can a family of 5 live on one salary of $75k per annum?

susan

Thank you all for you replies, it has definitely given me food for thought.

Looks like i will have to work too, which is not really a problem as i have always worked, now need to check out what prospects there are for a civil/water engineer and how much childcare costs!!

If you know anyone looking an hydraulic engineer/modeller please point them in my direction !!

You haven't mentioned what visa you will be on - if it is temporary, you could struggle to find a position - as a temp dependent you aren't going to be an attractive proposition unfortunately. Child care ball park around $100 per day (more for babies) and no benefits for temp visa holders

Please forgive me ignorance, hubby and i are currently looking into moving to Melbourne. He has the opportunity of a job in Melbourne with a salary of approx £75k, Would this provide us and our three children with a reasonable standard of living. I too can work (as a civil engineer) on the visa, but our youngest is a baby and ideally i would like not to work for a year or two?

we are a family of 7 and we manage in Perth ........

You haven't mentioned what visa you will be on - if it is temporary, you could struggle to find a position - as a temp dependent you aren't going to be an attractive proposition unfortunately. Child care ball park around $100 per day (more for babies) and no benefits for temp visa holders

Visa is a temporary employer sponsored and the 2 youngest children are three years old and less than a year. .

Visa is a temporary employer sponsored and the 2 youngest children are three years old and less than a year. .

Child care is going to be very costly for you in that case as you won't get any child care rebate and the under 1s are going to cost more than the toddler - you should budget around $220 per day for the two but I'm a bit out of touch with child care fees at the mo and others will be along to tell you a going rate for Melbourne. I think it's going to be rather tight if you're quoting $.

Child care $100 per day per grommet.

CCR is 50% of this.

Its not worth you working at all, childcare will take the lot. Unless, as my wife does, you get shifts on the weekend when hubby ensures the kids don't kill themselves or each other. That will help a lot.

Our numbers current as of March this year:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/household/208074-living-costs-melbourne-2014-a.html

As you can see, $75,000 would be a no go for us.

Since I was made redundant I am looking at a career change and we have calculated the minimum we need to "survive". That is $75k. We have no children.

Sorry to hear that VS, didn't know you had been made redundant mate. Hope you got a good payout to tide you over.:yes:

Does the $75k include super? Not that it really matters, I think you'd struggle even if it doesn't, but just something to bare in mind?

I'd say $100k would be the min. required. That would be based upon a $400 a week rental and no savings. As others have said you cut your cloth to suit, but would I make the move based on the expected lifestyle....probably not!

Archived