cost of electrical and white goods

pomtastic

Hi All,

We will be moving to Sydney in the new year and wondered if it would be best to replace some of our electrical items in the UK or buy new when we arrive in Oz? Our TV and DVD need replacing, would a UK TV work in Oz, I presume it would be able to pickup terrestrial channels, as from the brief internet searches I've done, TV's are cheaper in the UK, but it would take 3 months to arrive due to shipping which will be covered by our sponsor which means we would need to rent one on arrival. Any guidance or recent experiences would be great.

cheers

Hi, we sold all of our stuff and gave it away to family.

The sales are really the best times to buy. Kogan online will give you good deals usually. I went into Harvey Norman and haggled as that is still viable here apparently. Got a good deal as I got tv, washer and fridge the same day. I also bought a new dvd player. Some of our dvds didn't play on the UK player and the laptop kept changing region but has a finite amount of changes.

Dick smiths, the good guys, harvey norman, kogan and Big W could all be good places to do some research on prices. Things here are more pricey but so is the shipping.

Bets of luck!

S X

I wouldn't buy items new in the UK to ship here if you can help it. For one, UK warranties arent always recognised here so if something goes wrong with it you could be stuck. For 2 ,you are supposed to have owned the item for a while and if you have lots of new stuff in the container ,Customs may pull you up for it.

There are lots of places here to get good bargains, The Good Guys, Rt Edwards / Retrovision, Harvey Norman are but a few, and remember if your buying a few items its the 'norm' to haggle and very rarely do you pay the 'shelf' price for an item.

Cal x

Hi. All our appliances were integrated so we had to buy new here. We got a large fridge freezer, a washing machine, microwave, 32 inch TV( admittedly not a top of the range one),and a food dehydrator, for around $2700. We haggled. That was at the good guys. There weren't any sales on at the time. There was also an offer where we got $200 back from the manufacturer of the fridge, which we got back around 2 months later.

The spaces for fridge freezers were different in every rental we looked at, so make sure you check first, especially the height. Had a friend who didn't realise this and he had to remove a bit of a cupboard so it would fit !

i think as a blanket rule it's fair to say that most white goods are more expensive- i bought a new fridge and washing machine not so long ago (ah, finally after 9 years, a front loader! ) and was told by my visiting parents that they were double what they were in the uk.

i think as a blanket rule it's fair to say that most white goods are more expensive- i bought a new fridge and washing machine not so long ago (ah, finally after 9 years, a front loader! ) and was told by my visiting parents that they were double what they were in the uk.

I couldn't disagree more, we found white goods to be around 25% cheaper than the UK and the traders more willing to haggle.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an american style side by side Fridge Freezer..the question is, should it bring it or sell it?

Had a look at that appliance online site, washing machines seemed very reasonable. Will need one as we need to leave ours here as rental company want it in the spec.

Thought Irons were quite expensive, though.

Can you haggle for better prices if you buy a few items or so in these places?? :wink:

I've got an american style side by side Fridge Freezer..the question is, should it bring it or sell it?

Some houses have space for them, others not. Chance you take really. That sort of fridge freezer would not fit anywhere in our house here in Aus. But it does fit a very large Aus style fridge freezer with one atop the other. Not a side by side one though. And we have a lovely fitted kitchen so would not change it to just fit a fancy fridge freezer. We have a tall freezer out in the laundry as extra :)

Had a look at that appliance online site, washing machines seemed very reasonable. Will need one as we need to leave ours here as rental company want it in the spec.

Thought Irons were quite expensive, though.

Can you haggle for better prices if you buy a few items or so in these places?? :wink:

I bought my iron from Target for $19 4 years ago however I try not to iron :wink:

I bought my iron from Target for $19 4 years ago however I try not to iron :wink:

That made me chuckle....:-)

I use my iron for pressing fabric when I sew/dressmake etc...very rarely use in in the normal domestic ironing way. That's a good price, so I'll not worry:smile:x

@pomtastic, I took my list of everything from TV to coffee maker to Harvey Norman, Good Guys, and Bing Lee. Bing Lee beat everybody, out the door and delivered, by $900 for the lot. And, as Que Sera Sera mentioned, http://www.appliancesonline.com.au, is getting a lot of play, and the prices are very good. If interested in used, http://www.gumtree com.au, and http://www.craigslist.com.au

Archived