Worried what job my self employed husband will do in Oz!

Caditaylor

Hi Guys,

my husband, our two children and I are potentially looking to move to the Carindale area, I am looking for some advice really!

We are looking to move in around 3 years time, I am currently a student nurse so I know when we are ready I should be A-OK at gaining a job and I am aware of the pay etc.

However, over here in the Uk, my husband is self employed, he does home improvements, fitting soffits, fascia, guttering, edpm rubber flat roofs, conservatories and windows. I have tried to do some research to see what jobs are available in Oz for this kind of work I am pretty much coming up with blanks....

i was wondering if anyone had moved over themselves with a similar skill set, and what they have done, rough wages, are they self employed/working for someone else, also what is job availability like etc for this kind of work, is it a struggle/easy to get etc.....

i would be really great full for any responses :rolleyes:

Cadi x

I'd be much more worried about securing a nursing job. Huge problem for grads here (my daughter is one) although I think more experienced nurses get by. Your hubby sounds like he has excellent skills that could be easily deployed in the many building projects here. I'm sure a tradie will be along soon to help with certification etc...Carindale btw is a lovely spot but not near any major hospitals

Wouldn't he do similar type of work here on a self employed basis?

Probably not as houses are constructed differently, we were in WA where brick and tile houses are the norm but I think in Queensland timber-frame is the norm. There just isn't the same 'replacement windows and conservatory' companies - in the colder states such as Victoria and Tasmania I have heard it said that double glazing is becoming more common and therefore there could be a move to people replacing their windows. When we were building in WA I asked for double glazing and we were looked at as if we were mad...they did get us a quote and it was $50k!

The chances are he is going to need a new career but there are plenty of success stories on here of people who have done just that - his skills will be transferable to other trades and of course there are opportunities that don't really exist in the UK, for example swimming pool installation. The most important thing is probably for him to keep an open mind and not expect to earn the kind of salary he does in the UK straight off as there will be an 'apprenticeship' period whilst he gets the right certifications.

I'd be much more worried about securing a nursing job. Huge problem for grads here (my daughter is one) although I think more experienced nurses get by. Your hubby sounds like he has excellent skills that could be easily deployed in the many building projects here. I'm sure a tradie will be along soon to help with certification etc...Carindale btw is a lovely spot but not near any major hospitals

I won't be going as a newly qualified, I will have two years post grad experience :)

Archived