What do you miss about the UK?

aconcannon

LOL. I have heard it said a few times on the forum over the years, that Northerners make a go of things here and settle easier than Southerners, the reason 'apparantly' is because the North is so grim with crap weather and no-one wants to be there anyway,,lol

Cal x

Personally, as a southern 'poofter', I think the difference is that northerners (and Scots) identify more with Australia's innate 'chippiness', as in they seem to both nurse a serious chip on their shoulder

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL. I have heard it said a few times on the forum over the years, that Northerners make a go of things here and settle easier than Southerners, the reason 'apparantly' is because the North is so grim with crap weather and no-one wants to be there anyway,,lol

Cal x[/

Burnley, Blackpool, Blackburn, Bolton to name a few.. No wonder northerners stay in perth

Personally, as a southern 'poofter', I think the difference is that northerners (and Scots) identify more with Australia's innate 'chippiness', as in they seem to both nurse a serious chip on their shoulder

Interesting one this. Maybe it also depends on the part of Australia you move to as well as your background?. Our first two years here were spent on the Gold Coast and the Brits I overwhelmingly encountered there were from the North of England or the Midlands, worked as Tradies and were pretty dismissive of the UK due to what they perceived as limited work and lifestyle opportunities there. Upon meeting up, when they'd established that I was a fellow Brit, I found that they tended to assert that they were in Australia for life and that wild horses couldn't drag them back to the life they'd come from. When they found out that I was homesick and didn't like the GC or Australia in general, there were more than a few incredulous looks, followed by some questioning of my sanity!.

What was striking was that people nearly always asked "Are you staying?" quite early on in the conversation. I guess that that's different to just passively assuming that everyone liked the place as much as they did, and perhaps it was to try and get a measure of whether I was worth persevering with socially, but it did routinely feature as part of those initial exchanges you have when you encounter someone from your homeland when you're living overseas.

When we came to Melbourne in 2011 we randomly ended up in one of the more affluent southern suburbs and were immediately exposed to a different demographic in terms of the British ex-pat population. I now find that the majority of Brits I encounter tend to be middle-class professionals, and a lot more of them (although not overwhelmingly) are from the South of England. What's striking for me in terms of this group is that living in Australia tends to be viewed as just another life option, and not necessarily a permanent one. With Melbourne being a big, multi-cultural, international city, there seems to be a significant flow of people moving in and out of the city, often just staying for a couple of years. In that respect, it reminds me a lot more of London with it's own fluid, transient population. Quite a number of the kids my daughter goes to school with come from 'mixed' parental relationships, i.e., one Australian parent and one British/Indian/Pacific Asian etc parent. Perhaps because of this, we see a lot of families coming and going and not staying in Melbourne for longer than two-three years. When I talk to other parents about hopefully returning to live in the UK in the future, it's very rare (in my experience) for people to express surprise or distaste at the prospect of this, and a number of people have referenced coming to Melbourne to give their Australian partner / kids a chance to spend meaningful time in their home country and around family and friends before moving on somewhere else. What I certainly don't get from conversations with other Brits down here is a desperation to stay in Australia at all costs, no matter what, like it's a golden ticket that must never be surrendered for fear of being seen as a 'failure' or someone who wasn't able to stick it out here.

I love watching 'Midsomer Murders', and since the ABC seems to be working their way through the entire series in the arvo at 3.30, I look forward to each arvo. (Damn, I don't EVER want to go back to work!)

I'm sure shows like that must make people very nostalgic and sentimental, as it does to me, but I no longer yearn to live in one of those villages, alhough I miss having the countryside so close, with public footpaths. I guess I can substitute Australian faces and Australian locations now.

I love watching 'Midsomer Murders', and since the ABC seems to be working their way through the entire series in the arvo at 3.30, I look forward to each arvo. (Damn, I don't EVER want to go back to work!)

I'm sure shows like that must make people very nostalgic and sentimental, as it does to me, but I no longer yearn to live in one of those villages, alhough I miss having the countryside so close, with public footpaths. I guess I can substitute Australian faces and Australian locations now.

Is that due to having been here so long that your default setting changes to seeing things through an Australian filter?. A sign that Australia has become home for you now to the extent that if someone asked you to visualise a country town it'd more likely be Castlemaine rather than say, Chipping Norton or Tewksbury?.

Nearly six years in to living in Australia I still find it a stark, and slightly threatening country physically. That's not to say that there aren't elements of dramatic beauty - The Great Ocean Road for example - but I find much of the country harsh and difficult to look at. I certainly can't relate to it as a landscape in the same way that I can with the British countryside. That's not to say that the UK is some kind of gigantic version of The Cotswolds, plenty of it is pretty ugly too, it's just that where it is beautiful, that beauty gets into my soul in a way Australia's never been able to do.

Interesting one this. Maybe it also depends on the part of Australia you move to as well as your background?. Our first two years here were spent on the Gold Coast and the Brits I overwhelmingly encountered there were from the North of England or the Midlands, worked as Tradies and were pretty dismissive of the UK due to what they perceived as limited work and lifestyle opportunities there. Upon meeting up, when they'd established that I was a fellow Brit, I found that they tended to assert that they were in Australia for life and that wild horses couldn't drag them back to the life they'd come from. When they found out that I was homesick and didn't like the GC or Australia in general, there were more than a few incredulous looks, followed by some questioning of my sanity!.

What was striking was that people nearly always asked "Are you staying?" quite early on in the conversation. I guess that that's different to just passively assuming that everyone liked the place as much as they did, and perhaps it was to try and get a measure of whether I was worth persevering with socially, but it did routinely feature as part of those initial exchanges you have when you encounter someone from your homeland when you're living overseas.

When we came to Melbourne in 2011 we randomly ended up in one of the more affluent southern suburbs and were immediately exposed to a different demographic in terms of the British ex-pat population. I now find that the majority of Brits I encounter tend to be middle-class professionals, and a lot more of them (although not overwhelmingly) are from the South of England. What's striking for me in terms of this group is that living in Australia tends to be viewed as just another life option, and not necessarily a permanent one. With Melbourne being a big, multi-cultural, international city, there seems to be a significant flow of people moving in and out of the city, often just staying for a couple of years. In that respect, it reminds me a lot more of London with it's own fluid, transient population. Quite a number of the kids my daughter goes to school with come from 'mixed' parental relationships, i.e., one Australian parent and one British/Indian/Pacific Asian etc parent. Perhaps because of this, we see a lot of families coming and going and not staying in Melbourne for longer than two-three years. When I talk to other parents about hopefully returning to live in the UK in the future, it's very rare (in my experience) for people to express surprise or distaste at the prospect of this, and a number of people have referenced coming to Melbourne to give their Australian partner / kids a chance to spend meaningful time in their home country and around family and friends before moving on somewhere else. What I certainly don't get from conversations with other Brits down here is a desperation to stay in Australia at all costs, no matter what, like it's a golden ticket that must never be surrendered for fear of being seen as a 'failure' or someone who wasn't able to stick it out here.

Maybe the weather is a big factor in Melbourne too. Speaking from my own experience it was certainly one of the main reasons I embarked on the move, then it turned out to be only marginally better than southern england (better but not an improvement worth moving 10,000).

That has to be one of the worst shows ever produced in terms of bad acting, bad script and reckless use of pretty countryside to make up for the bad acting and bad script. In the same league as 'Kingdom' IMO.

Give me shows like 'Luther' and 'Sherlock' any day. They make me homesick

Friends and family being able to pop over for a cuppa. Has to be going to watch the blues at Goodison , although I don't miss the layers of clothes I needed to sit there for 2 hours . Miss all the footy progs on the TV but don't miss any other TV as mostly watched the news and politics stuff anyway. I order stuff from M&S and get free delivery which is great. Went back at Christmas and first stop was M&S cafe for a Cumberland sausage toastie. Wasn't as fab as we had remembered. We've adopted a much healthier eating style over here as the fruit and veg is much better. Miss the long light summer evenings. We will never have that here on the Sunny Coast even if they do change the daylight saving hours. Was lucky enough to see quite a bit of Europe so looking forward to seeing some of the history here and in the countries closer to Oz. Listened to Life in a northern town by The Dream Academy recently...now that really did make me nostalgic but probably because I was a teenager at the time. What you miss may depend on where you land in Oz, I'm lucky that I have the most amazing green hinterland and stunning beaches. Anyone who is lucky enough to hold dual nationality for both countries really did get hit with the lucky stick :)

Well who knew when I wrote this I would be back in the UK a couple of weeks later, back in the house we lived in for 10 years. Very mixed feelings about everything and certainly clouded by having to return due to the house being trashed by our tenants including a welcoming racist comment on my front window !! Hubby joins me with our girlies on Monday as his dad is ill. So friends and family have been able to pop over for a cuppa, the season hasn't started yet so no trips to Goodison. Had afternoon tea in M&S for two for £12.00. I thought I missed the light nights...I now realise its not as big a deal for me as I thought. Everywhere seems too hectic for me...clearly the Sunshine Coast laid back attitude has rubbed off on me. Loving watching the commonwealth games in the same time zone. Enjoying listening to the English anthem but surprisingly have gained a soft spot for the Australian one. Yet again I am reminded that I am simply lucky to be able to live in either country.... I do feel a what do you miss about Oz thread coming on......:D

That has to be one of the worst shows ever produced in terms of bad acting, bad script and reckless use of pretty countryside to make up for the bad acting and bad script. In the same league as 'Kingdom' IMO.

Give me shows like 'Luther' and 'Sherlock' any day. They make me homesick

Dave the Philistine disagrees with you, and I love the characters. I've just realized that the murders themselves are almost irrelevant. It is just a feel-good show, and what is wrong with that!? Not seen Luther.

Well who knew when I wrote this I would be back in the UK a couple of weeks later, back in the house we lived in for 10 years. Very mixed feelings about everything and certainly clouded by having to return due to the house being trashed by our tenants including a welcoming racist comment on my front window !! Hubby joins me with our girlies on Monday as his dad is ill. So friends and family have been able to pop over for a cuppa, the season hasn't started yet so no trips to Goodison. Had afternoon tea in M&S for two for £12.00. I thought I missed the light nights...I now realise its not as big a deal for me as I thought. Everywhere seems too hectic for me...clearly the Sunshine Coast laid back attitude has rubbed off on me. Loving watching the commonwealth games in the same time zone. Enjoying listening to the English anthem but surprisingly have gained a soft spot for the Australian one. Yet again I am reminded that I am simply lucky to be able to live in either country.... I do feel a what do you miss about Oz thread coming on......:D

Your experiences are very similar to mine. I used to go back and forth, staying with my parents in my 'home from home', then when I was made redundant, I had the opportunity to stay in England for a long period, changing in the process from 'holiday in England' mode to 'living in England' mode. Even after my Dad died (Mum having died a few years earlier, I was happy in their home, (which I bought.) Now it is rented out and I'm back in Sydney.

Dave the Philistine disagrees with you, and I love the characters. I've just realized that the murders themselves are almost irrelevant. It is just a feel-good show, and what is wrong with that!? Not seen Luther.

Luther is a feel-bad show. Its bloody brilliant!

[/b]

Is that due to having been here so long that your default setting changes to seeing things through an Australian filter?. A sign that Australia has become home for you now to the extent that if someone asked you to visualise a country town it'd more likely be Castlemaine rather than say, Chipping Norton or Tewksbury?.

Nearly six years in to living in Australia I still find it a stark, and slightly threatening country physically. That's not to say that there aren't elements of dramatic beauty - The Great Ocean Road for example - but I find much of the country harsh and difficult to look at. I certainly can't relate to it as a landscape in the same way that I can with the British countryside. That's not to say that the UK is some kind of gigantic version of The Cotswolds, plenty of it is pretty ugly too, it's just that where it is beautiful, that beauty gets into my soul in a way Australia's never been able to do.

I'm not sure. I know I miss being able to visit, by bike, or drive, lots of little villages and towns, with masses of countryside in between, and I miss being able to 'access' that countryside via public footpath or bridleway.

But I also love Aussie country towns, especially the ones with their Victorian heritage of pubs, courthouse, post office, bank. Windsor in NSW, one of the original 'Macquarie Towns' is like that, and Richmond, and when I go there, I imagine living in a town where I can walk down to the river, or to the shops, and have countryside around.

I'm used to the English names and no longer think about their origins, though I sometimes joke about say 'Clovelly in West Country being named after a beach in Sydney.' (C*** joke i know.) Sometimes too, look at a suburb like Canterbury and think how different it is to the Cathedral town in England.

On a Sunday morning, I used to look out of my window in Surry Hills and feel lonely, and think how good it would be to be in England (always worse when I'd just come back too.) Now, I just see 'home' so I guess you are right about having adjusted to Australia. And with my parents having passed away, the links are almost completely severed.

Luther is a feel-bad show. Its bloody brilliant!

Does that describe a difference between our two personalities?! Watching Midsomer, from the opening credits I feel this warmth, no one really dies, and there's a lovely ending.

I love reading Gerald Seymour books, ever since Harry's Game, but I hated the way he just does NOT do happy endings. There is often a loser hero and a loser heroine, but he cannot bear to marry them off at the end! I love the way he sets his book in current trouble spots too.

I KNOW life is not about happy endings, and it does not mean I do not 'do' quirky, but I like a good story - Trainspotting for eg. (Still hoping that they will do sequel, and now prequel since 'Skag Boys' came out.)

I love Irwin Welsh's characters too, especially Begbie!

Does that describe a difference between our two personalities?! Watching Midsomer, from the opening credits I feel this warmth, no one really dies, and there's a lovely ending.

I love reading Gerald Seymour books, ever since Harry's Game, but I hated the way he just does NOT do happy endings. There is often a loser hero and a loser heroine, but he cannot bear to marry them off at the end! I love the way he sets his book in current trouble spots too.

I KNOW life is not about happy endings, and it does not mean I do not 'do' quirky, but I like a good story - Trainspotting for eg. (Still hoping that they will do sequel, and now prequel since 'Skag Boys' came out.)

I love Irwin Welsh's characters too, especially Begbie!

Maybe: I like nihilism, in fiction but not in real life.

[/b]

Go spend a day in Bolton :laugh:

Hertfordshire

Are you a 'Gooner?' (he asked suspiciously!) To be honest, and I hate to say it, if you were truly nasty, I'd say Yid, though I am not nasty Yid! I love watching Spurs, but have to say some of the fans, not all, are just not nice. In many ways, I'd rather go watch the game with the West Ham boys, though not perhaps the first game of the season.

My Dad's family come from St Albans and also Redbourne. (My Mum was a Geordie - Jarrow, Hebburn Colliery, Monkton, and I was born in South Shields, but had no time to develop that hard Geordie skin.)

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I'm not into football of any description.

If I was though, I'd probably be a gooner, but only because you're a 'yid' :wink:

Are you a 'Gooner?' (he asked suspiciously!) To be honest, and I hate to say it, if you were truly nasty, I'd say Yid, though I am not nasty Yid! I love watching Spurs, but have to say some of the fans, not all, are just not nice. In many ways, I'd rather go watch the game with the West Ham boys, though not perhaps the first game of the season.

My Dad's family come from St Albans and also Redbourne. (My Mum was a Geordie - Jarrow, Hebburn Colliery, Monkton, and I was born in South Shields, but had no time to develop that hard Geordie skin.)

At last, a more intellectual and constructive answer from a fellow southerner. Well said

Nowt wrong with Bolton mate, they breed us tough and we learn early never to fall at the first hurdle,, umm, maybe thats our secret to success during migration,lol..

We did have a member once who did return and she later said as soon as she arrived at the Train station, she knew she had made a mistake,lol

Cal x

Sorry cant agree, lol. Dont like Bolton or Wigan (where im from) and dont want to go back there ever!!!! Although I am a Bolton Wanderers fan, so I wouldnt mind going to the Reebok again,

Oliver Adams . For those that aren't familiar it's a bakers , like a Greggs for the middle classes . Me and the mrs were talking about the quality and variety of fresh filled rolls available , as opposed to pies , sausage rolls and ' parsties '

Archived