Boring boring boring

starlight7

The interview on tv tonight between Michael Parkinson and Ian Thorpe. Personality factor- zero for Thorpe. What a disappointment, thought he might have been more interesting that that. Me,me,me and (wait)- more me. Sad.

I did not waste my time watching it. I have better things to do than to listen to someone in the public eye "bearing his soul". His life is his business, so I am darned if I can understand someone putting themselves out there telling all when they have absolutely no need to.

The interview on tv tonight between Michael Parkinson and Ian Thorpe. Personality factor- zero for Thorpe. What a disappointment, thought he might have been more interesting that that. Me,me,me and (wait)- more me. Sad.

I would not expect anyone who had devoted their life to swimming up and down would have much of interest to say. And I would expect them to be self-absorbed as this is surely a necessary trait to be the best at something. Not saying this is the case as obviously didn't see it.

I've not seen it. Was out and about.

Having said that, I was never overly keen on him and then he did some commentating at the London Olympics, the swimming stuff, with Claire Balding and he was brilliant. They also got him into the studio a few times and he was great. One of the best presenters/commentators in the whole lot. Changed my thoughts on him thats for sure. He really shone.

I didn't watch it, and don't particularly intend to. And you're right; many people have to deal with this exact same scenario on their own with far less privileged surroundings - and they certainly don't ask for a televised interview afterwards.

I think the only interesting aspect to this is the sporting angle -- whereby either by culture or surroundings, he felt the need to lie for so long when asked about girlfriends etc. I'm not sure if this is because he knew/felt he would get a hard time of it at 'work' or whether he had a family/friends issue to overcome. So really, I think the 'story' (if that's what we can call it) is not about him at all: but about the sport and mind-set of those that work in that area.

Archived