Stopover Between Brisbane & Sydney

jacktar

I spent a week driving from Brisbane to Sydney via The Pacific Highway. It does not really matter where you stay, or which way you go - via New England or Pacific Highways. Maybe even do a bit of both, and cut across, if you have the time? I did like Sawtell just south of Coffs Harbour, and Port Macquarie. Armadale or Tamworth, maybe via New England Highway.

@maryrose2 We need to be in Sydney on the 28th as friends there have lent us their house - in Heathcote - and they are away after that. We will be making the return journey 4 weeks later. Have been checking out 'Nambucca Heads.' I was last in Sydney Feb. 1968 so looking forward to seeing it again and enjoying the odd "Schooner' or three. :-)

We arrive in Brisbane 6.10 on the morning 27th October have a hire car and intend to drive to Sydney stopping overnight on the way; any recommendations!!

Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie. We went to Armidale recently, but it really was not all that interesting, I'd stick to the coastal route.

You are arriving at 6.10am in the morning (intercontinental flight?) and you plan to jump straight in a car

and drive hundreds of miles over two days?

Recommend you space out your journey over 3 or 4 days. It's a v large distance and there are numerous places you can stop....just to add Byron Bay to your list.

You should take into account jet-lag and erratic motorway driving....the scenery from the motorway may not keep you awake....

We arrive in Brisbane 6.10 on the morning 27th October have a hire car and intend to drive to Sydney stopping overnight on the way; any recommendations!!

I second Armidale. The New England Highway is a much better road than the Pacific Highway! Even though it may look a bit longer on the map, in practice you'll find it's much much faster. We used to drive up to visit friends at Mt Tamborine several times a year, and the New England saved us a heap of time and stress.

My recommendation is even stronger considering that you're going to be driving jet-lagged. There is a lot less traffic on the New England and fewer black spots.

The drive via the New England will take you about 12 hours, not including meal and toilet stops, and we used to do it in two days comfortably. However I am worried about being on the road for 7 or 8 hours two days running, after a long flight. Why can't you fly?

We are flying in to Brisbane from Hong Kong, a time diff of 2 hours, are seasoned travelers and generally get a few hours sleep when flying, especially on night flights. We live in Germany and r used to driving great distances in a car. We usually stop every 2 hours to stretch our legs and if necessary have '40 winks.' We will most probably stop around 5 pm, find a hotel, have a shower, a good meal and after a good nights sleep, finish our journey.

Archived