Mental Health Nurses in (or about to be in) Australia

jac2011

Just wondering if you could tell me what the current work situation is in the states you are in?

Will be around 12 months till I arrive (perhaps 14 months) but I don't know whether with the state of financial savings I should be planning my location around availability of nursing jobs.

Is there many band 5 positions around? Are UK nurses still being employed? Does anyone have any useful contacts? I would love to be out there when my visa is granted hopefully June 2015 but will wait till Sept 15 when I have 12 months if needs be!

Thanks everyone!

The situation can change drastically, WA has just had a job freeze (now lifted), a colleague went over to QLD last year but returned not being able to find a permanent position. There's no banding here in WA you're an RN and would start at Level 1 and then the increments are according to years of service. Most newly qualified go onto the graduate programme for their first year, it's difficult to get on from overseas as they struggle to find enough places for their trained nurses at times - but again, it depends on the number of students etc.

At the last interviews that I was involved with, the advert said that preference would be given to Australian Citizens or those with Permanent residence, it's the first time I'd seen this on our adverts, so I'm assuming for some health services/hospitals there's a move away from sponsorship (again will vary from place to place). I would have things like your registration and visa in place before applying for jobs, because if you're up against someone who already has those in place they will be available for a more immediate start.

Thanks Ali!

I will be applying for my AHPRA in Aug/Sept and will hopefully have that by Jan 15. I will also be hopefully in a position to have my PR grant by June 15 so that will be when the fun starts. Do you happen to know how many applicants are applying for your roles at present? Just wondering whether it will even be possible with AHPRA and PR to be granted a position prior to leaving the UK? If a job was available I would be happy to move over before September, else we will wait till that magic 12 months experience before taking the leap of faith.

If you look on NSW health jobs there are a few positions but most will require experience.

New grad jobs will be much harder to get because there are lots of Aussie new grads looking for jobs.

Once you've got a bit of experience, things become much easier because Aussie nurses don't specifically train in mental health - they have to do a new grad programme.

Edited by Kapri

Hi Kapri, do you think there would be any hope of a job with 9 months experience? Or would I be better waiting until I can at least say 1 year? x

The new grad programmes are one year so I think you would be better waiting until then. It would also be easier for you if you already had a PR visa in place but sponsorship may not be impossible if you choose the right place.

I would qualify, then start researching jobs and areas and be ready to apply as soon as things come up.

That's the plan, been planning for 5 years now so getting ready for the next step. AHPRA have advised I can get my application in prior to qualifying so I am hoping having my registration in opens up some doors, if not once my visa application is in (or granted). I just don't know what the current situation is in differing states? Are jobs easier to come by in certain areas? I seem to see lots of positions available in Melbourne but I don't know if they are just more openly advertised. Do UK nurses tend to flock to certain hospitals? I am hoping to work in acute, forensic preferably but I will be open to adult mental health. My newly qualified position in the UK will be in challenging behaviour and PD and I wonder how transferable this is. Sorry for all the questions... Just starting to panic a little!

Hi jac2011,

We came to Adelaide at the end of February this year without jobs. My husband's a mental health nurse and had no problem at all finding work. He'd also only qualified last year and had been working for just 8 months as an MH nurse in the UK. Most positions in the public sector appear to be on a casual basis, but he's had more work than he originally wanted and is planning to start working fewer hours from mid-August. Casual positions seem to be the precursor to permanent work - he's been asked a couple of times if he'd like to go permanent. You also get an extra 24% on your wage if you're casual (but obviously no sick pay, maternity pay, holiday pay etc.).

Re: AHPRA, my husband was told he'd need 3 months experience as a qualified nurse before he could apply. He then waited 7 months after applying before he was registered over here. The whole process was ridiculous with emails being ignored and them deciding after 6 months they needed more information then changing their minds again. From what I've read about them recently, the situation is even worse now so brace yourself for a wait with them! x

I am hoping to work in acute, forensic preferably but I will be open to adult mental health. My newly qualified position in the UK will be in challenging behaviour and PD and I wonder how transferable this is. Sorry for all the questions... Just starting to panic a little!

My husband worked in an Acquired Brain Injury Unit in the UK but now works in Community Mental Health over here so it didn't seem to matter that he had no qualified experience in that field. x

Thanks Ali!

I will be applying for my AHPRA in Aug/Sept and will hopefully have that by Jan 15. I will also be hopefully in a position to have my PR grant by June 15 so that will be when the fun starts. Do you happen to know how many applicants are applying for your roles at present? Just wondering whether it will even be possible with AHPRA and PR to be granted a position prior to leaving the UK? If a job was available I would be happy to move over before September, else we will wait till that magic 12 months experience before taking the leap of faith.

I work in community mental health so they're level 2 positions so get lots of applicants.

Hi jac2011,

We came to Adelaide at the end of February this year without jobs. My husband's a mental health nurse and had no problem at all finding work. He'd also only qualified last year and had been working for just 8 months as an MH nurse in the UK. Most positions in the public sector appear to be on a casual basis, but he's had more work than he originally wanted and is planning to start working fewer hours from mid-August. Casual positions seem to be the precursor to permanent work - he's been asked a couple of times if he'd like to go permanent. You also get an extra 24% on your wage if you're casual (but obviously no sick pay, maternity pay, holiday pay etc.).

Re: AHPRA, my husband was told he'd need 3 months experience as a qualified nurse before he could apply. He then waited 7 months after applying before he was registered over here. The whole process was ridiculous with emails being ignored and them deciding after 6 months they needed more information then changing their minds again. From what I've read about them recently, the situation is even worse now so brace yourself for a wait with them! x

Our managers are shying away from casual contracts because of the cost (costs more than an agency nurse), so people are offered fixed term contracts.

Guest NuriootpaSA

If you have a UK degree you should be ok.

Private hospitals are still offering sponsorship, thus avoiding ANMAC and IELTS (and associated costs).

Thanks everyone!

In reply to the applying before qualifying question, basically after has said we can send off all our docs and then forward our completion certificate once we have it. I'm thinking the app's will be in a queue for a while anyway, and AHPRA said if anything is missing the case officer processing it will just request the missing items. So I am going to get mine posted off end of August time just to save a few weeks.

NuriootSA, Do you know what private hospitals are still offering sponsorship? Would love to secure a job first. Luckily (and very luckily) I qualified with a degree, all the other uni's I applied were for Diplomas.

That's my only fear at present, not being able to secure a job.

• 5 months later...

Thanks, My AHPRA application is being processed. I applied for this straight away in September but unfortunately NMC messed up and didnt sent them all the documents they required and NMC only admitted to this 5 phone calls and several emails later. So hopefully this will be achieved by March.

I am trying to stay a few steps ahead and my ANMAC application went off on the 2nd as I had to wait until the 26th December to get a professional reference with 3 months experience. Hopefully there will be no issues with that.

I am not collating the documentation and starting the process for police checks so we are ready to go with the visa application once the time comes.

I have a few contacts to get in touch with once I am granted the AHPRA registration and I will apply for a few roles so hopefully this will help with work.

Hi Jac,

I'm sorry to jump on the thread but I was wondering if I could get some info from you. I am due to qualify this year as a Mental Health Nurse and basically want to go out to Aus ASAP. Myself and my wife just went out there to try it for honeymoon last month to see if it's what we want to do and basically fell in love with the place! I was wondering if you had the choice of where you went? Where it was you found employment? Did you have any post qualification experience before applying or can you apply and work while the process is ongoing so you have experience by the time you get there? Myself and my wife like the look of Melbourne, but to be honest we would go anywhere! Her dad has been in Sydney now for 10+ years after emigrating from the UK so he has been very positive about Nursing in Aus.

Sorry for all the questions but I seem to have only found negative information online and yours is one of the few positives I've seen since I see you fly out this year! You must be so excited!

Thanks in advance

Nick

Hi Nick,

I have never actually been to Oz and so I have my options open at the moment. I am trying to be patient and apply for the permanent visa so it will take me a year from qualifying. Most employes I spoke to seem to prefer this so I gathered that it was owrth waiting. I had initially hoped I could go sooner but then I could have struggled to find work. Worst case scenario if I dont have a job before I go I can do agency with healthcare australia.

I will have 12 months experience post qualifying but I didnt need this for the visa process. I started the visa process 3 months post qualifying. You need 3 months work experience.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice please, or if any one can point me in the right direction of a post which outlines the required steps in order to get started ( I saw one but of course can't find it now) to apply for going to Oz to do MH nursing.

Here is a summary of my situation:

I am 32 - I have a degree in mental health nursing and have been qualified for 18 months. I currently work in Forensics, but have some addictions experience as well.

I think I am eligible for skilled migration, however find the migration website rather confusing.

I am aware that we need to register for our equivalent of our NMC, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC)from what I gather from their form I need to have a Visa in place though before I can apply - is this correct?

I keep reading that if you have secondary education you don't need to do the language test, but I am assuming people do to gain further points?

I am also aware of Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) this is to have your skills validated - when should this part of the process be applied for?

My head is full of abbreviations and I'm getting a bit confused :wacko:however keen to start, so any advice is most appreciated. I have considered calling an immigration agency, however the costs seem a bit eye watering! Thanks for reading.

Gayle

Guest Guest100417
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice please, or if any one can point me in the right direction of a post which outlines the required steps in order to get started ( I saw one but of course can't find it now) to apply for going to Oz to do MH nursing.

Here is a summary of my situation:

I am 32 - I have a degree in mental health nursing and have been qualified for 18 months. I currently work in Forensics, but have some addictions experience as well.

I think I am eligible for skilled migration, however find the migration website rather confusing.

I am aware that we need to register for our equivalent of our NMC, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC)from what I gather from their form I need to have a Visa in place though before I can apply - is this correct?

I keep reading that if you have secondary education you don't need to do the language test, but I am assuming people do to gain further points?

I am also aware of Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) this is to have your skills validated - when should this part of the process be applied for?

My head is full of abbreviations and I'm getting a bit confused :wacko:however keen to start, so any advice is most appreciated. I have considered calling an immigration agency, however the costs seem a bit eye watering! Thanks for reading.

Gayle

Hi Gayle,

The IELTS test is for points and at 32 you still get max points (for age at least). I think that you can apply to AHPRA before getting a visa but not 100% sure, but you definitely do need the ANMAC positive skills assessment before anything.

I too am 32, psych trained but only a diploma but hopefully complete my last 3 modules by July. For me I first booked and completed the IELTS English test in academic and gained an 8.5 so got good points for this and was able to claim for 8 full years employment as a nurse (no student time or hca work is counted) after gaining a positive skills assessment from ANMAC, it was the expression of interest, booked the medicals when asked and sorted the police checks. The medical results get automatically uploaded so no need to do this yourself.

if you want to know anything, just ask and I'll answer if I can.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I am getting there slowly - going to go down the APHRA route first then a 487 visa for sponsorship thanks to some davice from peeps from here. Its a minefield!!

I hope that your last three modules for degree aren't too arduous!!

Cheers, Gayle