Fremantle to be cruising hotspot

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

Fremantle has been identified as one of the world's cruising hotspots of the future, with passenger growth expected to add more than $30 million to the local economy over the next two years.

Leading cruise line Princess Cruises yesterday launched an expanded service from Fremantle over the next two years - including a full year of cruises in 2015-16 - in a move described by the line's vice-president (Australia and New Zealand) Stuart Allison as recognition of the untapped potential of the WA market.

According to the Cruise Line Industry Association, 833,348 Australians went on a cruise last year - the equivalent of about 3.6 per cent of the population.

But in WA, the participation rate was only 2.7 per cent (67,501 passengers).

"That's why see we so much potential for growth in the WA market," Mr Allison said aboard the 2000-guest superliner Sea Princess in Fremantle yesterday.

"We strongly believe cruising is about to surge in WA.

"Australia's record passenger numbers in 2013 cap off a decade featuring a staggering annual growth rate of 20 per cent.

"Clearly, Australian holidaymakers love cruising and we think that WA is part of the future growth story for the industry."

Princess Cruises has based a ship in Fremantle every winter since 2008 and will expand its presence to 12 months next year, including its first summer season of roundtrip cruises from WA.

The move will more than triple the number of cruise passengers sailing from WA and inject more than $30 million in to the local economy.:cool:

Guest Guest66881

Love freo we do, so varied and busy yet friendly and so much to see and do, great place.

Yeah over to Vanuatu and onward to Hawaii would be awesome.

Cook Islands and Fiji wouldn't be bad stops either

Looks like anywhere so long as it is not near Freo then!

There's so much WA/Perth bashing on here I thought I would give it a go for a thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally for me it doesn't get better than driving through Freo every morning at 7.45 as I take my little one to school and we see the ships lining up to dock, be it the massive container ships or the cruise ships, it gives me such a great feeling, makes me feel very lucky and makes my day, every single day!

Hey, nothing wrong with Freo, its an an ace place, love spending time there. It's got it all.

a lovely cafe strip, shopping, street entertainers, markets, pubs, nightclubs, beaches, live music.

so what if people want to cruise in their cars, just the same as puerto banus in Spain and loads of other places.

it makes it.

The place has a charm, its unlike anywhere else in Perth .

Go Freo

Always so much WA bashing! Seems such a shame I am migrating to Freo in a few weeks and my stuff is getting shipped tomorrow..... Maybe I'll cancel my visa and not be surfing the Cott and Margaret River..... Sacasm intended!

Usually around Australia, part of a world voyage or in the case of former Athena and present Astor, they use it as a home port for trips down to Albany, to Adelaide or up to Bali stopping off at Broome and possibly Geraldton en route.

In my time in WA, there was a cruise/cargo ship from Freeo to Derby to Singers and back, "MV Centaur", that was in the 60s.

http://bob.plord.net/Ships/MS-4/GreatBritain/Centaur.html

Cheers, Bobj.

In my time in WA, there was a cruise/cargo ship from Freeo to Derby to Singers and back, "MV Centaur", that was in the 60s.

http://bob.plord.net/Ships/MS-4/GreatBritain/Centaur.html

Cheers, Bobj.

I knew the Centaur very well. An old Bluey. (Blue Funnel Line) Boarded her in Penang once when a family member used to do the trip regularly. The vessel was still plying that route until well in the late seventies before being taken over by Chinese concerns if memory serves me right. Fremantle had some cheap options in days past to cruise/fly UK on the Singapore company PIL, Kota Bali was one and not forgetting the Soviet vessels that done the same thing.

Besides that berths could be had on the State Shipping Service K vessels, Kangaroo, Koolama and Kalbarri. Think the D vessels were only cargo. Sadly options far more limited these days. At the same time Fremantle Port was receiving the migrant vessels of UK, Italian and Greek registration.

Always so much WA bashing! Seems such a shame I am migrating to Freo in a few weeks and my stuff is getting shipped tomorrow..... Maybe I'll cancel my visa and not be surfing the Cott and Margaret River..... Sacasm intended!

I don't detect that. What I do detect in everyday life is that locals are increasingly bringing up issues of concern though, brought about by very rapid changes brought on by the so called mining boom, that are of concern.

Personally for me it doesn't get better than driving through Freo every morning at 7.45 as I take my little one to school and we see the ships lining up to dock, be it the massive container ships or the cruise ships, it gives me such a great feeling, makes me feel very lucky and makes my day, every single day!

Although the docks are a shadow of former times. I agree great to see the large car carriers that dominate city side of harbour and the sheep carriers and container vessels on the other. I do detect less shipping than last year though which suggests a downturn is building.

i'd rather cruise round the pacific islands this side :wink:

Astor leaving Freo in March to cruise to London via Indian ocean Islands over to South Africa, up the West African coast stopping in many rarely visited counties, through The Suez to Portugal and on to France would be a great trip for those with the time.

Personally prefer smaller vessels to large floating cities.

We cruised out of Freo a year or so back. Freo is a beaut place, and we will go back there. Met up with some friends from back in Wales there, and had a nice meal down on Fishermans Wharf. Stayed at a lovely apartment close to the cruise terminal, and an easy walk to the town.

The cruise was the widest one we have been on, with people getting put off at every port we stopped at between Freo and Singapore for infringing the ships rules.

I knew the Centaur very well. An old Bluey. (Blue Funnel Line) Boarded her in Penang once when a family member used to do the trip regularly. The vessel was still plying that route until well in the late seventies before being taken over by Chinese concerns if memory serves me right. Fremantle had some cheap options in days past to cruise/fly UK on the Singapore company PIL, Kota Bali was one and not forgetting the Soviet vessels that done the same thing.

Besides that berths could be had on the State Shipping Service K vessels, Kangaroo, Koolama and Kalbarri. Think the D vessels were only cargo. Sadly options far more limited these days. At the same time Fremantle Port was receiving the migrant vessels of UK, Italian and Greek registration.

Aah, the good old State Ships, flat bottomed so they could sit on the sand at the old Broome jetty. Have 'scratched the Kabbarli's bum'... Every time a State Ship docked at Wyndham, the "wharfies" would go on strike so the ship would be in port for the weekend and the "wharfies" would get penalty rates...Good memories, mate. Thank you.

Cheers, Bobj.

Just remembered...The state Ships docking times were always advertised on ABC radio (no tv in those days in the backblocks of WA) and the announcers always addressed the Kabbarli as cubberly.

Cheers, Bobj.

Gee! do you and Bobj remember the Ark too:wink:

Archived