457 to PR while changing job - is it possible how?

Hello all,

I am currently on a 457 visa. My visa runs out June 2017 - in short 3 years left.

I was planning on a PR so i submitted my papers to ACS for skillselect. My skills are approved by ACS and my skill is on SOL list.

I got another job offer from another company with higher pay. I have yet to accept that offer. Question is

- Can I ask my new company to sponsor me for 186 visa - direct entry?

- if the new company does go with it.. What happens in general once I lodge the 186. E.g I get to complete my 30 day notices with my current employer under 457?

- what happens after I have completed 30 days and the decision for 186 is not yet made?

Have any of you done this before? Kindly tell me how things works out...

Maybe its better to stick with a 457 transfer which seems straightforward..

Many thanks for your help.

Someone who knows for certain will come along soon to answer properly. I would say though that it may be easier to do the 457 transfer then you or your new employer are not pushed for time to get everything sorted for the 186.

Can I ask my new company to sponsor me for 186 visa - direct entry?

You can ask, but the processing tends to take longer so they may not be willing to go that path.

- if the new company does go with it.. What happens in general once I lodge the 186. E.g I get to complete my 30 day notices with my current employer under 457?

The two are unrelated. Until the 186 is granted, you have to comply with your 457 visa which means only working for a nominating employer in the nominated occupation.

- what happens after I have completed 30 days and the decision for 186 is not yet made?

You'd be unemployed and potentially waiting for 90 days for your 457 to be cancelled leaving you without a visa.

Maybe its better to stick with a 457 transfer which seems straightforward.

Yes, this would probably be the easiest route. You can still look at an independent PR but at least you have a visa in the meantime that lets to remain and work in Australia.

If you lodge a 'direct entry' application and then change employers during processing, you are in strife.

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent to develop a strategy?

Thanks for your suggestion. Like last time I am guessing the new company will most likely employ migration agent for the processing.

I haven't planned or filed for any PR visa.

My question is more if 186 worth pursuing via ENS route based on my current situation? Like the other gentlemen pointed out about the time issue.

Other Thoughts?

Cheers

Can I ask my new company to sponsor me for 186 visa - direct entry?

You can ask, but the processing tends to take longer so they may not be willing to go that path.

The two are unrelated. Until the 186 is granted, you have to comply with your 457 visa which means only working for a nominating employer in the nominated occupation.

You'd be unemployed and potentially waiting for 90 days for your 457 to be cancelled leaving you without a visa.

Maybe its better to stick with a 457 transfer which seems straightforward.

Yes, this would probably be the easiest route. You can still look at an independent PR but at least you have a visa in the meantime that lets to remain and work in Australia.

Thank You very much this is what I wanted to know. Do you know what's the 186 timeline is now a days?

Many thanks

Archived