We have a date!

Aunt Agatha

After much debate we have decided that we'll be moving back to the UK on 3rd Feb - so around 17 weeks time I think.

DH is going to try and secure work from here, but if it doesn't happen we're going to make the move anyway - we can support ourselves for a few months before he'll have to sell his body on the street corner.

Feeling quite excited!

I think its a good quality when people can accept that the choice they made is no longer right for them. It's a brave thing to do and I wish you both well in the future. England certainly feel's a lot brighter in my opinion at the moment.

Please keep us posted on how you get on, the process etc. We like you have been here 11 years and have contemplated the move back numerous times, then Australia throws us a bone and we back down. We also love both places, and I really do think if we do head back it will be because it is "our time". Love to know how you get on and well done for setting a date.:wink:

UOTE=Aunt Agatha;1936615516]Thank you. We are some of the annoying few who love it in the UK and love it in Australia. We've been here for 11 years and have been very happy but it's time to go back - we were only supposed to stay for four!

Me too :)

Are you heading back to the Toon?

Thanks @lismith25 I'd be happy to share the process. It's taken us ages to finally name a date and now that we have I feel really ready to go. It's definitely "our time."

Thanks @wattsy1982!

@Lindor we are heading back to the Toon initially as we are going to stay with my folks until we get sorted but I've got a real fancy for York so that is the focus of the job search (and Leeds which is commutable). If DH can't land a job in York/Leeds then Newcastle, Edinburgh, Manchester and Bristol will all make it onto the list with the SE a last resort. London is wonderful but expensive and we sold our London house several years ago so no longer have any real ties there.

Thanks @Melza I used to dislike Feb as it is (IMHO) the most miserable month of the UK year weather-wise but my daughter's birthday is in Feb so now I love it! As you say we'll be there just as Spring starts to appear which will be lovely. Also, Feb is a cheap time of year to fly from Aus to the UK so there are a few advantages.

Oh just realised my kids will be celebrating their birthdays with their Grandparents for the first time :cute:

Thanks @lismith25 I'd be happy to share the process. It's taken us ages to finally name a date and now that we have I feel really ready to go. It's definitely "our time."

Thanks @wattsy1982!

@Lindor we are heading back to the Toon initially as we are going to stay with my folks until we get sorted but I've got a real fancy for York so that is the focus of the job search (and Leeds which is commutable). If DH can't land a job in York/Leeds then Newcastle, Edinburgh, Manchester and Bristol will all make it onto the list with the SE a last resort. London is wonderful but expensive and we sold our London house several years ago so no longer have any real ties there.

Oh I'll be very jealous if you move to York! Betty's for afternoon tea :) I bet your folks are thrilled!

Thanks @3FatCats, I may quiz you on items to pack etc. A northern meetup would be fantastic :-) Maybe we should have it at Betty's for @Lindor!

Thank you Caramac, I'm looking forward to taking the kids out into Northumberland to see the lambs etc.

@Splash77 I'm not sure if you are serious or not! Whatever happens, I won't regret the move as it's the right decision for us at this point in our lives. Plus I was happy in England before we left and will be happy again I'm sure. I'm pretty happy anywhere TBH!

Thanks @3FatCats, I may quiz you on items to pack etc. A northern meetup would be fantastic :-) Maybe we should have it at Betty's for @Lindor!

Thank you Caramac, I'm looking forward to taking the kids out into Northumberland to see the lambs etc.

@Splash77 I'm not sure if you are serious or not! Whatever happens, I won't regret the move as it's the right decision for us at this point in our lives. Plus I was happy in England before we left and will be happy again I'm sure. I'm pretty happy anywhere TBH!

I doubt you'll regret it. I don't, not one bit. And I didn't want to come back! :wink: It took a bit of adapting, just as moving in the first place did, but no regrets.

Northumberland is beautiful - I walked the dog next to the river, in the warm October sunshine yesterday. It was just gorgeous. I sat watching the salmon fishermen upto their knees in water, casting and casting and the salmon, just a little further down the jumping out of the river - almost taunting the fishermen - the ones who got away :laugh:.

I doubt you'll regret it. I don't, not one bit. And I didn't want to come back! :wink: It took a bit of adapting, just as moving in the first place did, but no regrets.

Northumberland is beautiful - I walked the dog next to the river, in the warm October sunshine yesterday. It was just gorgeous. I sat watching the salmon fishermen upto their knees in water, casting and casting and the salmon, just a little further down the jumping out of the river - almost taunting the fishermen - the ones who got away :laugh:.

Northumberland is beautiful Caramac! I was born at Corbridge and used to go there a lot, lunch at the Black Bull then a walk along the river :)

After much debate we have decided that we'll be moving back to the UK on 3rd Feb - so around 17 weeks time I think.

DH is going to try and secure work from here, but if it doesn't happen we're going to make the move anyway - we can support ourselves for a few months before he'll have to sell his body on the street corner.

Feeling quite excited!

Congratulations on setting a date. This made me feel eeeekkkk - only 17 weeks to go!!! I am working to the same time frame as you (late Jan/early Feb), but am trying to decide when to put my house on the market. I think I had better get a wriggle on !!! We are having a big clean out / garage sale this weekend, so feeling a little bit more organised.

Corbridge is one of my favourite places and the dog loves being by the river. It was so low there a couple of weeks ago you could walk from one side to the other under the bridge! We live just outside Hexham.

Wow! A bit different to the floods a few years ago! I love Hexham aswell. Used to go to Dukeshouse Wood with school every chance I got. They would drop us off somewhere, usually Blanchland with a packed lunch and a map and we'd have to walk back haha! I must have a look around there when I go back...

Oh I love Corbridge and Hexham! Morpeth too.

@goingbacksoon great to have some company on my 17 weeks countdown :-) Good luck with the garage sale, it will hopefully get rid of a lot of stuff for you. I made a FB group and added all our local friends and am selling and giving away stuff on there - it's working really well so far.

Archived