Have mercy please IELTS

ByronSmith

I'm turning to you lot for inspiration. As it stands I've just received my 5th attempt IELTS results, and sadly writing is screwing me over.

My scores to date.

1. 9.0/8.0/7.0/9.0

2. 9.0/8.5/7.5/9.0

3. 9.0/9.0/6.5/9.0

4. 9.0/9.0/7.0/9.0

5. 9.0/8.5/7.0/9.0

My mother tongue is English but yet I cannot make the examiners happy with my writing. I've studied structure, vocab, grammar, cohesion, cohesiveness and so on. Still I cannot find a way past this flip'n pain in the whatsits.

I'm resorting to hiring a tutor now because the one thing I do find excruciatingly frustrating is that the results do no include a summary or indicator of what it is I am doing wrong. A small hint would be nice!!

Has anyone else managed to do the exam as many times as I? I'm sure I may be setting a new record here and making someone very rich at the same time.

Someone give me some love please. :cry:

Byron

Great idea to hire a tutor, do they have an appeal process at all? At least then you might get some feedback. The only thing I can suggest by looking at your writing, is don't use slang words ( I'm sure didn't in exam though). But other than that I'm supprised you keep failing. Good luck though xx

Good luck next time, Byron. Is IELTS the thing where you have to know things like the date of Anzac Day etc?

Thanks you, the IELTS is an English exam where they test your skills in all four components. Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.

Great idea to hire a tutor, do they have an appeal process at all? At least then you might get some feedback. The only thing I can suggest by looking at your writing, is don't use slang words ( I'm sure didn't in exam though). But other than that I'm supprised you keep failing. Good luck though xx

Thanks Nicola, that's a great tip! Fortunately, my writing is a little more formal in the exam that that of the forum. There is an appeal process, but it's only really useful if half a point is required. i.e 7.5 to 8.0. The sad part about that, I could have done so on my second attempt, but didn't realise you could until it was too late!

Hello, I have bumped my post up for you. I had the same problem. The YouTube link really helped my understand the format the examiners were looking for! Best of luck. I did remarks twice and never got an increase in score.

Thanks Nicola, that's a great tip! Fortunately, my writing is a little more formal in the exam that that of the forum. There is an appeal process, but it's only really useful if half a point is required. i.e 7.5 to 8.0. The sad part about that, I could have done so on my second attempt, but didn't realise you could until it was too late!

From the little I have seen, your writing seems perfectly fine to me. It is funny you are struggling with this bit, do you definitely hit the word count?

If you wanted to do a sample test and send it me by PM, I would be happy to take a look. I am not a tutor but I write a lot in my professional capacity and generally know the dos and do nots. (Please nobody analyse my past posts now I have said that)!

I sat the exam 3 times, so I understand you ((

Spend some lessons wth a tutor and if possible, sit the exam in another country where English in not native. I think chances of getting a higher score in writing would be much higher as your essay will stand out.

For some skills assessments OET is ok. I thought points was the issue. The advantage of OET is that only the unsatisfactory section/s must be repeated at a resit; unlike IELTS where all subtests must be repeated.

Interesting. Does it have the same banding levels?

Archived