Buying new stuff in Australia ,where to go ?

leajk

Hi Guys ,

We are at the stage of 'should we ship it or should we just buy new'

a lot of our stuff could do with an upgrade anyway so are thinking of saving on the shipping costs and selling everything .

we are trying to look at costs of things to buy in Australia . washing machine , fridge/freezer, bed ,sofa etc etc and was wondering if anyone knew of any good websites we could look at to gage prices. Is there an Australian version of Argos, Currys etc ? I Know there is an Ikea but they are very few and far between in Australia , its mainly electrical goods we will need to replace plus bed and sofas. I tried some websites but you had to contact them for prices ,

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jbhifi.com, they have good prices, Good products too.Also TheGoodguys.com. If your buying multiple items ask for the best price they can give you before committing. Have a browse through Big W website as well . Can pick up some weekly bargains.

Jbhifi.com, they have good prices, Good products too.Also TheGoodguys.com. If your buying multiple items ask for the best price they can give you before committing. Have a browse through Big W website as well . Can pick up some weekly bargains.

Thanks ,I will check them out

Just been on Harvey Norman again it seems that for sofas and beds I have to contact them for price .Don't really want to do that as I'm only trying to get a ball park figure .

slightly annoying , they must know how much they sell them for!

Will try the other sites mentioned

Thanks

Dont forget its quite unusual over here to pay the shelf price in places like Harvey Norman, Super A mart etc, haggling is considered the norm. When we moved we purchased a fridge freezer and washer from Retrovision Rt Edwards, and they threw the microwave and kettle in free of charge.

Cal x

Dont forget its quite unusual over here to pay the shelf price in places like Harvey Norman, Super A mart etc, haggling is considered the norm. When we moved we purchased a fridge freezer and washer from Retrovision Rt Edwards, and they threw the microwave and kettle in free of charge.

Cal x

That sounds like a plan

Also be aware that many stores don't have sofas in stock and order times can be many weeks. We were limited to ikea or floor stock ( display models) or limited choices as we needed one within two weeks

having said aid that we did get a real bargain.

I would highly recommend bringing over as much as you can, the shipping will be cheaper than the cost of goods here. If you do need to buy items here check out appliances online for the big electric items. Avoid Nick Scali for sofa's, we bought one at a premium price and have had nothing but trouble with it.

Oh and as someone else said in most stores the display price is not what you would pay, you need to negotiate. If you are going to buy multiple items this puts you in a very good position and don't be shy to haggle. If you are shy take a friend that isn't shy, you'd be amazed how much you can save.

There are also regular sales that take place, keen an eye out for these. They typically take place around public holidays, major holidays (Xmas, Easter, etc) and occassions such as mothers day.

A good idea is to find an item (white goods, ie fridge, washer) that you like online, http://www.appliancesonline.com.au is a good one, check that its in stock, and then check delivery charge by adding in your postcode, take a screen shot/print out with you to the store (saves time them having to check it!) showing stock availability (an item MUST be in stock to allow a price match) and delivery cost (if any, some are free!) and find somewhere to price match it on identical items! https://www.masters.com.au/kitchen-appliances will price match plus deduct 10% off the price!

A good idea is to find an item (white goods, ie fridge, washer) that you like online, http://www.appliancesonline.com.au is a good one, check that its in stock, and then check delivery charge by adding in your postcode, take a screen shot/print out with you to the store (saves time them having to check it!) showing stock availability (an item MUST be in stock to allow a price match) and delivery cost (if any, some are free!) and find somewhere to price match it on identical items! https://www.masters.com.au/kitchen-appliances will price match plus deduct 10% off the price!

Great tip, definitely look into that.

Thanks

I would highly recommend bringing over as much as you can, the shipping will be cheaper than the cost of goods here. If you do need to buy items here check out appliances online for the big electric items. Avoid Nick Scali for sofa's, we bought one at a premium price and have had nothing but trouble with it.

Oh and as someone else said in most stores the display price is not what you would pay, you need to negotiate. If you are going to buy multiple items this puts you in a very good position and don't be shy to haggle. If you are shy take a friend that isn't shy, you'd be amazed how much you can save.

There are also regular sales that take place, keen an eye out for these. They typically take place around public holidays, major holidays (Xmas, Easter, etc) and occassions such as mothers day.

We are taking our vw camper with us in a 20ft container so it only leaves us 250cu ft left .So either we drastically reduce our belongings only taking the stuff we cant live without or upgrading to a either a 40ft or shared container but the difference in cost / time delay of a shared out weighs the value of the extra goods. Most of our stuff could do with an upgrade anyway.

plus we plan to travel for the first year in our van so we have to include storage costs for our household goods on top of the shipping .

My head is starting to hurt with all the decisions

We are taking our vw camper with us in a 20ft container so it only leaves us 250cu ft left .So either we drastically reduce our belongings only taking the stuff we cant live without or upgrading to a either a 40ft or shared container but the difference in cost / time delay of a shared out weighs the value of the extra goods. Most of our stuff could do with an upgrade anyway.

plus we plan to travel for the first year in our van so we have to include storage costs for our household goods on top of the shipping .

My head is starting to hurt with all the decisions

Hi Leajk,

I am trying to convince my hubby that we need to take our vw camper but he's still undecided thinking it will cost too much and maybe be damaged. Are you wiling to share the quote you have for shipping the camper? We have a 1979 T2 which we fully, lovingly restored and I don't think we will be able to replace it for the amount we can sell it for, plus we know the van inside out. Like you say, it can be used for holidays etc!

Hi Leajk,

I am trying to convince my hubby that we need to take our vw camper but he's still undecided thinking it will cost too much and maybe be damaged. Are you wiling to share the quote you have for shipping the camper? We have a 1979 T2 which we fully, lovingly restored and I don't think we will be able to replace it for the amount we can sell it for, plus we know the van inside out. Like you say, it can be used for holidays etc!

Hi DazAmy

We have had a few quotes

£1650 for the van only in a shared container

£2185 approximate from Iron Lady in a sole container

£3550 in a 20ft sole container and filling the remain 250 cu ft with personal stuff.

then we are allowing about £2500 for import tax and getting it on the road but it should be less than that

we couldn't sell it we have had it 9 years taken it back to bare metal and rebuilt it , so we know it inside out .

Trouble with buying one when you get there is you don't know what's underneath plus they are even more expensive in Oz.

after restoring it over the last 9 years we feel its now payback time so it's going to be our home for the first year. My partner and I with our 2 dogs, so it will be cosy !

We had the same problem with our car and goods was cheaper to send the car via Ro Ro separately. I was not sure at first but they are special car transporters. They use them for brand new mercs etc all enclosed. Custom clearance is cheaper this way too.

Hi DazAmy

We have had a few quotes

£1650 for the van only in a shared container

£2185 approximate from Iron Lady in a sole container

£3550 in a 20ft sole container and filling the remain 250 cu ft with personal stuff.

then we are allowing about £2500 for import tax and getting it on the road but it should be less than that

we couldn't sell it we have had it 9 years taken it back to bare metal and rebuilt it , so we know it inside out .

Trouble with buying one when you get there is you don't know what's underneath plus they are even more expensive in Oz.

after restoring it over the last 9 years we feel its now payback time so it's going to be our home for the first year. My partner and I with our 2 dogs, so it will be cosy !

Ah thanks so much for the numbers, very useful. Completely understand, we took stripped back to a shell and bare metal, replaced so many panels, and lovingly put it all back together ourselves, she's our baby! Like you, we know every nut and bolt on this van, I don't fancy starting the whole resto project again, it took us 2 years to restore and we were working on it non stop. I think hubby is concerned that if it needs a deep/steam clean it will be damaged, but I don't think that will happen, like I said, it's been stripped back to bare metal so it's pretty clean anyway.

I can't see him leaving it behind, he gets the polish cloth out every time we stop somewhere, so embarrassing in the petrol station lol. Do you know if you're allowed to fill the van with personal effects as well??

Ah thanks so much for the numbers, very useful. Completely understand, we took stripped back to a shell and bare metal, replaced so many panels, and lovingly put it all back together ourselves, she's our baby! Like you, we know every nut and bolt on this van, I don't fancy starting the whole resto project again, it took us 2 years to restore and we were working on it non stop. I think hubby is concerned that if it needs a deep/steam clean it will be damaged, but I don't think that will happen, like I said, it's been stripped back to bare metal so it's pretty clean anyway.

I can't see him leaving it behind, he gets the polish cloth out every time we stop somewhere, so embarrassing in the petrol station lol. Do you know if you're allowed to fill the van with personal effects as well??

You can only put in Van related things , as its a camper we can leave in camp kettle/pots /pans etc, tools for the van and the awning but no normal household things.

Although our shipping company did say that if we are shipping in a sole container with 250 cu ft of personal stuff they would put our surfboards inside the van so give us a bit more space as its only one board bag to quickly remove when it arrives.

we still haven't decided on which way to ship yet .

you can also ship 'roll on roll off' which is cheaper but we would worry far too much about it getting damaged that way.

There is a big VW scene in Oz . You would probably regret it if you didn't take it .

When and Where you heading too ?

Don't know if you do any shows in the UK but we are doing our last one in September (vanfest) then it will be shipped

We had the same problem with our car and goods was cheaper to send the car via Ro Ro separately. I was not sure at first but they are special car transporters. They use them for brand new mercs etc all enclosed. Custom clearance is cheaper this way too.

is that roll on roll off ?

Archived