457 visa - do I need a degree?

Hi all - apologies if the answer to my query is readily available in this forum - I've had a quick look but can't find anything...

Anyways, I have been offered a job in Sydney, subject to being granted a 457 visa. My profession is currently listed on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List. I have 15yrs of experience in my profession, a few relevant course/certificates received over the years, but only a college diploma and no degree.

The recruiter at the sponsoring company knows I don't have a degree….and what I've read elsewhere online seems to suggest the absence of a degree is okay so long as a decent amount of experience/skills can be evidenced…..so I can only assume that not having a degree won't affect my visa application too much………however, this hasn't stopped me from panicking!

Does anyone have any information that will either ease my panic or send me into despair!?!

Thanks in advance!

It will all come down to whether an employer wants a degree or not I guess. A lot of jobs do require undergrad degrees these days, need to look at the jobs on offer that you are interested in and see what they want. Seek is a good place to start. If you tell us what you do maybe someone will be able to help you more.

Thanks Lyndsey. The role isn't in medicine or law, so fingers crossed, everything will be okay. It's a Facilities Manager role assessed by VETASSESS.

It just feels funny resigning from my current job with only a 'job offer subject to visa' being the only thing I currently have - I have terrible thoughts of the visa application falling through, then both my wife and I being without jobs in the UK or an opportunity to move to Oz!! I guess I'm far from alone with these type of fears!!

It will all come down to whether an employer wants a degree or not I guess. A lot of jobs do require undergrad degrees these days, need to look at the jobs on offer that you are interested in and see what they want. Seek is a good place to start. If you tell us what you do maybe someone will be able to help you more.

Thanks Petals, but as advised, I have already been offered a job and it's now done to whether or not I'll be granted a 457 visa.

Thanks Lyndsey. The role isn't in medicine or law, so fingers crossed, everything will be okay. It's a Facilities Manager role assessed by VETASSESS.

It just feels funny resigning from my current job with only a 'job offer subject to visa' being the only thing I currently have - I have terrible thoughts of the visa application falling through, then both my wife and I being without jobs in the UK or an opportunity to move to Oz!! I guess I'm far from alone with these type of fears!!

Facilities Manager is an occupation where experience can be used in lieu of formal qualifications to satisfy the skills requirement.

I never recommend that applicants make irreversible decisions such as resigning from a secure job, until the visa has been approved. There are factors beyond your control which could cause the application to fail.

Facilities Manager is an occupation where experience can be used in lieu of formal qualifications to satisfy the skills requirement.

I never recommend that applicants make irreversible decisions such as resigning from a secure job, until the visa has been approved. There are factors beyond your control which could cause the application to fail.

Thanks Raul - normally, I'd agree and something I'd never normally do, except that my current job isn't strictly secure. It's a six-month contract and due to end in September. September is the earliest I could be in a position to move to Sydney so I can't really extend my contract further as my boss is looking to convert the position into a full-time role with a 3-month notice for resignations. This is mostly why I'm stressing out so much. I just need the visa granted then I can start to enjoy the prospect of moving to Sydney!

Do you have a plan in place to stay in Australia or are you content to return to the UK after the 457?

the 457 done not lead automatically to PR, you still need to qualify and apply for this if you wish to stay in Australia.

At the moment, we're content to move back to the UK. Our life goal has been to live and work abroad for a while - this is the first genuine opportunity we've had to do this.

Sorry I didn't see you had already mentioned it was an occupation of 'facilities manager'.

I'm under the impression that you don't need a skills assessment from VETASSESS for a 457 visa nomination, but rather an immigration case officer decides if you satisfy the conditions when assessing the nomination and visa application. Below is what's needed in any case, which you cover on both counts.

Indicative Skill Level:
    Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
    In Australia:

AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)

In New Zealand:

NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

Archived