4 Months Left on UK Passport

Mark 1234

Quick question: I have PR and the UK has a massive backlog in issuing new passports. If my airline and subsequent airports are OK with a 4-month expiry date, will there be problems in Australia. I will then renew from there. I've read on here that there is no 6-month limit in Oz. Just wondered if that had changed.

Best

It was alot more expensive to do it from Australia but the price had came down recently. Plus it would be advisable to fast track a passport application if doing it before you go. I have had major issues with passport office over last week with daughters passport took them a week to call me back to see if I could upgrade the application which cost more than the initial application.

As you have a valid visa you should not have issues with 4 months left. If you do renew before you go I would do it now, plus you will need to inform DIBP with new passport no - fill in form 929.

I would fast track it before you go, after the experience we just had. It's no fun being without a passport, and we ended up paying 2x$54 courier fee to send the form plus old passport when requested (don't try keeping hold of your old passport due to 'exceptional circumstances', they WILL insist you send it!)

Thanks for the replies. The newspapers are saying today that some people have waited 6 months for new passports. The problem is I'm heading back to Oz in 3 months, but I'll only be there for 6 months. I think I'll fast track.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2655619/What-passport-crisis-As-angry-families-face-ruined-summer-holidays-six-month-delays-extra-staff-drafted-Cameron-insists-situation-control.html

I dont really understand the details of what has happened today, but apparantly those applying from overseas will instead be given an immediate 12 month extension to their current passport, if applying for a childs passport, will be given emergency travel documents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27806441

I have no idea how this would work in practice. Imagine rocking up to immigration in e.g. Vietnam (who are lovely but don't always have great English language skills) and explaining that although your passport says it expired last week, in fact it is valid for another 12 months. And that's if you've managed to blag your way onto the plane to Vietnam in the first place.

Archived