189 Visa invitation! And now what?

nickpma

Yesterday I finally received my 189 visa invitation to apply, so I'm really really happy!

I immediately started reading on all rules, regulations and processing dates.

This is what I found:

1. After receiving the visa invitation you should apply for a visa within 60 days
  2. After applying for a visa it takes around 2 to 3 months before receiving a result
  3. If a visa is granted, you should enter Australia at most 1 year after either Medical or Police Certificate date or after visa grant date, whichever date comes first
  4. A 189 visa is valid for 5 years
  5. You should live (and not work?) at least 2 out of 5 years in Australia. If this is the case, you can apply for a Resident Return visa or Citizenship
  6. Leaving Australia for more than 90 days means this period won't count as living in Australia

Of course the exact dates and details will be in the visa grant letter.

What I'd like to know is if the above is still correct, since some things have changed as of the 1st of July 2014.

And how are those minimum of 2 years checked, just by customs who note when you leave/enter the country?

And I'm going to bring some saving with me, but what if I can't find a job the first couple of months? Am I eligible for social benefits?

If you have any other advice let me know! Only thing I need to do now is get a police certificate and apply for a visa, but this shouldn't be a problem.

Numbers 1-4 look right to me although I can't help with 5 or 6, sorry.

What's your occupation? Could you try and line something up work wise before you leave? Although that's not always easy in my husbands line of work (they seem to prefer seeing you in person) he's still been able to set up a number of interviews for the week after we land and I'm taking that as a positive sign. The only benefits I'm aware of (only because I haven't looked into it any further) is child care rebate and child care benefit which are available for 189 visa holders, have a look at the Centre Link website where there is an online calculator and further information.

Hope that helps x

Yesterday I finally received my 189 visa invitation to apply, so I'm really really happy!

I immediately started reading on all rules, regulations and processing dates.

This is what I found:

1. After receiving the visa invitation you should apply for a visa within 60 days

2. After applying for a visa it takes around 2 to 3 months before receiving a result

3. If a visa is granted, you should enter Australia at most 1 year after either Medical or Police Certificate date or after visa grant date, whichever date comes first

4. A 189 visa is valid for 5 years

5. You should live (and not work?) at least 2 out of 5 years in Australia. If this is the case, you can apply for a Resident Return visa or Citizenship

6. Leaving Australia for more than 90 days means this period won't count as living in Australia

Of course the exact dates and details will be in the visa grant letter.

What I'd like to know is if the above is still correct, since some things have changed as of the 1st of July 2014.

And how are those minimum of 2 years checked, just by customs who note when you leave/enter the country?

And I'm going to bring some saving with me, but what if I can't find a job the first couple of months? Am I eligible for social benefits?

If you have any other advice let me know! Only thing I need to do now is get a police certificate and apply for a visa, but this shouldn't be a problem.

I don't know where you have seen point 5 because it isn't true. Point 6 looks odd as well.

But I would not be focusing on resident return visas just yet, you haven't got the first visa yet and when you do get it, it lasts for five years.

No you can't get social benefits, not for two years. You should make sure you have enough money to tide you over until you can find a job when you arrive. Or try to find a job first of course, but that is hard for most people.

Hi shelly, I bet your excited about your move? Not long now :-) hope you don't mind me asking, but as iv said before my OH is a joiner/foreman and I noticed your hubby has lined up some interviews. We have been on Seek to see what work is available and it seems their is quite a lot. How did your hubby get his interviews lined up was it through the job sites? If so which ones would you recommend? We are moving out in January. Good luck with your move and I wish you happiness :-) x

As far as I know:

1. You must apply within 60 days of the invitation or it expires

2. This may be a general guideline but some grants can come sooner or much later, so don't make firm plans until you have the grant in your hands

3. The visa grant will advise the initial entry date by which you must enter. One year from the medical/police check is typically the date.

4. The visa is permanent. The travel rights are valid for 5 years (which is where the RRV comes in)

5. 2 of 5 years is a good guideline to get a 5-year RRV, but I'd wait to see about an RRV if/when you need one as the rules may change between now and then.

6. I've never heard of this

As a general guideline, I'd suggest any applicant research these things before lodging their EOI so they can be aware of the timeframes that may apply to them.

Guest guest30085

Fine, it was worded badly, it 'may' refer to the fourth year (or the year of application) where you have to be in australia for nine months or more out of 12, hence the 90 days. It's the only three month time frame I can think of ..

According to everything my agent told me points 5 and 6 look correct on this basis 5 refers to the fact you need to be resident in oz for 2 years out of the total of the capable 5 then you are eligible to apply for an extension, 2 years is the minimum requirement to apply for an extension or rrv on the original pr. Point 6 I can only assume is referring to the accumulated time counting towards point 5, I.e. If you leave oz for more than 3months (greater than holiday visa time frame) then you are not technically resident there.

Makes sense to me, hope I've explained it well enough though.

According to everything my agent told me points 5 and 6 look correct on this basis 5 refers to the fact you need to be resident in oz for 2 years out of the total of the capable 5 then you are eligible to apply for an extension, 2 years is the minimum requirement to apply for an extension or rrv on the original pr. Point 6 I can only assume is referring to the accumulated time counting towards point 5, I.e. If you leave oz for more than 3months (greater than holiday visa time frame) then you are not technically resident there.

Makes sense to me, hope I've explained it well enough though.

No 5) is definitely not correct, certainly not as it is worded there. It is wrong on several levels.

You should live (and not work?) at least 2 out of 5 years in Australia. If this is the case, you can apply for a Resident Return visa or Citizenship

Firstly what is this about "not work"? Why would somebody come on a permanent visa and be expected to not work?

Next, after two years in the country it is not possible to apply for RRV or citizenship? It takes four years to qualify for citizenship, not two.

Finally, it is not necessary to stay in the country for two years in order to apply for a RRV either, it just requires substantial ties. It could be possible to show substantial ties in a very short space of time and some people show substantial ties and get a RRV even if they haven't been in the contry for years. It would only be a one year RRV in this case, but it is a RRV.

So far that reason, I do not believe that these points have come from any official source.

This is strange as I have been told (granted not in these exact words as written here and they don't seem official I agree) a very similar thing. Has something changed? No idea but I too have been informed of some of this being the case. I was aware of the financial/substantial ties but figured that would confuse the issue. And yes pumpkin is spot on 4 yrs is mandatory requirement for citizenship application not 2yrs.

Sorry I'm not trying to mislead anyone.

No 5) is definitely not correct, certainly not as it is worded there. It is wrong on several levels.

Firstly what is this about "not work"? Why would somebody come on a permanent visa and be expected to not work?

Next, after two years in the country it is not possible to apply for RRV or citizenship? It takes four years to qualify for citizenship, not two.

Finally, it is not necessary to stay in the country for two years in order to apply for a RRV either, it just requires substantial ties. It could be possible to show substantial ties in a very short space of time and some people show substantial ties and get a RRV even if they haven't been in the contry for years. It would only be a one year RRV in this case, but it is a RRV.

So far that reason, I do not believe that these points have come from any official source.

Thanks for your reply.

However perhaps it sounds as if you want to come to Australia not to work...the way I mean it is that you can't find a job.

Ok, so citizenship has different rules than RRV. Didn't know that, so thank you for clearing that up.

From the official site it says the following:

Subclass 155 Resident Return visa

You might be able to be granted this visa if you:

• have spent a period totalling two years in the last five years in Australia as either an Australian permanent resident or citizen (the 'residence requirement').

• have not spent two of the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident or citizen, but can satisfy the processing officer that you have substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties of benefit to Australia

So I guess 2 years would be enough, but less than 2 years is also possible if you have substantial ties. Best option for me would just to stay atleast 2 years in Australia.

For point 6, the 90 days I read somewhere, is not an official rule so I'll forget about that one.

Numbers 1-4 look right to me although I can't help with 5 or 6, sorry.

What's your occupation? Could you try and line something up work wise before you leave? Although that's not always easy in my husbands line of work (they seem to prefer seeing you in person) he's still been able to set up a number of interviews for the week after we land and I'm taking that as a positive sign. The only benefits I'm aware of (only because I haven't looked into it any further) is child care rebate and child care benefit which are available for 189 visa holders, have a look at the Centre Link website where there is an online calculator and further information.

Hope that helps x

My occupation is either Business Analyst or Systems Analyst. So I work in the IT...

Before moving to Australia I'll also try to get some job interviews planned, but since I'm not dependent on a specific city, I should be able to find a job somewhere in the country.

P.s. congrats with your visa! What does your husband do?

Archived