Any tips when flying to Aus with a six month old?

Flake

Hi all, we are returning to Aus in the new year with a 6 month old, I wondered if anyone else has travelled to Aus with a 6 month old? Did you take a stop over? Do you have any advice? It's hard enough flying but I'm petrified with having the baby too!!

Thanks for your advice :-)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we flew to Adelaide (from London) in 2012 our daughter was a little bit older (almost 8 months) and it was difficult but hopefully your little one sleeps well as the majority of the flights will be them sleeping.

We found leaving at night really threw her sleep routine off as the flight was a late one (around 10pm) and of course they dont turn the lights off for an hour or more after takeoff so she was absolutely exhausted but refused to sleep as she was so excited and intrigued with all the people and new environment. Once she finally did fall asleep she didnt want to sleep in the bouncer they had set up (what BA refer to as their cots is really just a bouncer attached to a fold down table) and really it wouldnt have mattered if she did or not as you have to take the child out if you hit turbulence or the seat belt sign comes on. I would therefore not recommend BA if you can avoid it (also, if the table is down and the child is in the restraint you cannot watch your console as it doesnt come up properly but hits the table. The same with your tray table for serving/receiving meals/drinks etc). So our daughter slept on either my partner or myself for pretty much the whole 12 hour first leg to Singapore/Changi and that was rough as neither one of us could move properly.

We had about 4/5 hour stopover in Changi and they have child prams which are pretty basic but also good - the seat reclines and there is room underneath for your carry on. We got one almost immediately and our daughter spent a lot of time in that (even had a short nap). The child area in Changi wasnt fantastic and we had a hard time finding a spot for all three of us to sit and unwind and let our daughter out to crawl which wasnt dirty, but we just had to suck it up and let her roam otherwise she would have gone mad.

The second leg from Changi to Adelaide was better as there was a proper skycot in the Qantas plane and its like a bassinet. Our daughter loved it and we sat her in there after takeoff and let her play with her toys and stare at all the people.

As for toys we bought a few on the plane that we knew would keep her distracted - a mirror, her squeaky toys, a few links to chew on, a shaker/rattle, a book, her blankie/taggie, my iPhone (!). We got a few jars of food from both airlines but I had bought stuff with me that I knew she would eat so just fed her that (and make sure to ask for boiled water for the bottles as soon as you get on the plane - gives it time to cool down but also so they dont run out towards the end of the flight).

Its hard to know what your little one is going to be like as the environment is so foreign to them that it is intriguing as well as scary. People will stare and make comments but you just have to learn to ignore them as provided you dont let your child scream there isnt much you can do to settle them that you arent already doing obviously. Sometimes the child is just going to be upset but then you may be surprised and she is perfectly behaved.

Its hard with a baby as you dont get the extra seat you do with a child so you (and your partner) have to learn to do everything with a baby on your lap - dinner is the worst time as you have to eat separately. Or if it isnt too expensive consider buying a second seat (a child seat is less expensive than an adult seat but you still get a normal sized seat whereas travelling with an infant you dont get any extra room).

Take off and landing were hard as our daughter wouldnt sit still on our lap so the child restraint that goes around them kept falling off and the attendants were constantly reprimanding us - really like we could have done any better than we already were! But I understand it is their job, although its not always as simple as they think it is.

My partner changed our daughters nappy on board both flights (THANK GOODNESS AND FOR WHICH I AM ETERNALLY GRATEFUL TO HIM) and he said it wasnt too bad, just a little squishy. But remember to take quite a few nappies as well as changes of clothes for you, your partner and your baby (probably back a good three outfits for bubs just to be safe), although baby doesnt need to wear anything fancy. We had our daughter in a vest and short leggings on the way out it was sooooo hot and then on the return journey we had her in a onesie and vest. Just keep baby comfortable and in easy layers as sometimes the air con can get cold but it can also not work (like it did on our outbound journey when London was having 30+ weather for a few weeks - nasty!) so you need to think of all circumstances. Pack a blanket for them as well as the airline ones arent that nice and they dont give you a baby one from memory. Plus I am sure bubs would like to have his/her own blanket for comfort.

I think if you just resign yourself to realising that its not going to be perfect and it will be difficult but you will be able to handle it, you will be ok. You can prepare for everything but then something will happen you totally didnt expect or on the flip side, you have worried for nothing and your little one is well behaved and a gem.

Good luck when you do fly - just try to get on the good side of the air stewards so they ohhh and ahhhh over your baby and give you a few minutes break here and there while they have cuddles and dont stress (anymore than you probably already will be) as its only for approx 25 hours and the day will end and you probably wont see any of those other people on the flight with you ever again so who cares what they think!

:)

Whilst not as open to bribery as older kiddies travelling with a 6m old baby was not so bad for us, thankfully our little miss was in a good mood on our flying days. I flew from Heathrow to Sydney with my husband and solo on the return leg and it was actually one of the easier trips with kids I've done. Didn't go for the stop over as I felt that just delayed the inevitable jet lag adjustment and added in an additional layer of complexity (transport/feeding etc). Went with Emirates and they were brilliant - great that they have strollers in the airport for your plane changeover (we aimed to minimise this as there aren't many child facilities for young babies on their routes).

I was breastfeeding at the time so that made things easier for take off/landing and general settling on demand. Other friends who were bottle feeding just ordered the pre-packaged milks with screw top openings/disposable teats along with Ella's kitchen pouches to pick up at Boots on the international side of the airport to avoid the ridiculous 100ml limitations. You want to make sure that you have enough so that the little one is drinking/swallowing on takeoff/landing to counter the change in air pressure. I'd also advise teaching them to feed straight from the pouches if you can (I had a very fussy eater on my hands so bought our own food but had to pack extra as they can make you open them when going through security).

I popped my daughter in short/long sleepsuits for the flights and took her sleeping bag for the bassinet (you want to make sure that you book a bassinet/cot with the airline). The ipad was very helpful to entertain the wee one but they also love the inflight entertainment system (random button pressing etc). I also took the baby bjorn on board for walking around and decanted my essential stuff (breastfeeding apron, wipes, muslin, chewy toy) into a large zip lock bag for take off/landing since they won't let you have anything on the floor if you get the exit row. We did not take any squeaky/noisey toys lest we incur the wrath of fellow passengers and bought out a new (small) toy every few hours.

Here's hoping your little one will travel well.

I can't give you any advise for your baby but I too am dreading the flight with my daughters, who are 8 and 9. My youngest daughter is very friendly and seems to think that people are put on this earth for the sole purpose of entertaining her. Example, on the bus last week, she ran up the stairs to the top deck, stood a moment to take stock of the passengers, chose one, sat on the seat in front of this poor innocent lady and said "hello, my name's xx. What's your name? Where are you going? What are you doing?" etc., etc. Generally, people are quite amenable to a few minutes of conversation with a "chatty parrot" but 24 hours? OMG! She's already telling me that she hopes there are lots of babies on the plane for her to take of (she's got a real thing for babies) and my heart sinks. All I do know, is that she will no doubt leave that plane with either 400 new friends or lots of people that want to throttle her (and me!).

Be good if we were on the same flight :biglaugh:. She could entertain baby :wink:

Thank you so much, that is really so helpful, good to know airlines to avoid when traveling. I'm so nervous already! I will be very glad to have the flight over with!

Baby is due this November so at this stage, have no idea what their temperament will be like, I am praying for a sleeper! Lol

thanks again so much for your help and advice

Thank you so much, some really good tips, especially regarding the feeding. Got so many things to think about! Haven't had our baby yet but I'm already more nervous for the flight back to aus than anything else! Yikes

thanks so much again :-)

Just to let you know, the liquid limitations don't apply to baby food, my wife just flew longhaul with our 5 month old daughter and took the pre-made formula bottles, 200ml each and not a problem. They get a bit of extra scrutiny at security but nothing major. You get to jump the queue at security, and are first to board the plane.

Also, if you do fly with your bubs as an infant, in the bassinet, its very cheap. With emirates it cost us about £20 return for our daughter to go, she got 10kg checked baggage allowance, plus 7kg hand luggage, plus a pram / pushchair, also provided with food and drink on the flight - plus a gift bag including a teddy, blanket, teether and a few other bits.

Guest dannii28
Hi all, we are returning to Aus in the new year with a 6 month old, I wondered if anyone else has travelled to Aus with a 6 month old? Did you take a stop over? Do you have any advice? It's hard enough flying but I'm petrified with having the baby too!!

Thanks for your advice :-)

Hi,

we are returning to oz this october with our almost 3 year old. we have done short flights (5hrs) with him at 6 months then 18months and we where prepared to accept the looks off other people. i was all geared up to go for a walk and stop by any rude person who made a comment but thankfully no-one did! when he was 6months he travelled much better! everyone was so friendly and sympathetic towards us and he loved every mintue of the flight but we did have lots of family to help us out as we where flying abroad for our wedding hahaha

18months was harder trying to get him to sit on our knee for take off and landing but the rest of the flight was fine. we took some toys and books with us which where new so he was really interested in them and then the odd old (comfort) toy.

with regards to liquids yes you can take made up bottles of milk or even boiled water but we where asked to have a sip of each one. we called the airport beforhand and asked about bringing the ready made cartons and was told we would have to taste half of what we where bringing. so we doubled up only to be asked to taste all of them so they had to go in the bin as we couldnt store them in a fridge so this was very annoying but no major drama.

on our flight to oz we are going via abu dhabi and singapore. we have a friend who took this route with her daughter the same age and she said it was great. only 7 hr flights and enough time for little one to run round at the airport wear themselves out and then do it again.

good luck with everything and remember the flight will be over at some point :biglaugh:

Thank you, that's very good to know about the liquids, I will be so thankful to land after the flight, I will want to kiss the ground! Lol

after that we will be staying put for a VERY long time! :wink:

6 months should be a breeze - it's the 1-2 yrs that are tricky!

Many years ago I flew with mine at that age - once on my own and with a toddler in tow. More recently we've travelled with the grand kids as babies.

You should be good for a bassinette at that age and chances are the bub will sleep most of the way. I'm not a fan of stop overs, get it all over and done with in one hit and don't prolong the agony is my motto. Feed on take off and landing - helps equalise the ears and bub will be strapped to you with an extension strap at that point anyway - BF is obviously the easiest option at that point if you can!

Im also a firm believer in travelling as light as you can but take a change of light clothing for all of you in case you get spewed over. My other must have was a baby sling (but, then, I always used a sling and never owned a pram anyway) - get a good one like Ergobaby because there may be times when you need to walk the aisles with the bub and your arms drop off after a while if you don't have a sling.

It'll be fine! Just be calm and it will all fall into place! Your biggest issue may be jet lag - I found on one trip that DS had just got himself into a nice little sleeping routine and of course his body clock stuck with the routine longer than mine did in the new time zone. It was worse going East though, from memory

Just to let you know, the liquid limitations don't apply to baby food, my wife just flew longhaul with our 5 month old daughter and took the pre-made formula bottles, 200ml each and not a problem. They get a bit of extra scrutiny at security but nothing major. You get to jump the queue at security, and are first to board the plane.

Also, if you do fly with your bubs as an infant, in the bassinet, its very cheap. With emirates it cost us about £20 return for our daughter to go, she got 10kg checked baggage allowance, plus 7kg hand luggage, plus a pram / pushchair, also provided with food and drink on the flight - plus a gift bag including a teddy, blanket, teether and a few other bits.

wow that's very good value! Thanks for the info! It's hard to believe anything where long haul in concerned is so cheap! Brilliant! We always fly with emirates due to the extra baggage allowance and slightly more leg room than other airlines, ( at least it seems that way?!) so let's hope it's the same when we come to fly!

Thanks for the info :-)

6 months should be a breeze - it's the 1-2 yrs that are tricky!

Many years ago I flew with mine at that age - once on my own and with a toddler in tow. More recently we've travelled with the grand kids as babies.

You should be good for a bassinette at that age and chances are the bub will sleep most of the way. I'm not a fan of stop overs, get it all over and done with in one hit and don't prolong the agony is my motto. Feed on take off and landing - helps equalise the ears and bub will be strapped to you with an extension strap at that point anyway - BF is obviously the easiest option at that point if you can!

Im also a firm believer in travelling as light as you can but take a change of light clothing for all of you in case you get spewed over. My other must have was a baby sling (but, then, I always used a sling and never owned a pram anyway) - get a good one like Ergobaby because there may be times when you need to walk the aisles with the bub and your arms drop off after a while if you don't have a sling.

It'll be fine! Just be calm and it will all fall into place! Your biggest issue may be jet lag - I found on one trip that DS had just got himself into a nice little sleeping routine and of course his body clock stuck with the routine longer than mine did in the new time zone. It was worse going East though, from memory

thanks Quoll! That's amazingly brave to travel on your own with young ones, I am not that brave! Yes I think the jet lag will be a little difficult, I just can't wait to get back and settle in for their new routine! Luckily we are staying at my in-laws on arrival so will be very comfortable while we wait for our goods to arrive, find work and find a house! Eeeek and all before baby has turned 1! I will not be going anywhere for a VERY long time after that!

Please bring a pacifier for noisy kids and please use it as most selfish parents these days, seem to either refuse or cant be bothered to stop their screaming kids from keeping all the other passengers awake during the flight with the worst noise known to mankind..

Please bring a pacifier for noisy kids and please use it as most selfish parents these days, seem to either refuse or cant be bothered to stop their screaming kids from keeping all the other passengers awake during the flight with the worst noise known to mankind..

Can we assume you were a quiet baby then? but maybe a selfish cry baby now? let them be that's what babies do, buy yourself some good ear plugs head phones and a flying helmet!

Yuck! My kids never had dummies and I seriously doubt any parent wilfully allows their kids to cry. Kids cry, as, I'm sure, did you. Most parents I've seen on planes look absolutely mortified if their kids utter so much as a whimper. Now older kids and adults constantly kicking the chair backs is a whole other ball game!

You want a quiet flight - then pay to sit at the front of the plan. Simples.

so a pacifier stops a baby crying does it? I'll have to tell my daughter she's getting it all wrong. Lol

Honestly - if she's crying - cuddles and confirming her is what calms her down, not sticking a dummy in her mouth which she would refuse and actually get more upset.

anyway, unless your sitting in very close proximity you aren't likely to hear much at all, if anything.

I must admit I hate hearing children (of any age) cry and my immediate reaction is to comfort them, not to think "why can't the parents get a pacifier"! If there were crying babies on the plane with me, I would be more tempted to offer to walk the aisles with it to give the poor parents a break, not berate them for "allowing" it to happen.

I'm sure I do not know anyone who would ignore their child while in distress, particularly on a long haul flight!

As most people, when flying with an infant, that's the VERY thing they are wanting to avoid, so a little compassion wouldn't go amiss.

It is PUBLIC transport at the end of the day, so the choice is either to suck it up- or go first class.

It's funny how some people believe they are more important than others while traveling in the same cabin?!! Baffles me.

I'm sure I do not know anyone who would ignore their child while in distress, particularly on a long haul flight!

As most people, when flying with an infant, that's the VERY thing they are wanting to avoid, so a little compassion wouldn't go amiss.

It is PUBLIC transport at the end of the day, so the choice is either to suck it up- or go first class.

It's funny how some people believe they are more important than others while traveling in the same cabin?!! Baffles me.

I tell you what is funny..why SELFISH parents assume other passangers on the flight who dont have kids

want to listen to your screeching brats..What happened to consideration for others..There isnt any anymore thats what...Its the ME culture as long as Im okay thats all that matters, and your screeching brats will turn out the same way..selfish...Put a dummy in it, thats what parents always used to do when we used to live in a less selfish greed driven world..

so a pacifier stops a baby crying does it? I'll have to tell my daughter she's getting it all wrong. Lol

Honestly - if she's crying - cuddles and confirming her is what calms her down, not sticking a dummy in her mouth which she would refuse and actually get more upset.

anyway, unless your sitting in very close proximity you aren't likely to hear much at all, if anything.

I do sympathise with the parents with a crying baby on board as well as the passengers who have to put up with it. I think the parents should research on how to travel with babies, and do everything possible to make that baby calm on the flight. Bring dummies, playbooks, baby food, favourite toys, anything to keep the baby happy.

I do sympathise with the parents with a crying baby on board as well as the passengers who have to put up with it. I think the parents should research on how to travel with babies, and do everything possible to make that baby calm on the flight. Bring dummies, playbooks, baby food, favourite toys, anything to keep the baby happy.

Well we learn something new every day:swoon: suck eggs and grandma spring to mind

Archived