My nephew has emigrated to the UK, at the same age his father was when he came to OZ!

MARYROSE02

It's just a coincidence that they are/were both 22, but it struck me the way that life goes on in the same cycles. My brothers and I left England one by one (there are three of us) and I always felt a little guilty for being the one who broke the family up. Now my brother and his wife have become 'empty-nesters' after 25 years of bringing up a family. My nephew, born in Australia, waited until he'd got his Pommie passport before heading off with his English girlfriend. I guess it does not matter where you live, you have much the same experiences.

I don't know if he will stay in England for good, or come back with his girlfriend to live here. I think the plan is to come back, but who knows? You always think that is it only Pommies who come to Australia, but there are more than a few Aussies living permanently in the UK. I remember flying to Menorca in 1997 and sitting next to a bloke from OZ who'd married an English woman.

I don't know if he will stay in England for good, or come back with his girlfriend to live here. I think the plan is to come back, but who knows? You always think that is it only Pommies who come to Australia, but there are more than a few Aussies living permanently in the UK. I remember flying to Menorca in 1997 and sitting next to a bloke from OZ who'd married an English woman.

LOL, mine only went for a post Uni gap year - 12 yrs ago, now with a house in London, wife and baby on the way he says he can't even be bothered to return to Aus for a holiday, hasn't bothered to renew his Aus passport but will have to do so if they plan on taking the sprog to meet one if his gt grandparents. Interestingly, the son who went, never to return, lasted 7 months!

Its just s shame so many come to the UK or to Aus, because of who their family are/ who theyr'e dating. The real travelers, the real people with balls are those who move with no connections whatsoever. Make friends/ a life. Its harder but very rewarding. I actually have a similar question related to this thread. i shall start my own thread and then I suppose the mods can merge it if they find its too similar.

All our family are back in the UK, so we are the new pioneers.

I do wonder if we are starting a new chain.

its a nice but sad feeling, hope I'm around long enough to see grandchildren enjoy the wonders of Oz

All our family are back in the UK, so we are the new pioneers.

I do wonder if we are starting a new chain.

its a nice but sad feeling, hope I'm around long enough to see grandchildren enjoy the wonders of Oz

My parents came out here for a few trips, got to see their Aussie grandchildren, and made contact after many years with the NZ side of our family.

Archived