Tradies needed in UK

Petals

Watching Sky UK today and they were saying that there is a severe shortage of workers in the building industry and house builds are not keeping up with demand. Food for thought for anyone going home or tooing and froing about migration.

i know a couple of chippies in the uk, one of them is out of work, the other travels from portsmouth to london to live in shared digs earning the same money he was making in portsmouth back in the day.

so as much as i'd love to be wrong, this seems to be bullshit. i guess sky are trying to energise the industry, it hasn't happened yet though!

My friends in Suffolk saying it's picked up a bit. They felt it very bad up until last year when it turned around a bit for them. The money still is not good enough for them though. London and outskirts where I still expect the money to be made is.

My friends in Suffolk saying it's picked up a bit. They felt it very bad up until last year when it turned around a bit for them. The money still is not good enough for them though. London and outskirts where I still expect the money to be made is.

Well yes. At the moment the economic salvation of the nation is being lived through a housing boom. How long do you think that will last? An interest rate rise will cut that stone dead.

I don't think there's much chance of an interest rate rise for a year or two yet. They daren't fiddle with interest rates while the economy is still in the doldrums.

I heard on the news this morning that the US GDP fell by 2.9% last quarter, taking economists by surprise. Response from the government was "the recovery is still on track" do politicians think people are stupid?

I don't think there's much chance of an interest rate rise for a year or two yet. They daren't fiddle with interest rates while the economy is still in the doldrums.

I heard on the news this morning that the US GDP fell by 2.9% last quarter, taking economists by surprise. Response from the government was "the recovery is still on track" do politicians think people are stupid?

Fact being no body knows. The RBA and governments have made something of a pigs ear of housing in Australia. So many diverging views that folk are kept constantly confused.

What they were saying was nothing to do with values of the houses, it was all about building new low cost houses as there is such a chronic shortage of affordable housing. So entrepreneurs are not in their sights, in fact if they build lots and lots of new affordable housing it may cool the market which is a good thing

i know a couple of chippies in the uk, one of them is out of work, the other travels from portsmouth to london to live in shared digs earning the same money he was making in portsmouth back in the day.

so as much as i'd love to be wrong, this seems to be bullshit. i guess sky are trying to energise the industry, it hasn't happened yet though!

Definite crap, at least where I live (in the Portsmouth area). My dad works in the building/sparky trade and him and his boss struggle too.

It's great talking about building new low cost housing but isn't the UK running out of places to build on? When we were back there last year there was a petition floating around Glossop as some developer wanted to start building in the peak district National Park.

Archived