Shipping Engagement Ring ($15k) from Sydney to London

mattywarb

Hi,

I need to ship my fiancee's engagement ring from Sydney to London but finding it really difficult to find a courier that will insure it up to its full value (A$15,000).

Can anyone suggest/recommend a courier?

So far I've tried Auspost, Fedex, DHL and a couple of smaller ones (which I'm not that confident about...).

Many thanks!

Matty

You should probably check how the import duty would work on that too. You could have a hefty bill at the other end. I know 'gifts' you used to be able to import £38 duty free. It should be a little more now, but still, it's worth WAY more than that.

I can't recommend a courier, but as Blossom says it would be worth finding out whether you would have to pay duty/taxes. It might be worth contacting Customs in the UK before you send it to make sure, because I would imagine the bill for customs/duty and VAT on a $15000 ring would be significant! There is some information here that may help http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/sending.htm, I guess it depends entirely on the circumstances of you sending the ring.

Hi,

I need to ship my fiancee's engagement ring from Sydney to London but finding it really difficult to find a courier that will insure it up to its full value (A$15,000).

So far I've tried Auspost, Fedex, DHL and a couple of smaller ones (which I'm not that confident about...).

Many thanks!

Matty

I'm heading there in early July and would happily transport it for you Matty :)

Hi,

Many thanks!

Matty

What a peculiar thing to want to do .... why wouldn't you carry it or she wear it. I am trying to imagine a scenario in which someone would want to do this but I am drawing a blank. Put us out of our misery.

My scenario was that it had to be fixed, and then she needed to leave the country urgently while it was still at the jewellers. Lol.

I was imagining a long distance relationship and proposal over Skype!

Archived