Moving back - how to go about it??

kate25

We are looking at moving back to the UK ASAP. I'm 4months pregnant with my second bub, my first is 15m.

We have three cars, two of which are up for sale but no interest so far. We have just $3000 in savings. We have two dogs that we are bringing home with us, costing $5,500.

We are shipping some stuff but majority we need to sell. But we can't sell most as use it every day.

We are renting so need to give notice.

When do we sell stuff, what if it doesn't sell, how do we work out dates, are we going to have to go separately? It's so much more complicated with a baby!

Hoping as outsiders you can clear this mess in my head :)

If it doesn't sell you will end up selling it for next to nothing . If there's no interest in ya cars probably look at reducing them depending on how soon you want to go . You have to give notice of 30 days hoping someone takes on the lease , or you are still liable until the end .

it is a option for one go before the other it's upto you not sure about out else good luck .

Selling stuff with a timeframe in mind is horrible. Cars are the worst imho.

For us gumtree was the best source for buyers by far. We had two cars and we decided we would sell one of the two cars as soon as someone offered the right price. That happened quite quickly, so we had to carpool together for a while. We sold the last car 3 days in advance and we could bring it a day before leaving. They offered a price. I said that price is okay if they can pick it up on the day before we were leaving. Otherwise the price would be $200 more expensive as we would need to rent a car ourselves. They weren't too happy with that, but did it anyway. They made a small deposit.

We had two backups for the car:

- The best plan B was a friend who would be willing to sell our car when we left already. We filled out the vehicle transfer papers as far as we could.

- Plan C - "we buy any car" like websites. They give you a low price, but better than nothing.

Good luck!

Hi! I am going through this process right now. Admittedly, I have no kids and am not expecting, but we have 3 cats and a whole household of stuff...but we decided to go at the end of May and are aiming to fly the first week in July.

The first 2 things I did was contact JetPets and organise the cats, then called the movers to get a quote and organise a date. For flights, last minute can sometimes be cheaper than booking now, but get on skyscanner and do a comparison and put aside budget for those.

Re moving dates, our movers explained that many families choose to return in July and August so kids are ready to start school back in September. This makes it a busy period for them and they get booked up as do containers and spaces on ships (not sure exactly how true, but would make sense). If you are planning on doing the move in the next 2 months, I would get onto some movers now to try and secure a potential date.

You will need to be selling as much stuff as possible I would think? For me, Gumtree was crappo, I just got a load of scammers. In the end I put some things on Ebay, and the rest I advertised on various FB pages "buy & sell" in my local district(s). Yesterday, for example, I posted my car up for sale and within 2 hours the girl had driven away leaving me with the cash. You may have to offer a really generous price on your things if you want a quick sale. For example, I took $1k off the asking price of the car (which was already a good price) but I got a quick sale, and that was what I wanted. Also, if you can advertise anything through work networks that might help.

As for how do you choose the date, it depends if you have a job waiting for you or not. If not, choose what works for you, but once you put a date in the calendar it does seem to go faster! We chose cats date, movers date and then worked our way back from that and gave notice on our rental. It effectively gives me 4 weeks in which to sell as much stuff as I can, which is difficult, but not impossible. We have organised a council kerbside clean up for later in the month as a precaution and I'm afraid anything that hasn't sold will likely go there, or I will donate to charity.

If you are worried about being in an unfurnished house towards the end, try to find a holiday rental or serviced apartment now (or stay with friends) I find if you book them in advance the rates are often cheaper.

I'm sure you'll be fine! If it helps, draw up a weekly plan and put it on the wall - just looking at the dates helps focus and will help give you motivation too. Good luck!

If you want to go asap start planning and selling stuff now. Most importantly if you have a lease on a property be aware if you break the lease you will be liable for the rent until it's finished or someone else takes it on. The agent probably won't be to bothered trying to find someone either because they'll still be getting rent from you. Perhaps set a date that works in with the end of your lease if you have one if that's possible. If that's not a consideration just get selling and if everything sells before your departure a holiday rental may fill the gap. You could try posting the cars on here and Facebook buy,swap or sell sites in your area. be realistic on the price of the cars especially if you want a quick sale. Your dogs will need rabies shots i believe at least 21 days before departure perhaps working in with the dogs arrangements would help you decide. Good luck with it all.

Some great advice on here but one that a couple of people have mentioned that really stuck with me (and 3FatCats said also) is renting a furnished holiday let for a week or two. It means you can ship any stuff you want to take and give it a bit of a "head start" on you as it can take 12 weeks to get to the UK. It also gives you time to hold a garage sale at your rental home for all those last little bits (just box up anything remaining straight away and take it to charity), clean the house and hand the keys back. Check out Sevenseas "Move Cubes" for sending stuff back, it's a much cheaper option than the traditional containers if you aren't taking loads of furniture. http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/shipping/movecube?gclid=CjkKEQjwh7ucBRD9yY_fyZe398gBEiQAAoy4JHrMiLqPNETqMjtDT9rqWShk4l1DmLPqMR9d_5R00ejw_wcB We are getting the large one which is around $1800 but they have smaller ones for less.

Another option is to try and rent a furnished place NOW so that you can sell the stuff you are using day to day.

Gumtree has been good for us, but advertising on our local suburb's Facebook page has been great too - people can generally pick up quickly and don't want to mess you about as you'll probably see them around town LOL.

We are doing the move at the end of this year with two small kids and not a great deal of money so I know how stressful it is. We talked of going separately but decided against it as we think we'd be more use to each other (and the kids) together but I know lots of people send one person on ahead to secure a rental etc. while they keep working until the last minute and finalise things in Australia and it seems to work for them.

As for when to do things, I think maybe you just have to pick a date and then start booking pets and removalists and flights around it. It's amazing how motivating a set-in-stone deadline can be!

I've seen people selling a house worth of stuff as they leave to poms moving out. I've also seen a lot of moving overseas garage sales. Otherwise Gumtree. If stuff doesn't sell you can book a shared container to ship it, airfreight it, ask a friend to keep trying to sell it for you, give it to charity or send it to the tip. I didn't sell my stuff, I shipped early though and so had to 'camp' in my house for a few weeks.. We flew Emirates to get home so had 30kg of luggage allowance each and that was all we hung onto for the last few weeks. We organised to leave our rental the day before council clean up so anything left over went out on the nature strip, including those last pieces of furniture we didn't ship.

I suggest looking at when you rental contract allows you to give notice, cost up flights, talk to a travel agent and find out when airlines typically announce a sale and work out what you are going to do at the other end. We needed a holiday cottage in the Uk for a couple weeks so maybe avoiding high season here might be a consideration.

We also found that once we gave notice we had to deal with the open house viewings, so talk to your letting agent, if they are good you'll be able to chat without committing to giving notice. We were lucky, our agent loaned us a vacuum and a fridge for the last few weeks.

Sadly as to selling our car, had to let it go far too cheap.

I may have to have the baby here at this rate! But to be honest, a 26hour long haul flight with a newborn, toddler +\- man child sounds like my worst nightmare! Thanks for all the great advice everyone, it's given me a boost. I sold three wardrobes in 24hours ;) on a roll :) lol

Archived