BUYING HOUSE on a 457 VISA IS IT ALLOWED?

ausHWC

Hey peeps,

Hopefully a quick and easy one, has anyone bought a house on a temporary 457 visa stay?

- Is there a restriction that you must have lived in Oz for 1 year or something before being able to purchase?

- Is it hard for a UK migrant to buy a house on a 457 visa?

- What sort things do you need (apart from the obvious, cash) for the process?

Cheers folks, no dramas on this one, just curious.

Thanks

Yes, it can be done.

As mentioned you need FIRB approval, though that is usually just a formality.

You will need a larger deposit - probably about 20% and may not get access to the best deals.

The bigger issue is why? You are only coming for a temporary period and this visa assumes you will then be going home.

As the other posters have said, yes it can be done, but I would proceed with caution, as should you lose your job, you would only have 90 days to either secure another position or leave the country, and I can only imagine how much more stressful that situation would be if you had the added complication of a house to sell.

We actually bought on a 457, but we had a guarantee from OH's job written in to his contract, that he would be sponsored for PR after 2 years, plus his job was very secure, working for a large company. We also had the option to apply independently of his job for PR (his profession was on the SOL), plus my profession was on the list, so we could have applied that way also. I am not sure that we would have done it had we not had those fall-back plans.