battery drill batteries

CraigandDebs

Hi everyone.

I need some advice, and fast.

I am sorting my tools out to take over by courier and I just wanted know if I could take 2 x lithium ion batteries with my drill.

Will they be OK to fly in my toolbox or would this be classed as dangerous goods.

I'm interested to know anybody else's experience.

Thanks.

We're Flying out on Sunday morning and its just 1 more thing that I've left to the last minute.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/dangerous-goods/global/en

looks ok for 2 batteries, make sure you charge them before you store them especially if you intend to ship them slow to Australia.

Li-ion batteries (especially makita BL1820's) will refuse to charge again if they charge gets too low, and as the battery uses a little bit of charge to monitor itself, if its in a shipping container for a month it could go dud. charge fully before you ship :)

mine were fine, I think it was about 6 weeks in the container.

Hi everyone.

I need some advice, and fast.

I am sorting my tools out to take over by courier and I just wanted know if I could take 2 x lithium ion batteries with my drill.

Will they be OK to fly in my toolbox or would this be classed as dangerous goods.

I'm interested to know anybody else's experience.

Thanks.

We're Flying out on Sunday morning and its just 1 more thing that I've left to the last minute.

I took my hitachi drills and they were fine over 19 weeks, but they are fine sitting for 6 months on the shelf between projects, Li-ion will hold a charge for quite a while anyway but juice them before you go if they're 'smart' batteries which self regulate. That said, relative to earnings power tools here are good value, I've just dropped $600 on a makita that's not even out in the UK yet! The joys of DIY!

Hi all

Thanks for replying

I should have cleared it up that I was flying my tools over with a courier. Getting picked up from tomorrow with parcel monkey.

I decided to bite the bullet and leave my batteries out the box, and it paid off too, they sent me a list of prohibited items and batteries were classed as a dangerous item.

So they're now on Gumtree.

Hi all

Thanks for replying

I should have cleared it up that I was flying my tools over with a courier. Getting picked up from tomorrow with parcel monkey.

I decided to bite the bullet and leave my batteries out the box, and it paid off too, they sent me a list of prohibited items and batteries were classed as a dangerous item.

So they're now on Gumtree.

Why not just put them into your luggage as you fly? I paid $100 for a new 4 amp hour Ryobi battery earlier this year at bunnings.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/dangerous-goods/global/en (Carry on looks fine, just put electrical tape over the terminals.)

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/safe-travel-batteries-and-devices

Archived