What did you keep for the last month in uk after the container has taken everything??

louise84

Hi

Myself, partner and baby (currently 8 months old!) have booked our one way flight for the 9th October!!! We are renting our house in the UK out so are looking at shipping our stuff in a container around the end of august then living with parents for a month!!! I was just wondering what everyone kept with them for the last month especially with having a baby and all the restrictions on airlines with luggage!!??

Lou xx

Clothes, iPad, laptop, shoes, kids toys, nightlight, hair dryer, straighteners, etc. basically everything you might need for a long holiday. Oh, and a suitcase scale - helped to ensure each suitcase only weighed 20kgs. I paid for an extra suitcase so had four between the three of us (me and two kids - OH went over a couple of weeks before us). Glad I did as I still didn't quite get everything in. Had to leave behind coat hangers and heavy winter coats.

Just a few old clothes that I threw out before we left. Stocked up on make up from Boots for the case. Borrowed pretty much everything else from friends and family who were only too pleased to help - we borrowed furniture, plates, pans etc. It was great, no tidying up to do! Like living in a caravan!

Books are expensive here.....stock up for the kids books for the container. It was the only thing I wasn't prepared for. I miss my amazon!

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't made our move to Aus yet as we are waiting on the final stages for our visa, but I have done one international move so far and travelled for long periods with my kids. Look up some moving checklists. I found some really useful ones on Pinterest. For your baby take anything that brings small comforts, some favourite toys and some new ones to explore on the plane and once you get there but keep things simple. No need to go overboard. Borrow what you can or rent things out. I like to be organised so I have already started writing copious lists!! Things I always travel with are:

For the kids:

Baby monitor

small lightweight pushchair with UV net & raincover

night lights

eating equipment- bowl, fork and spoon, sippy cup, bibs etc and a few empty containers to store uneaten food

a few lightweight books

car seat if you are taking one (once in Aus this needs to be from Australia- we bought our last one on a trip there)

enough clothes for a week then wash & rotate!

basic toiletries

swimming gear and beach wear!!

activity bags

laundry bag

for us:-

ipads/ laptops

cameras

Jewellery

file with important paperwork needed for banking/ rentals-car & house/ references/ CVs etc

few basic items for kitchen

plug adaptors - lots of them!

city guides/ maps if you have them

business cards

any medications

first aid/ emergency meds

clothes for a week( for the season)

Interview clothes if needed

I wouldn't overthink it too much as worse case you can always replace things there.

Good luck with it all!

Don't forget to use your hand luggage allowance to the max too! We kept old clothes to wear up then got rid before flying. Do carry all important documents with you, certificates birth etc and educational, financial things etc. Also shipped the desktops but carried the external hard drive/ memory with us.

also don't forget your sense of humour!

One thing we forgot to pack in our take with us luggage, as opposed to the container, was shoe cleaning stuff! Vital if you're going to be dong job interviews when you arrive and before your container does! Of course, we do have shops here so you can buy stuff when you arrive! When we've had holidays to the UK my Mum has met us at the airport with charity shop coats for the kids - then we just donate them back when we leave.

Oh and for the person who mentioned missing Amazon - http://www.thebookdepository.co.uk is your friend - free worldwide delivery, cheap books, get here in about 7 days.

Just to add, if you end up with too much stuff for your suitcases, you can ship a box over in 3 days with Transglobal, reasonable rates too. We did this at the end, and put in essential stuff like plugs, extra clothes and shoes which kept us going until the container arrived.

Archived