First Tax Return Since Moving to Oz

Rose Fuller

Hi - we moved out to Australia in December, My husband started work self employed in January. I started work in March with a PAYG tax being taken from my wages. Are we better to do a joint tax return as a couple or separate? We were thinking of getting a local accountant to do it for us. Is there anything we need to take into account/consider. I must say I find it strange you have to do a tax return when you are taxed PAYG!!!

It's a similar system to the USA. You should be eligible to a tax return as you have been paying tax on the assumption that you have been paid at that salary level for the full year instead of half. You will find that tax return companies will set up in the shopping centres over the next month or so and you can have a chat with one of them.

You can claim certain things back against your tax and often get a rebate. This depends on your job though, and you do need receipts if it's over $300. For example, I work outdoors. I can claim sun lotion, sunglasses, rain costs, wellies, steel toe capped boots etc. You only get the tax paid on these items back, but still. You can also claim some laundry costs if you have to wear branded work clothes.

Get some help from an accountant. PAYG tax return does seem a little silly - but it is big business over here, and seasoned Ozzies are experts at claiming for things you wouldn't necessarily know about. You haven't worked a full tax year so will probably get a rebate. Quicktax etc are good and don't charge too much.

If you have uncomplicated tax affairs and work in a fairly standard 9 to 5 office job there is no need to use a tax accountant and very little you can validly claim for (there are people working in offices that do claim for things but really there isn't that much). The e-tax system the ATO has is pretty easy to use and explains most things. Have a bit of a read on the ATO website about tax and the tax return and see what you think. If you are self employed or a trades person and/or not confident about the tax system then it can't hurt to get some advice.

Hi Rose.

For year 1 maybe instruct a registered tax agent to assist - and then see how you feel when it is time to prepare the 2015 returns?

Best regards.

Can you do joint tax returns here or is it individual just listing your partner?

Hi Rose.

For year 1 maybe instruct a registered tax agent to assist - and then see how you feel when it is time to prepare the 2015 returns?

Best regards.

Totally agree with this, we were told to do the same the first year here and i have no regrets, we didnt realise you could claim for half the things our account did and to top it off the fee we paid the her to do ,is able to be claimed back the following year.

Cal x

Totally agree with this, we were told to do the same the first year here and i have no regrets, we didnt realise you could claim for half the things our account did and to top it off the fee we paid the her to do ,is able to be claimed back the following year.

Cal x

Yes, I should have added (most remiss of me!): a fee paid to a registered tax agent for the management of your tax affairs is a tax deductible cost:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/Deductions-you-can-claim/Other-deductions/Cost-of-managing-tax-affairs/

Best regards.

I do mine every year via e-tax. I am an accountant so would expect to be able to do so but from what I have seen of it as long as you have straightforward tax affairs then you should be okay. Just take your time and don't leave it until last minute.

One extra point: if you appoint a registered tax agent you will usually get extra time to lodge the return with the Tax Office.

The personal tax return lodgement deadline for those who are not on the lodgement program of a registered tax agent is usually the 31st of October following the end of the tax year. Clients of registered tax agents/clients of ours usually have until mid-May (ie 10 1/2 months following the end of the tax year) to lodge the tax return - but you should be on the agent's lodgement program by 31st October to secure this extension of time, and the tax affairs for previous years should also be up to date.

Best regards.

Even if you have a 9-5 job you can claim for small office items. I did a wireless keyboard and mouse, flash drive, bin etc. I work a few days a month from home so I claim a for electricity, internet/phone 10% of the bill and virus software and last year I used most of the $300 allowance on a possum fur lined leather iPad sleeve without any trouble.

Even if you have a 9-5 job you can claim for small office items. I did a wireless keyboard and mouse, flash drive, bin etc. I work a few days a month from home so I claim a for electricity, internet/phone 10% of the bill and virus software and last year I used most of the $300 allowance on a possum fur lined leather iPad sleeve without any trouble.

You can only claim for those if you have to buy them. Most work places supply keyboards, bins etc.

• 3 weeks later...

We moved here in November. We both claimed a refund on our PAYE tax contributions in the UK. My wife worked from Nov in the 13/14 tax year and I worked from March, both on PAYE and both paying tax at the rate as though we had worked the full year.

How does the money we earned in the UK during the last AU financial year affect any potential rebate ? I was hoping that I may be able to claim the majority of my tax back as I had only earned three months wages over here but i'm aware that this may not be the case !

Anyone have any idea ?

Archived