Buying new stuff in Australia ,where to go ?

leajk

You can only put in Van related things , as its a camper we can leave in camp kettle/pots /pans etc, tools for the van and the awning but no normal household things.

Although our shipping company did say that if we are shipping in a sole container with 250 cu ft of personal stuff they would put our surfboards inside the van so give us a bit more space as its only one board bag to quickly remove when it arrives.

we still haven't decided on which way to ship yet .

you can also ship 'roll on roll off' which is cheaper but we would worry far too much about it getting damaged that way.

There is a big VW scene in Oz . You would probably regret it if you didn't take it .

When and Where you heading too ?

Don't know if you do any shows in the UK but we are doing our last one in September (vanfest) then it will be shipped

Oh I see, well that would take care of the camping equipment I suppose, shame you can't stuff it full hey! Yes I would worry with RORO too. I'm thinking 250 cu ft is rather large for personal effects, maybe not furniture etc, but until I have decided what to take I don't even know what size containter to get! I think we will really regret not taking her with us, I constantly check Aus versions of ebay etc and you're right, they're more expensive and lots of them have been 'Australianised' (completely made up term by myself)which I am not keen on, ugly bullbars etc, yuk.

We do as may of the shows as we can, think we may be going to Jimmys farm for Alive and VDubbin on 6th June. She's been off the road for a couple of months as she needed a new clutch but that's done now, hubby is very handy with all the maintenance.

We are heading to Melbourne, specifically Kilsyth to start with, eastern suburbs. We are going as soon as our house is sold, we had a second viewing last night so fingers crossed that will be soon. I was lucky enough to be born in NZ ( my parents emigrated in the 70's then came back when I was only 2), so I have citizenship and the passport, which I've been able to pass on to my children. Hubby's spousal visa cost a few hundred and was done in a matter of weeks so we've had a much easier ride than a lot of people, for which I am grateful and not gloating. All my family are over there and that's who we will stay with initially, we've done 6 weeks with them before so I'm sure we'll manage for a couple of months til we find our feet. I am very aware that we have an easy route Down Under, I've wanted to go for years and now the time seems right, our boys are very excited, they've heard us talk about it for so long!

Where are you heading? I honestly cannot wait x

Oh I see, well that would take care of the camping equipment I suppose, shame you can't stuff it full hey! Yes I would worry with RORO too. I'm thinking 250 cu ft is rather large for personal effects, maybe not furniture etc, but until I have decided what to take I don't even know what size containter to get! I think we will really regret not taking her with us, I constantly check Aus versions of ebay etc and you're right, they're more expensive and lots of them have been 'Australianised' (completely made up term by myself)which I am not keen on, ugly bullbars etc, yuk.

We do as may of the shows as we can, think we may be going to Jimmys farm for Alive and VDubbin on 6th June. She's been off the road for a couple of months as she needed a new clutch but that's done now, hubby is very handy with all the maintenance.

We are heading to Melbourne, specifically Kilsyth to start with, eastern suburbs. We are going as soon as our house is sold, we had a second viewing last night so fingers crossed that will be soon. I was lucky enough to be born in NZ ( my parents emigrated in the 70's then came back when I was only 2), so I have citizenship and the passport, which I've been able to pass on to my children. Hubby's spousal visa cost a few hundred and was done in a matter of weeks so we've had a much easier ride than a lot of people, for which I am grateful and not gloating. All my family are over there and that's who we will stay with initially, we've done 6 weeks with them before so I'm sure we'll manage for a couple of months til we find our feet. I am very aware that we have an easy route Down Under, I've wanted to go for years and now the time seems right, our boys are very excited, they've heard us talk about it for so long!

Where are you heading? I honestly cannot wait x

You are really lucky , we had a rough ride getting our visas and a lot of expense but its all good now.

we are starting out in Sydney as we have friends we are staying with until the dogs and van arrive once we are all sorted ( we have allowed 6 weeks )

we will be hitting the road for about a year going clockwise before hopefully finding somewhere we would like to settle. it will be a big adventure and one we are really excited about we are hoping to have a website so people can follow our journey

250 cu ft is not as much room as you think its only a space about 6ft by 6ft and 7ft high.

Ro Ro no riskier cars get damaged via container shipping too actually getting them in is risky. You should insure it anyway. Our Audi TT roadster arrived fine and it was also brought overland from Melbourne as shipping direct to adelaide was slower and more expensive.

Ah thanks so much for the numbers, very useful. Completely understand, we took stripped back to a shell and bare metal, replaced so many panels, and lovingly put it all back together ourselves, she's our baby! Like you, we know every nut and bolt on this van, I don't fancy starting the whole resto project again, it took us 2 years to restore and we were working on it non stop. I think hubby is concerned that if it needs a deep/steam clean it will be damaged, but I don't think that will happen, like I said, it's been stripped back to bare metal so it's pretty clean anyway.

I can't see him leaving it behind, he gets the polish cloth out every time we stop somewhere, so embarrassing in the petrol station lol. Do you know if you're allowed to fill the van with personal effects as well??

Customs and quarantine are VERY particular when it comes to steam cleaning,our vehicle had been detailed and was spotless but was steam cleaned twice by AQUIS at a cost too !

Customs and quarantine are VERY particular when it comes to steam cleaning,our vehicle had been detailed and was spotless but was steam cleaned twice by AQUIS at a cost too !

Hi Patsmb - wow really! Was it expensive??

Hi Patsmb - wow really! Was it expensive??

cant remember the cost just the kerfuffle invloved

The steam cleaning twice was annoying as the firm invloved in Oz in doing the steam cleaning obvioulsy did not do a good enough job ,just took up more time in the end getting the car back on the road

Archived