Parent Visa

Hi all. I wonder if you can give me some answers. My sister and I both moved to Australia a while ago (4-6 years) as permanent residents. We have been wanting my aged parents to move over here from South Africa. They have been trying to sell their house for about 4 years and have finally found a buyer. So we were all set to go to get them here on the 804 visa and today I am absolutely devastated to hear that it has been cancelled. They were due to come over in September. So back to the drawing board. I think the only option is the expensive visa. So my questions are as follows:

1. If they come over on a holiday visa and have no conditions on their visa they can apply when here on holiday. How much money is needed on application, when is the assurance of support needed and how much is the final payment?

2. Any idea how much medicals and please clearance cost?

3. How long is the parent visa taking to process?

4. Can they work once they lodge the application and go onto a bridging visa?

5. Do they get medicare as soon they lodge the application and go onto a bridging visa or is it only once the parent visa is granted?

Sorry for all the questions, I have just found it really hard to find these answers on the immi website.

Thanks for your time!

Hi, Whilst I cannot be 100% sure, it is my understanding that most South African tourist visa's (as South Africa is deemed 'high risk'- I suppose as most people would come here and try to stay - as I am sure you would know why) will have the 8503 no further stay condition attached to it. This would mean that possibly the only visa option available for them would be the contributory parent visa. We want to bring my parents over from SA and from our own research (not yet contacted an agent - as we are not ready to proceed yet), that is the only option.

I suggest you contact ABA - Andre Burger and Associates - Andre is South African so he may be able to provide you with more specific information.

Assuming they do not have a 'no further stay' condition imposed on their visa and apply onshore then:

1. The charges are here http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Pages/fees-charges/visa.aspx The big one you need to worry about is the second VAC which is $43,600 per person. The AOS is required towards the end of the process after the medicals and police checks are accepted and then the second VAC is requested.

2. Not sure how much medical are in Oz. You can find a list of panel doctors here and maybe ring them: https://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/panel-doctors/ For police checks you will need to investigate via the relevant authority in SA.

3. The offshore visa is currently taking around 20 months, the onshore version less I believe but not sure - maybe someone else can answer.

4. The bridging visa will have the same conditions as their original visa, so if this was a tourist visa then, no they will not be able to work.

5. They will not get full Medicare while on a bridging visa and they will only have limited rights to Medicare if SA has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia. Once the visa is granted they will get Medicare rights.

I am also really confused between the differences of the 143, 173 and the 864. In an ideal world, my parents would like to apply for the visa whilst in Australia and they would like the processing time of the visa to be as long as possible to enable us to get the funds together to pay for it... any advice would be fantastic?

Just to clarify the difference between the visas:

The 173 and the 143 are both offshore visas, ie your parents need to be offshore when the visa is granted. This is not to say that they can't visit Australia while waiting for the visa, but they need to keep their case officer informed so that the visa is not granted while they are in Australia. They could go elsewhere for a holiday. Going for the 173 first allows them to split the cost of the visa, as they pay roughly half the big VAC and no AOS for the 173. The can lawfully reside in Australia for 2 years (or stay in SA) and need to apply for the 143 before the 2 years are up. They then pay the rest of the big VAC and the AOS.

The 864 can be applied for onshore and your parents will be given a bridging visa to allow them to stay in Australia till their visa is granted. Applicants need to be over 65 to do this. The 864 has a quicker processing time, although not sure what it is.

Maybe the 173 to 143 route would be the way to go if funds are a problem, although it does cost slightly more in the long run as you pay the charge which is in force at the time of application and this goes up every year.

Not sure if you are aware of this thread on here

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/77756-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread.html

Bridgeman - I know you mentioned that the 143 and 173 had to be granted whilst out the country but could the 143 or 173 be applied for in Australia whilst they are here on a holiday visa and then they would go on a bridging visa whilst they wait? My understanding from the immi website is that you can with a 143 but not a 173 (is that correct)?

Bridgeman - I know you mentioned that the 143 and 173 had to be granted whilst out the country but could the 143 or 173 be applied for in Australia whilst they are here on a holiday visa and then they would go on a bridging visa whilst they wait? My understanding from the immi website is that you can with a 143 but not a 173 (is that correct)?

No, the 173 and 143 are both offshore visas, which mean although they can be applied for onshore, they cannot be granted onshore and it also means that no bridging visa would be available. If they qualify now, they might as well apply now, rather than wait until a holiday.

Not quite if they are in Australia on a 173 they will get a bridging visa if they apply for the 143 before it expires. Nit sure if they still have to leave for the grant though, I thought that requirement had been removed in this case.

Thanks Alan for the link to your blog... most informative. One question, with regards to the 864 and 884 please confirm that they can be applied for when in Australia on holiday and then they would go onto a bridging visa and wait out until the visa is processed? Could you confirm roughly the processing times for these two visas? Thanks

Thanks Alan for the link to your blog... most informative. One question, with regards to the 864 and 884 please confirm that they can be applied for when in Australia on holiday and then they would go onto a bridging visa and wait out until the visa is processed? Could you confirm roughly the processing times for these two visas? Thanks

> Yes, applicants can - and in fact must - be in Australia when applying for an 864 or an 884 visa.

> These visas provide a Bridging Visa, which comes into effect when the last visa used to enter Australia expires.

> We have seen these visas progressing quickly in recent times. For example, an 864 application that was lodged at the end of May (some 6 weeks ago) has already progressed to a request for medical examinations and the Assurance of Support. This isn't to say of course that such a quick timeline will continue.

Best regards.

Oh my word that's frightening - we would need time to get together the exorbitant fees....maybe we can request the visa application to take longer:eek:What about the 884 - would that take longer? Do you have to prove that you have the full funds available at time of lodgement for any of the parent visas?

If you need time to gather funds I'd be going for the subclass 143 - or 2 step 173 to 143 onshore - visa option.

The timeline for these visas is closer to 20 to 24 months, which would allow you time to get funds together.

Applicants for these visas can spend time in Australia on a longer stay tourist visa for the majority of the visa application processing time.

Best regards.

Hi all. I wonder if you can give me some answers. My sister and I both moved to Australia a while ago (4-6 years) as permanent residents. We have been wanting my aged parents to move over here from South Africa. They have been trying to sell their house for about 4 years and have finally found a buyer. So we were all set to go to get them here on the 804 visa and today I am absolutely devastated to hear that it has been cancelled. They were due to come over in September. So back to the drawing board. I think the only option is the expensive visa. So my questions are as follows:

1. If they come over on a holiday visa and have no conditions on their visa they can apply when here on holiday. How much money is needed on application, when is the assurance of support needed and how much is the final payment?

2. Any idea how much medicals and please clearance cost?

3. How long is the parent visa taking to process?

4. Can they work once they lodge the application and go onto a bridging visa?

5. Do they get medicare as soon they lodge the application and go onto a bridging visa or is it only once the parent visa is granted?

Sorry for all the questions, I have just found it really hard to find these answers on the immi website.

Thanks for your time!

Rake up $120k to cover visa application charges (visitor and parent) bonds, travel, medicals and so on.

If a visitor visa is granted and has 'no further stay' condition imposed, it does not have to be used.

Do not rely on information published on the 'immigration website' or in immigration publications.

For a detailed assessment of possible visa strategies and a paymnent schedule, may I suggest you consult a registered migration agent?

Any of the RMAs who regulary post on this forum would be able to put you on the right track.

Alan, I wonder if you can answer a couple more questions for me...

Do you know the current processing times for the 173 and 889?

At what stage in these visa applications would the 2nd VAC need to be paid?

Are medicals and police clearance required for both the temp & perm visas (so they would have to do 2 if they went the split route)?

If they applied for the 173 or 143 from South Africa and then came over here on a 12 month holiday visa - what happens if the 173/143 have not been granted by the time the holiday visa expires?

Sorry about all the questions but my mind is boggled with trying to choose the right path for them since the 804 was binned!

Alan, I wonder if you can answer a couple more questions for me...

Do you know the current processing times for the 173 and 889?

At what stage in these visa applications would the 2nd VAC need to be paid?

Are medicals and police clearance required for both the temp & perm visas (so they would have to do 2 if they went the split route)?

If they applied for the 173 or 143 from South Africa and then came over here on a 12 month holiday visa - what happens if the 173/143 have not been granted by the time the holiday visa expires?

Sorry about all the questions but my mind is boggled with trying to choose the right path for them since the 804 was binned!

Maybe you can send a PM or email to me with your phone number?

We can then tee up a time and a date for a chat.

It is probably a better way to discuss your questions.

Best regards.

Archived