PR - 2 years in a row, or add up your time over a few years?

Jammyllama

Hello all!!

Quick question, I know you can apply for PR after 2 years in Australia. However, does anyone know if these 2 years have to be back to back? Or can you do one year, have a gap abroad, then another year?

I've done 18months in Aus, been back in UK for 3 years, and want to head back on sponsorship.

I'm wondering if I can apply for PR after 6 months and include my time in the country a few years ago.

Thanks very much!

Jen

It is after two years in your sponsored 457 visa job....if you change jobs the two year count starts again....definitely not two years over a number of years....so your jobs on a WHV cannot count towards this visa unless they decided to sponsor you for a 457 when you were there.

There is no 2 year requirement to apply for PR.

if you have worked 2 years on a 457 visa for the same employer immediately before applying for the 186 visa you can go down the transitional route without requiring a skills assessment, if employer agrees to sponsor For PR. If you have not worked for the employer for 2 years before applying you need to use the direct route which requires a positive skills assessment and 3 years of relevant work experience.

Edited by lebourvellec

Hello all!!

Quick question, I know you can apply for PR after 2 years in Australia. However, does anyone know if these 2 years have to be back to back? Or can you do one year, have a gap abroad, then another year?

I've done 18months in Aus, been back in UK for 3 years, and want to head back on sponsorship.

I'm wondering if I can apply for PR after 6 months and include my time in the country a few years ago.

Thanks very much!

Jen

I am afraid you "know" wrong, you cannot apply for PR after 2 years in Australia. PR status can only be achieved by qualifying for and applying for a permanent visa and none of the permanent visas can be applied for purely on basis of time spent in the country.

So if you qualify for a permanent visa you can apply for it now if you want to, spending six months in the country first makes no difference.