Catch 22 - does the honeymoon period run out?

thelaurakate

Hi Ive just returned from a 5 week trip to the uk and am missing my family and friends loads. If it was a holiday it would have been easier to leave I think but I really settled back into Uk life. Its only after your away from England that when you return you really appreciate it. Im over here on my own and have a wonderful much healthier life but its really got me thinking if im doing the right thing. At the end of the day your family and friends are your life and although ive met some great new friends here its not the same as people you've grown up with. Also I feel so guilty because me, my mum and lil sis are so close they really both rely on me and ive just left them again. Also they would never move here ( my step days doesn't fly!)

I guess im wondering if anybody's done a stint here then returned back to the Uk and is still enjoying it? or do you regret it? Also long term I cant imagine having children etc in a different country to my mum.

We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful country but is it the right thing to do?

Im confused! any advice appreciated

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeh I see your point! think im going to get my PR first to always give myself the option to come back, thanks

Getting PR won't "always" give you the option to come back. The only thing that keeps the door open indefinitely is citizenship. PR kind of expires, not literally, but effectively if you are out of the country for a long time. If you are not sure about being here, can't imagine having children without your mum around then it is perfectly valid to choose to return. I can't see the point of spending all that money on a permanent visa if you don't think you want to live here.

I came on a working holiday visa in Oct 2010 then have been sponsored since 2011 but as I changed jobs my PR clock set back to 0 - I think? In feb I would have been with my current employer for 2 years. So I am trying to save up for PR now, I guess yeh I need Citizenship ...

I came on a working holiday visa in Oct 2010 then have been sponsored since 2011 but as I changed jobs my PR clock set back to 0 - I think? In feb I would have been with my current employer for 2 years. So I am trying to save up for PR now, I guess yeh I need Citizenship ...

You can't go from temporary visa to citizenship, you have to have a PR step in the middle. So if you want to keep that door open forever, you need to get a permanent visa, live in Australia on that for a year, then apply for and get citizenship. So quite a way to go yet.

so its a year after having PR that only then can I apply for citizenship? it is along time off! by then all my friends probably would have settled down - they are starting to already. But home is home ....

Yes you probably have a good two years before you could achieve citizenship. As I said, if you are really not sure that this is where you want to be, you have to question why you would bother. If you are really torn, then citizenship a great idea.

If your friends and family are more important than anything it does beg the question why did you leave in the first place ? However if its a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder then go for it and the very best of luck.

Bad break up and pretty much ran away! But after the recent trip back realised how England isn't all bad ( like the time it was when i left) anyway got lots of thinking to do! thanks

I'm still on honeymoon though it's been over 2 and a half years for me - eeek! Love it! And though, now, I can look at Australia and the prospect of a return without actually throwing up (yes, it was that bad at the beginning!) I am still not ready to return to Aus. Just as well, really, because my olds are still pottering painfully along. Moving back has given me a whole new lease of life, I've lost 50kg and am just so much happier and healthier than ever I was in Aus - I belong!

I'd suggest that if you do move on to UK (and, really, don't bother with citizenship unless you can see your future there) then move somewhere a bit new, you will never reclaim the life you once had.

good luck whichever way you jump!

I'm still on honeymoon though it's been over 2 and a half years for me - eeek! Love it! And though, now, I can look at Australia and the prospect of a return without actually throwing up (yes, it was that bad at the beginning!) I am still not ready to return to Aus. Just as well, really, because my olds are still pottering painfully along. Moving back has given me a whole new lease of life, I've lost 50kg and am just so much happier and healthier than ever I was in Aus - I belong!

I'd suggest that if you do move on to UK (and, really, don't bother with citizenship unless you can see your future there) then move somewhere a bit new, you will never reclaim the life you once had.

good luck whichever way you jump!

Thank you Quoll glad to hear you are doing so well, yeh my trip back just made me look at England differently and appreciate it all so much more! It is a real Catch 22 will see how I go, thanks

by then all my friends probably would have settled down - they are starting to already. But home is home ....

and what do you do when they do settle down? Or move away or emigrate themselves? What are you left with then?

and what do you do when they do settle down? Or move away or emigrate themselves? What are you left with then?

not everyone emigrates/moves away....

and true friends will still be friends when they settle down...well mine are anyway.

not everyone emigrates/moves away....

and true friends will still be friends when they settle down...well mine are anyway.

Absolutely agreed. But I think the OP made reference to going back to what she missed before it goes away..

Yeh I guess I had so much more of a connection with friends id know for years and grown up with ( obv) and although they will get lives of their own they will always be true friends, maybe I just haven't found my group of friends that are staying here yet.

Yeh I guess I had so much more of a connection with friends id know for years and grown up with ( obv) and although they will get lives of their own they will always be true friends, maybe I just haven't found my group of friends that are staying here yet.

IMHO, my friends in the UK are and always will be my friends. But I think how many of them have missed me so much in the last three years to visit? or to stay in regular contact? It isn't that many. If I moved back to the UK, sure I could slot right in - but ultimately I'm not that important to my happiness, nor mine theirs.

My mum is harder to reconcile however..

IMHO, my friends in the UK are and always will be my friends. But I think how many of them have missed me so much in the last three years to visit? or to stay in regular contact? It isn't that many. If I moved back to the UK, sure I could slot right in - but ultimately I'm not that important to my happiness, nor mine theirs.

My mum is harder to reconcile however..

That's the hardest my mum and I are so close, we Skype everyday! ( maybe abit much but I know she needs me) she is so supportive of me and I cant thank her enough but I know shed love me to go back. My best friend is planning on visiting next year - it was her wedding i went back for. How long have you been here?

Archived