Citizenship ceremony

Greatwall

Hi,

I'm waiting for a citizenship ceremony in a regional council,unfortunately the next one will be in Australia Day next year.but the council next to me is a city council and they have a ceremony every month. I'm going to change my address to the city council,so I might get a ceremony before Australia Day.

has anyone done that before?

cheers

i don't know if you have to change your address. i believe i read somewhere that Immi can organize for you to have your ceremony done at a neighboring council... i am sure someone will be along to confirm or deny.

It sucks mate waiting for a ceremony in a small regional council,they only have 2 in a year. I don't know that they put you on a neighbouring council. I'm asking again, has anyone done that before? Please tell your experience

cheers

Wouldn't it be great though to get made a citizen on Australia Day ?

I would like that if it was me.

I think like much of the visa/citizenship process, once something is over then you wonder what all the rush was about. But when you are waiting, it feels really slow. I have been waiting since March. My council has ceremonies coming up in early November and Australia Day. I know the Australia Day one would be worth waiting for and feel really special, but there's also part of me that is getting really impatient and would like the November date, just to finally draw a line under a process that seemed to start when I decided in August 2008 that I wanted to marry my Australian partner.

What's the bid deal ? Much nicer to do it on Australia Day anyway IMO.

Because I'm planning to travel in December and one of my mates getting married same month,I want a ceremony before December ,,,,,australia day is ok,but im not a big public person.see what happens,I'm trying...

I was under the impression you have to have it in your local council. I don't think you can just pretend you live elsewhere. I am sure I provided proof of address.

You our can still travel in December, just as you have for the last four years with your home country passport and visa.

Archived