that they are not english...oh dear, I do worry soemtimes.....:huh:

For you obviously, others cope just fine. It appears we have another pom here who failed to do some quality research.

and for some they still can't help popping in to mbtuk forum to imply that some people here must have something wrong with them or a failure for not liking something about Australia.

and for some they still can't help popping in to mbtuk forum to imply that some people here must have something wrong with them or a failure for not liking something about Australia.

And some lack basic English comprehension. What part of 'lack of quality research' don't you understand?

Archived