Looking to move North

ajcooper

Hi,

We're expats who've been living in Melbourne for the last 9 years. We're now looking to finally get the sunny lifestyle we moved down here for and are contemplating a move to Queensland. My wife is a teachers aide and I work in IT, but the reliance on me getting a job in IT isn't really high, I'll happily work at Bunnings if it means we get to be near the beach! The boys are 8 and 10 years old.

The two areas we're looking at are Sunshine Coast and Hervey Bay. Looking for any recommendations and info about both, including good areas to live etc. Like I said, proximity to the beach is a must!

Thanks

Aidan

• 2 weeks later...

Wherever you live in Hervey bay you're never more than 10 minutes drive from the beach at most and in many suburbs easily walkable in that time.

Work would be your issue though, relatively high unemployment here but if you can find permanent work its a fab place to bring up a family

Have you considered Perth? Just as good, if not better, climate and the beachside lifestyle is still obtainable. Might be better workwise too. Perth is still a fairly small City compared to the other capitals but is getting bigger all the time. We have been spoilt over the years but most people are only just realising how good we've had it now they have to wait at traffic lights for a couple of changes, pay for parking in the City and the trains are busy.:cool:

Have you considered Perth? Just as good, if not better, climate and the beachside lifestyle is still obtainable. Might be better workwise too. Perth is still a fairly small City compared to the other capitals but is getting bigger all the time. We have been spoilt over the years but most people are only just realising how good we've had it now they have to wait at traffic lights for a couple of changes, pay for parking in the City and the trains are busy.:cool:

How did you come to those conclusions Paul1Perth?, just so the op gets some experienced opinions. But as the OP wants info on Queensland then I believe that SE Queensland probably has the best year-round climate of all the capitol area's, for me that is, a check on the weather records will help the op find what best suits them on that one though. Hervey bay area has obtainable beachside lifestyle too, but as others have said work could be a little difficult to secure in that area.

Good luck on your move Aiden & Family

How did you come to those conclusions Paul1Perth?, just so the op gets some experienced opinions. But as the OP wants info on Queensland then I believe that SE Queensland probably has the best year-round climate of all the capitol area's, for me that is, a check on the weather records will help the op find what best suits them on that one though. Hervey bay area has obtainable beachside lifestyle too, but as others have said work could be a little difficult to secure in that area.

Good luck on your move Aiden & Family

Perth doesn't get anywhere near as much humidity as the Eastern States and I find it a lot more comfortable here. I've visited in the Eastern states a lot, at all times of the year and I find it pretty uncomfortable at times with the humidity. They seem to get a lot more rain and storms in Queensland too, more extremes I guess. Nothing wrong with the climate, would be a lot better than Melbourne if they are looking for a beach lifestyle whichever one they choose.

Hervey Bay is a great place to live, Despite what people say humidity is not a problem with the breezes coming of the ocean keeping the place warm and comfortable. Temperature at the moment is around 24c during the day and around 15 c at night. Your biggest problem would be finding suitable work here, unemployment is higher than average but if you can find employment prior to moving I cannot think of a better place to live.

Perth doesn't get anywhere near as much humidity as the Eastern States and I find it a lot more comfortable here. I've visited in the Eastern states a lot, at all times of the year and I find it pretty uncomfortable at times with the humidity. They seem to get a lot more rain and storms in Queensland too, more extremes I guess. Nothing wrong with the climate, would be a lot better than Melbourne if they are looking for a beach lifestyle whichever one they choose.

SE QLD beats Perth hands down for weather (if looking for sun) in 3 of the 4 seasons. Perth is probably nicer in the summer and thats it due to high humidity here at times.

Brisbane is still shorts and tshirt weather most of the day even in winter. The ocean is better to swim in for a larger part of the year. Perth is also windy and chilly in the cooler seasons.

Teachers aides must be lucrative then.

What combined income do you calculate you'll need to support yourselves.

It's not that teachers aides get paid well, its more that our living expenses will be lower if we moved from Melbourne (other financial baggage would not be coming with us!)

We had thought of Perth after a nice holiday there earlier in the year. It's hard to decide what to do at the moment, especially as a move back home is on the cards as well!

I see you still refer to UK as "home". Even Melbourne would be better than that wouldn't it?

I see you still refer to UK as "home". Even Melbourne would be better than that wouldn't it?

Funny how the "home" thing still slips in. Melbourne is good, but after all this time you realise that you haven't quite got the Aussie lifestyle you thought you'd get. We chose melbourne for work and it paid off, just now though we're feeling a bit tired of it.

Funny how the "home" thing still slips in. Melbourne is good, but after all this time you realise that you haven't quite got the Aussie lifestyle you thought you'd get. We chose melbourne for work and it paid off, just now though we're feeling a bit tired of it.

Yep, I've been to Melbourne and it's not what I considered a place where I could get the lifestyle I imagined before I came. I don't think I could settle there.

Archived