Was your move as a couple/family driven much more by one of you.

excitedbutterrified

Just wondering if it is normal for a move to Oz to be driven by one partner much more than the other.

I am mad keen on sorting out the practicalities of our move to Melbourne, but my wife is much more subdued. She is still looking forward to it, and working towards that goal, but worries much more about all the practical aspects and is clearly much less excited.

It kind of worries me, and I don't want to push her into something she doesn't want to do. (She assures me she definitely wants to go, but there is a difference between us).

Nope we're both fly by the seat of your pants kinda people. Pretty much all of our momentous decisions have been spur of the moment. We've just taken opportunities that have popped up and gone with the flow. But we have agreed with the decisions we've made (except for the hiatus where I was desperate to leave Aus and he wouldn't live in UK - but circs changed and we both agreed when they did). If one of you doesn't share the passion though then I think you're more likely to struggle with it all.

Edited by Quoll

I am the one driving our move a lot more than our partner. I want to return home and my partner supports me in that but he worries about finding work (his is a small industry so not easy to find work) and how we will survive financially and not been a burden on my family (we will be staying with my mum for a while when we first land). He is on board with the move because he realises its a better life for the kids in Australia than London but he worries a lot more than I do. I am "it will all work out, we just have to get there, dont worry so much" but he doesnt get that and doesnt want to take any chances. It means a lot of what I want to plan and time scales are frequently delayed because he doesnt think we should move so quickly.

As long as you're flexible and dont burn any bridges (get UK citizenship for the alien/Aus citizenship for the alien - v important! Take a career break, rent out the house if you own one) then go with the flow it'll either all work out or it won't, no point overthinking it. The main thing to be aware of especially in a mixed marriage is the sticky on The Hague Convention and Australia's view on removal from jurisdiction.

From the migrants I have met, often one person tends to be more of the driving force than the other. Personally I think that both people have to be committed to giving it a real go, but they need to be honest about this before they come over. I think sometimes people get swept along with 'the dream', rather than understanding the reality of having to start their lives over again from scratch.

Edited by Jessica Berry