Where wouldn't you consider living in Australia?

starlight7

Yes, isolation. I moved for an adventure to explore the country and the region. Within two hours flying from Sydney, I can be in Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Tasmania and all the surrounding regions. Three hours and I am in Cairns, New Zealand and well on my way to Fiji. There are a couple of places best explored from a Perth base, but not so many. My next holiday is to Western Australia, Margaret River, Albany and Esperance.

Add Augusta to that list Pumpkin. It's only a short drive from Margaret River but I think people can't be bothered with the last bit. We only discovered it because they moved an adventure race we do every year since it's inception from Dunsborough down to Augusta. It's on in November and it's done wonders for Augusta.

It really is a hidden gem with the Blackwood river heading into the Ocean there. You can hire a really nice house there very cheaply. The scenery round there is fantastic and well worth a look round, even if you only have a day. Mountain bike trails around that area and ski paddling off the coast and in the river is brilliant.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im totally opposite to you :) I lived in an regional town and we had a school, post office/shop and the tavern and I loved it. Lived there for a year and applying to go back on my 457. Yes it can get monotonous at times and you crave something to do but I found when I went back to Perth I enjoyed it so much more and it felt like a mini break. After living there for that amount of time, it took me a while to adjust when I came home to scotland and my town. All of a sudden there was people and traffic everywhere and all the time :)

Only thing I really missed living in the town was the cinema. At home, I would go 3-4 times a month and out there you cant really justify driving 400+kms just for a movie lol

It's great to see that we're not all the same otherwise some of those small towns wouldn't exist and we would all be crammed on the coast.:cool:

Anywhere that you have to drive more than 30 minutes to the coast is too far in land for me now. I used to have to go to Kalgoorlie and mine sites up North when I had a job in predictive maintenance. I used to have to drive hours, sometimes on unmade roads, feeling tired, passing road trains and then you would end up somewhere like Cue. I would think why would anyone want to live somewhere like this. Even Kalgoorlie was the pits (no pun intended) for me, I couldn't wait to get the job done and get out of there.

There are some fantastic places to live in Aus but there are loads of places that, for me and the family, I wouldn't dream of living. I would rather spend a couple of years in jail than a couple of years in some of those places.

Alice Springs would be one I think. Didn't like Canberra one bit either.

12 years doing that driving thingo, P1P Loved it all, dust flies, road trains where they would move over to the other side of the road so you could have a clear view and pass, then you would move over for their benefit.

Bl**dy great way of life. Also, pulling up to see if 'tourists' were ok as they parked in the middle of nowhere and get a 'thumbs up' because you stopped to enquire their safety...

Great memories of those times and places.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

12 years doing that driving thingo, P1P Loved it all, dust flies, road trains where they would move over to the other side of the road so you could have a clear view and pass, then you would move over for their benefit.

Bl**dy great way of life. Also, pulling up to see if 'tourists' were ok as they parked in the middle of nowhere and get a 'thumbs up' because you stopped to enquire their safety...

Great memories of those times and places.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Like I said Bob, good we're not all the same. I think you change as you get older and have a family too. If I had come out here younger I would have loved to work as a Jackeroo or maybe even drove a road train, just for the adventure. My friend who I went to uni with emigrated after me and lives in the same village here. His wife was the big push for them to emigrate as she had worked as a Jillaroo on a station up North when she was younger and loved it. They have 3 kids now and she's said to me she couldn't imagine doing it now.:laugh:

All good though. That's the thing about Aus, there's something for everyone without having to have a passport and go out of the country. My friends are in Mt Buller at the moment skiing.:cool:

Like I said Bob, good we're not all the same. I think you change as you get older and have a family too. If I had come out here younger I would have loved to work as a Jackeroo or maybe even drove a road train, just for the adventure. My friend who I went to uni with emigrated after me and lives in the same village here. His wife was the big push for them to emigrate as she had worked as a Jillaroo on a station up North when she was younger and loved it. They have 3 kids now and she's said to me she couldn't imagine doing it now.:laugh:

All good though. That's the thing about Aus, there's something for everyone without having to have a passport and go out of the country. My friends are in Mt Buller at the moment skiing.:cool:

Could easily head out to the scrub and not see another human for a year, or so...Just so long as there is some mineral wealth for fossicking, or big waterhole for fishing, I'd be as happy as Larry. Bright lights are not my thing and never have been. Hold on, a uv torch would be ok...:wink: I know where there is a small uranium deposit in The Kimberlies.

Cheers, Bobj.

Could easily head out to the scrub and not see another human for a year, or so...Just so long as there is some mineral wealth for fossicking, or big waterhole for fishing, I'd be as happy as Larry. Bright lights are not my thing and never have been. Hold on, a uv torch would be ok...:wink: I know where there is a small uranium deposit in The Kimberlies.

Cheers, Bobj.

You're not the guy they fashioned the character in Wolfcreek after are you?:wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
And you've chose to come on a pommy website because...????

Because he is a pom and loves us really :wink: I have to admit though I do agree with him at times.

Guest The Pom Queen
No......that's me

I heard there was a guy in Edmomton stopping traffic and pretending to be the police today, now I know who it was :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
wasn't me.....I was flying around Qld today

Little one was flying around the base at Townsville a few weeks back he loved it. May have to see if anyone up here does lessons that won't need us to remortgage.

Coober Pedy. Worst place I've been to in Oz. Lawless and unsafe. Car loads of drinking hoons tearing up the place. Drunks roaming the streets, saw people drinking from bottles of methylated spirits. But that was 34 years ago so hopefully they have cleaned up their act.

Little one was flying around the base at Townsville a few weeks back he loved it. May have to see if anyone up here does lessons that won't need us to remortgage.

No flying lessons are cheap anymore Kate....Aero Club is as good as anywhere or you could look at the Air Cadets, they have the building at the Airport with the dummy drogue bomb on a stand outside....they meet on Friday nights I think. I'm not a Flying Instructor so I'm of no use.

Guest The Pom Queen
No flying lessons are cheap anymore Kate....Aero Club is as good as anywhere or you could look at the Air Cadets, they have the building at the Airport with the dummy drogue bomb on a stand outside....they meet on Friday nights I think. I'm not a Flying Instructor so I'm of no use.

That's where he goes now Les, they use to do cheap lessons down at the 406 squadron but they don't seem to have a lot on offer at 1 wing. They even have their own simulator now but cannot use it for commercial gain which is a shame.

Will check out the Aero Club though thanks for that.

Anywhere other than Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth as I would get bored. I might make an exception for Townsville and Cairns for the climate and I could probably live anywhere if I was being paid enough.

I lived in Ballarat when I first arrived which was awful, miles from Melbourne and a climate identical to home.

Just curious why he wanted to live anywhere where poms don't live but spends all the time on a pommy website. Where and why I live where I do hasn't anything to do with you

Just curious myself. You constantly berate the place you live in and never have a good word to say. I hope your life takes a turn for the better soon and you are able to free yourself from the shackles of Perth.

Cheerio.

Archived