I'm moving to Melbourne in 3 wks and I'm looking for advise on which qualifications/cards/licenses would be the best to get. I have no experience in mine work as I've been a property renovator for the last 15 years. I really fancy a career change, can anyone help, big thanks

Can't help re qualifications but mining industry is in a big decline just now. Many people being made redundant from mines therefore lots of experienced mining people looking for jobs. Possibly not the best career change choice at the moment.

Melbourne is a long way from the mines....A bit like living in London and working in Greece. If you have no skills relating to mining, I think you have missed the boat there. Victoria's unemployment is pretty high at the moment. It may be a case of grabbing whatever work you can and then thinking about changing direction.

Given that you are arriving here for the start of winter , just remember that the weather does improve....!

As a mining professional I can only agree with what other posters have said.

Also be wary of companies advertising tickets for mining as mining companies don't recognize many of them and the ones that are recognized you would be chasing jobs against people with them and with experience.

When you say mining job what are you after. I'll tell you now the chances of driving a Big Yellow Truck are remote as there's loads of people in the queue for that, many with multi-skills, however, if you're inclined to do a mining engineering degree you'll have pretty good prospects.

There are gold fields around Balleratt and brown coal mines down Gippsland way but the industry is tiny in Victoria compared to QLD or WA.

It's one of those industries where doing external machine training is not helpful - you can't train on a 20 tonne excavator then jump on a Liebherr R 9800 for example. Generally mines will use someone like Workpac to get a selection of potential operators, do on-site training and give contractor site positions to maybe 5 out of a cohort of 30.

There's usually a contingent of HSE people on site, you might want to look at doing an OHS qualification and a trainer assessor ticket, but again, without site experience you'd not be the first choice for those jobs.

Some of the major sites have project managers like Bechtel running the show (and they're not too popular with staffies, they're known as Bech***** for a reason). they usually have position for project administrators and things like that.

If it's an industry you really want to get in to you'll have to spend some serious time thinking about what you want to do, and probably move states.

When you say mining job what are you after. I'll tell you now the chances of driving a Big Yellow Truck are remote as there's loads of people in the queue for that, many with multi-skills, however, if you're inclined to do a mining engineering degree you'll have pretty good prospects.

There are gold fields around Balleratt and brown coal mines down Gippsland way but the industry is tiny in Victoria compared to QLD or WA.

It's one of those industries where doing external machine training is not helpful - you can't train on a 20 tonne excavator then jump on a Liebherr R 9800 for example. Generally mines will use someone like Workpac to get a selection of potential operators, do on-site training and give contractor site positions to maybe 5 out of a cohort of 30.

There's usually a contingent of HSE people on site, you might want to look at doing an OHS qualification and a trainer assessor ticket, but again, without site experience you'd not be the first choice for those jobs.

Some of the major sites have project managers like Bechtel running the show (and they're not too popular with staffies, they're known as Bech***** for a reason). they usually have position for project administrators and things like that.

If it's an industry you really want to get in to you'll have to spend some serious time thinking about what you want to do, and probably move states.

Had 2 jobs where Bechtel was the manager of the project and I could not agree more. And that was in the 70s building the iron ore railways in WA. Still, they were excellent...for getting extras for the construction co. I was with Like drilling, blasting clearing a rail cutting that was too tight for 1 km long ore trains because one of their "engineers" missed a decimal point Another $500 K extras, thank you.

Cheers, Bobj

As has been said the industry has cut back and laid a lot of experienced people off. The only real chance would be for you to be in an actual mining town such as Mt Isa, Kalgoorlie or broken hill etc. Even then it is more a case of who you know not what you know. Chances for a new guy are really slim at the moment.

Archived